LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Pacesetter Long Tube install...

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2005, 01:06 PM

Re: Pacesetter Long Tube install...

I didnt have to use anything out of the ordinary to install them.I just removed the valvecovers and steering linkage, then slid em in from the top. I spread my install time over 4 days after I got off work, couple hours each day. Total it was somewhere near 10 hours, but it would have been much less if I just did all at once.
Old 04-26-2005, 01:10 PM

So if installing these on a '96-'97 car, will I need an s-pipe to fit the y-pipe up to my catback (Corsa)???
Old 04-26-2005, 01:15 PM

So would it be easier you think to remove/install from the top? I thought it would be easier for both to remove/install from the bottom assuming the car is 24" off the ground...
Old 04-26-2005, 03:18 PM

i dont think 24" will be enough. f-body headers are huge (to me at least). when i had my car on jackstands, approx 19-20", it looked impossible. some people who do it from the bottom end up having to pry part of the k-member down. you can always try to put them in from the top first, then if they won't fit, keep on jackin it up.
Old 04-26-2005, 04:07 PM

Like I said, I drove up on rhino ramps and installed mine.
Old 04-26-2005, 05:08 PM

You installed long tubes, Loadre? coz on your site they look like some sort of crazy shorty's/mids. Pacesetters are way longer and not as compact as what you have pictured.

Yours
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member.../272045_17.jpg

vs
Pacesetters
http://www.ls1speed.com/catalogimages/PS70-2253.jpg

Last edited by mourningyou; 04-26-2005 at 05:13 PM.
Old 04-26-2005, 09:55 PM

So what do most people do? Slip them in through the top then?
Old 04-27-2005, 12:15 AM

I slid both mine in through the top, removed my starter, alternator, steering shaft coupler, valve covers, oil filter and they went in fairly easy through the top. The hardest part for me was getting the old exhaust off, actual install wasn't too bad for me.
Old 04-27-2005, 06:07 AM

haha I've just not updated my cardomain site. Those are AS&M dual cat headers, btw.
Old 04-27-2005, 09:28 AM

i hacked out my y pipe with a sawzall, made getting the manifolds out real easy. sttering linkage and the dipstick were the only things that i removed, but something that will help you a great deal is a set of helping hands. I had my brother stand above me to get a bolt started on each side so that the headers would be held in place until i got out from under the car.
Old 04-27-2005, 03:51 PM

Easiest install ever, did not have to jack up the motor at all, the drivers went right in from the top and the pass in from the bottom as soon as I removed the dipstick. Have fun enjoying them.
Old 04-27-2005, 09:50 PM

Hey Insanez...

What else did you move/remove to get the passenger side header to fit in?

Dipstick only?
Old 04-28-2005, 12:15 AM

The LT install was very easy for me. I didn't jack my car up any higher than a standard set of ramps. The headers slid right up and in. I could have left the plugs in if I wanted. No jacking up the motor, no taking off the steering shaft, etc. It was quite a bit easier than what alot of people make it out to be. I know I have an LS1, but it can't be much different than an LT1.

Jason
Old 04-28-2005, 12:25 AM

Sence everyone seems to have had good luck with theirs I will post my bad luck /problems. I put ramps under the back wheels and put the front up on jack stands as far as they would go .Then I called my pops to bring my his cement blocks over because it was still not far enough up. You are gonna want a jack that can jack verry high other wise you will have to stage the car up . My driver side header went in with little trouble but the pass side was a real pain. I get it bolted up and the egr hook up was making direct contact with the tranny dipstick tube. One of the primarys was making contact with the tranny bell hosing. The air fitting wouldnt connect due to the fittings being a couple inches lower than on my stock manifolds. Having to figure out how to get that air tube out took a half a day and a dremel to get out. Finding a place that carried 22m drain plugs took a few days. had to order. Doing wires was a pain because I didnt know that wd40 would end my frustration with tring to get the opti boots on the wires. Definitly give your self at least a day more off work if thats your only car, just incase you run into problems. I hope your install goes alot smoother than mine It will be worth the scraps and trown tools when you fire it up, especialy because you have a cam
Old 04-28-2005, 12:40 AM

Mine is touching the passanger side of the bell housing too. Ill just beat on it with a hammer when I get ready to fire it up.

Other then that. The install went straight forward with slipping them in from the top.

Quick Reply: Pacesetter Long Tube install...