LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Pacesetter Install Questions...

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2004, 07:12 PM

Pacesetter Install Questions...

They'll be waiting at my door for me Tuesday when I get home from work and I'm gonna attack them right away.

I already have the stock manifolds off, passenger side valve cover, oil filter and the rear two plugs on each side of the engine.

For those of you who have already installed them...do I need to remove the starter, dipstick, anything else?

All info appreciated for ease of this install.

These are ceramic coated 93-97 "race headers" (no air or egr). I will be putting on the Summit universal x-pipe 2.5" system. All help appreciated. Thanks.
Old 06-06-2004, 07:43 PM

well, when i put mine in i took off the steering linkage and the oil filter to get in the driver side header, i also took out a temp sensor in the head. To get the passenger in all i did was took out the starter and the dipstick.
Old 06-06-2004, 07:55 PM

I took out the temp sensor too (actually I broke it taking out the stock manifolds)....I already have tons of parts and bolts lying around the garage from stuff taken off. I'll take the starter off, that should be easy, but I've heard the dipstick can take a lot of finesse to get back in.

Does the dipstick go inbetween two of the header pipes or is it "outside" of them? Because if it goes between two of those pipes, it will obviously have to come out

Can these headers be installed from up top?? My guess would be yes since they are slip fit and have no collector flanges.

Thanks
Old 06-06-2004, 08:06 PM

They go in from the bottom. The oil dipstick tube has to come out no matter what....put it in the freezer, round off the end (taper it in a way), and it will go back in without any problems. It took about 5 minutes of wiggling with 1 guy under the car and 1 guy up top. Starter had to come out, but the oil filter didn't. I was actually experimenting trying to see if the driver side would fit in, and the oil filter was on. I didn't realize that until after the header was already in, lol.

*EDIT* spray some silicone lubricant on the end of the dipstick tube and it will go in easier. Or you can just use motor oil if it makes you more comfortable....