LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related
View Poll Results: what type of headers should I get?
Save your money for LT's and the exact setup you want
59.09%
Your car is pretty busted up already. Just get the cheap headers and call it good.
4.55%
shut up.
36.36%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Pacesetter LT's vs. Edelbrock TES headers

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 10:28 PM

Pacesetter LT's vs. Edelbrock TES headers

First off, yes.... I did a search and read about both types of headers. I just want some peoples personal opinions based on my circumstances.

I have wanted longtube headers and dual cats (one for each bank) on my 94 Z28 for a while now. The whole setup I want will be really expensive though. I think it will between $600-700 once I factor in the headers themselves, a pacesetter ORY with two catco cats welded into it, new o2 sensors, gaskets, clamps, broken bolts, beer, etc.....

I can't really afford that right now.

A guy on a V6 board I frequent wants to sell me a set of Edelbrock TES middies in very good condition with a single 3" hi-flow cat aft of the "Y", for only $150.

While that isn't exactly what I want, it's a set of good quality headers for really cheap.

I'm not trying to squeeze every last bit of horsepower that I can possibly get. I want a good autocross car with a little more high RPM torque, that sounds good, and that gets better gas mileage. BTW, I'm lowered 2".

What should I get? should I spring for the cheapo used headers, or should I wait several months and get the nice longtubes?
Old 04-15-2008, 11:58 PM

Get the headers and cat back if possible. It was the best mod I did.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:06 AM

I already have a catback system. Which headers are you talking about, the shorty's or the LT's?
Old 04-16-2008, 12:24 AM

from what i've noticed on these boards is a bunch of long tube ******* riders.

Are LTs the best? Yes.
Are you going to gain a lot of horsepower from the $500 difference in price? No.
With your car being lowered 2" will your Y pipe bottom out a lot? Probably.

With that being said, My car is also lowered 2" and I have Edelbrock TES Shortys w/ the factory Y pipe.

I have a friend with a 11 sec '96 SS running who ran through mids and finally switched it out to Long Tubes. He said he noticed less than a tenth in his quarter mile times.

I do however plan on raising my car in the future, and when I build my forged 355 I will go to a LT header. But for a bolt-on and or baby cam car? Save yourself the money.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by 6SpdLT1Z

Are LTs the best? Yes.
Are you going to gain a lot of horsepower from the $500 difference in price? No.

With that being said, My car is also lowered 2" and I have Edelbrock TES Shortys w/ the factory Y pipe.

I have a friend with a 11 sec '96 SS running who ran through mids and finally switched it out to Long Tubes. He said he noticed less than a tenth in his quarter mile times.

I do however plan on raising my car in the future, and when I build my forged 355 I will go to a LT header. But for a bolt-on and or baby cam car? Save yourself the money.

Your right there are a lot of long tube nuthuggers. I think until people have tried both, that they shouldn't talk all the bs about the others. I used shorties previously on my car. The difference was night and day between manifolds. I have bought long tubes, and would have done it first this way, had I known my motor plans for the future.

Mids and shorties, save clearance issues for sure.

Oh and I voted shut up BTW.
Old 04-16-2008, 01:13 AM

shut up is winning in my poll. Maybe I shouldn't have put it up there.

Ls1tech has nothing but bad things to say about Edelbrock headers. Holy crap.

I will be autocrossing this car, and the extra 5 HP from longtubes will mean nothing to me in the twisties.

Honestly, I want the car to sound really cool and get better MPG more than I want HP. Do these edelbrock shorties sound good?

BTW, nice avatar 6SpdLT1Z. I graduated from K-state in 2004.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:25 AM

Granted the long tubes will probably offer some better gains over the Edelbrocks, for your goals, it doesn't seem relevant. Also, seeing that you have a 2" drop done to the car, having long tubes and a catted y-pipe may make things challenging as well. In your case, I would probably go for the Edelbrocks and save some money.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by 6SpdLT1Z

Are LTs the best? Yes.

Gotta agree with him on this one. However, I run the Edelbrock shorties and Y-pipe and I am not real impressed with them. The fit and finish is just okay. To top it off after I installed them I had the car dynoed and I gained 7 rwhp but lost 10 ft/lbs of torque. These are peak numbers and its been so long that I can't remember what the entire powerband looked like compared to the stock manifolds. With that being said, I would probably save your money until you can get what you really want.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:01 AM

Save your money, i've heard the same bad things about the eddy shortys, i would just wait untill you can get some mids.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:07 PM

I've been doing some searching lately on this because I want to put headers on my 96 camaro. I plan on going for the pacesetters but since my car is OBD II i dont know how to eliminate the cat due to the O2 sensor that is behind it.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:13 PM

Save your money..i had a set of edelbrock shorties on my first Z and they cracked constantly...
Old 04-16-2008, 12:34 PM

Ive tried both, and long-tubes with a 1 3/4 dia tube are my choice.

You do have to consider your lowered vehicle though and if you want your 500$ headers smashed up.

I had hooker shorties and an ORP on my car first with a cc 305 and home ported heads,(when it was a stock short-block) the car ran 12.50s regularly (3000 stall, 3.73 gears).

I switched to Hooker LTs and mufflex Y and ran 12.20s with no tuning , and 11.9s with some tuning.
Old 04-16-2008, 01:23 PM

You could always get extrude-honed stainless LT4 manifolds and further port them out...
Old 04-16-2008, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by 1996camaroSSclone
I've been doing some searching lately on this because I want to put headers on my 96 camaro. I plan on going for the pacesetters but since my car is OBD II i dont know how to eliminate the cat due to the O2 sensor that is behind it.
Get an ORY & then have the rear 02s eleminated out of the PCM, all that will happen is the SES light will come on, won't hurt an performance.
Old 04-16-2008, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Malice 1
I already have a catback system. Which headers are you talking about, the shorty's or the LT's?
With your car lowered, get the shorties. I have them and it is a noticable difference from stock manifolds. That will aloow more mod money for suspension goodies.

Quick Reply: Pacesetter LT's vs. Edelbrock TES headers