LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Pantyhose mod

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2004, 04:33 PM

Are those fishnets or regular pantyhose?
Old 03-22-2004, 11:51 PM

Any pics yet?
Old 03-23-2004, 08:21 AM

I think I will leave mine alone.
Old 03-24-2004, 10:28 AM

No pics yet, and probably can't get any until next week. If you go to Home Depot and get a Fernco 3-4" rubber sewer coupling, and put pantyhose on the 4" end, then you don't need a pic.

It's still working great. With the nitrous, it's... sick.

Plus, it frees up a ton of space under the hood, where the CAIs usually go.
Old 03-24-2004, 11:54 AM

Well, I have ditched the filter quest. Several seemed close, but no cigar. This is with the straight bellows anyway. If you leave the elbow on, K&N makes two potentials

Round Straight Universal filter;

3" mounting (shaving required to fit on MAF), 4.5" wide (should fit) and 5" long.

Straight Oval Universal;

3.5" mounting (no shaving) 4.5" wide and 7" long.

Fram also makes alittle cone filter that I think could be modified to work. I'll get the p/n and post it later today.

I have not bought or tested any of there, but I probably will buy the straight oval eventually.

For now, I'll be doing the PH filter, but I think I'll apply a dash of K&N oil first. If it doesn't dissolve the hose, I think it'll help catch more of the fine stuff.

I wonder where the trade off in the density of "cold" air sucked in by the CAI will compare to the extra air being pulled by the PH mod. According to you numbers (276 w/CAI and 308gps with PH) your seeing ~10% more air coming to the MAF. That is no small gain.

JSK333: Can you read you IAT results with your scanning gear? I'd be curious to see what the results are when your engine is warm and your stopped, rolling around town and crusing at freeway speeds with the PH mod. I suspect (maybe erroniously) that there is alot of airmass entering the engine bay when the car is moving and the intake air is not that hot. At least not hot enought to offset the gains from the increased airflow.

Here's hoping

Last edited by EbeZ28; 03-24-2004 at 11:57 AM.
Old 03-24-2004, 12:01 PM

Yeah, I was going to post an update anyway!

Part of the reason for the 309gps (I had it wrong) was the unusually cold air we were having on that day. More recently, in warmer weather, I only saw the upper 280s (which is still higher than with the CAI).

And yes, I can measure IAT. On the cold days (lower 30s F), it was staying around 7*C!!! More recently, with warmer weather (60s; gotta love Cincinnati's weather changes) it was higher, but I can't remember for sure how much. I'll check later, but I think it was in the teens C.

Do you have a model # no the 3.5" oval filter? I may try it with my current setup.
Old 03-24-2004, 12:04 PM

Ive used a sock instead of a PH to see how it would be and all I have to say is that it boggs my car when Im going 50mph and I get on the gas, but at low mph its ok....

I just wanna know why would we wanna just run off the maf? Why would you just want the hot air from the engine compartment?

Wouldnt that hurt the engine's performance cause of sucking in the hot air?
Old 03-24-2004, 12:37 PM

Originally posted by JSK333
Yeah, I was going to post an update anyway!

Part of the reason for the 309gps (I had it wrong) was the unusually cold air we were having on that day. More recently, in warmer weather, I only saw the upper 280s (which is still higher than with the CAI).

And yes, I can measure IAT. On the cold days (lower 30s F), it was staying around 7*C!!! More recently, with warmer weather (60s; gotta love Cincinnati's weather changes) it was higher, but I can't remember for sure how much. I'll check later, but I think it was in the teens C.

Do you have a model # no the 3.5" oval filter? I may try it with my current setup.
I couldn't make heads or tails of the part #'s. Here is the page.
Old 03-24-2004, 01:04 PM

Originally posted by WhiteThunderZ28
Ive used a sock instead of a PH to see how it would be and all I have to say is that it boggs my car when Im going 50mph and I get on the gas, but at low mph its ok....

I just wanna know why would we wanna just run off the maf? Why would you just want the hot air from the engine compartment?

Wouldnt that hurt the engine's performance cause of sucking in the hot air?
A sock is probably too thick to allow much air to pass. The results in the post above suppport my hypothesis (sort of). My hypothesis is this: I suspect that the air getting to the MAF is not heated excessively by the engine compartment. Especially when the vehicle is moving.

(IMO) air will circulate to a degree in the compartment from updrafting air (from under the car) and from air entering where the stock airbox used to be. JSK333 was seeing 8-9 degree warming of the air. On a cold day he saw the MAF max out. Since it is measuring gps (a mass #). Dense or not dense, it took in all the air it could measure, if I understand this correctly.

I think the number of twists and turns even in a good CAI may impede air flow and affect pressure in the system negatively.

I could of course be talking out my a$$. I suppose a dyno test between a CAI and filtered MAF might help as well.
Old 03-24-2004, 02:22 PM

I'd say you are sucking sand, small particles, your engine will be toast before you can hike up your skirt and swing your purse, Bit**!
Old 03-24-2004, 02:50 PM

Originally posted by 1msfyter
Interesting . Id prefer a rred thong for my car

So NO filter only pantyhose? Got pics?
rofl...funny.

I've done the pantyhose on my jeep in an emergency and on the car long time ago while testing the crappy airbox, it makes a huge difference. Just get a K&N CAI will be as good the pantyhose.
Old 03-24-2004, 04:56 PM

ROFL

I did find a filter that with some "modifications" will couple right on the end of the MAF. It's a Fram CA8142. I had to trim the goofy ring off of it and use a bit of 3" and the 3"-4" coupler fro my CAI to get it all to slip together.

Biggest PITA is trimming the inner opening to accomodate the 3" tube. I shaved the opening (wiothout cutting the filter element itself. I also needed to separate the filter elements a bit and in 2 spots need to close a 1/16" hole with some good ol RTV. I used the 3" (or 3.5" I forget) tube from the K&N FIPK kit, but 3" PVC would work as well. You can't see it anyway.

PM me if you are interested and I'll send pics. I'll post as well is anyone is interested. I'd love to see someone test this setup for measured flow at the MAF. I noticed a LITTLE SOTP change, but small enough to be in my head. Certainly not worse.
Old 03-24-2004, 04:58 PM

What size is the inlet on this Fram?

It fits between the radiator and ABS stuff?
Old 03-24-2004, 05:21 PM

I've heard of Bras and TA girdles, but fist time on pantyhose. I like to think of my car as macho, but I really wonder about you guys dressing up your cars IN DRAG instead of FOR DRAG.
Old 03-24-2004, 05:25 PM

Originally posted by JSK333
What size is the inlet on this Fram?

It fits between the radiator and ABS stuff?
Inlet was slightly less than 3."

See for yourself

http://www.stonecreeknetworks.com/filter1.jpg
http://www.stonecreeknetworks.com/filter2.jpg
http://www.stonecreeknetworks.com/filter3.jpg
http://www.stonecreeknetworks.com/filter4.jpg
http://www.stonecreeknetworks.com/filter5.jpg
http://www.stonecreeknetworks.com/filter6.jpg

The bottom of the filter parts (since there is no outer casing) where it butts into the ABS. Sits right on the corder of the radiator shroud. Hood shuts like it always used to

Last edited by EbeZ28; 03-24-2004 at 05:31 PM.

Quick Reply: Pantyhose mod