LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Percy's making "Breslin style" header bolts?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 01:25 PM
BTC

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY: Dalton, GA: Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
I'm pretty sure the guy at Boese adjusted his prices when he learned that the Breslin bolts were no longer being manufactured. He might lower his price if Percy's is cheaper.

I used stainless Breslins on my headers. The only real issue we had was getting a wrench between the primary and the 3/8" head. We just ground down the box end of a 12 point wrench, and it worked pretty well. I haven't locked my bolts yet, but I did check to see if I could easily get an allen wrench on them and they all seemed pretty accessible with a short allen wrench.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by BTC
Are your claims that they are rubbish spoken from a standpoint of personal experience? .
I am basing my claims that it's absolutely RETARDED to spend $50 on header bolts when ARP's will get the job done. My personal experience is based on using ARP's for the last 6 years and they've never loosened up after the initial "heat cycle/gasket" re-torque.
Originally Posted by JoeliusZ28
i spent $50 on them once and id do it again. I installed mine 3 years ago and i havent even bothered to check them since. also not all bolts are easy to get access to. Do it right or do it again IMO.
Good for you. I did it right by spending $30 less for the same results.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:28 PM

They're only ~$20 more for the Breslines. Hardly seems like making such a fuss over...especially when you consider the prices of all the other mods we put on our cars. Hell that's barely half a tank of gas.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:12 PM

I think it depends on someone's needs frankly. Locking header bolts may be a great path for some, but not others. My friend who trashed his header gaskets on the dyno because his bolts backed out, the Stage 8 locking bolts have served him well for almost three years now. Me, being the cheap guy I am, I used the crummy 1" bolts that came with the Pacesetter headers and they have never loosened a bit since the day I installed them.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:28 PM
BTC

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY: Dalton, GA: Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
The bolts that came with my Kooks headers would have probably gotten the job done. I should have kept the bolts, sent the headers back and picked up some used Pacesetters. I may go ahead and weld some soup cans together, maybe run them dual dumped before the axle, and get a refund on my exhaust. I'll probably go with Progresso cans since they're the biggest I've seen.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by BTC
The bolts that came with my Kooks headers would have probably gotten the job done. I should have kept the bolts, sent the headers back and picked up some used Pacesetters. I may go ahead and weld some soup cans together, maybe run them dual dumped before the axle, and get a refund on my exhaust. I'll probably go with Progresso cans since they're the biggest I've seen.
I'll trade you my slightly rusted, coated Pacesetters for your Kooks. The soap cans are at your own expense though.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:42 PM
BTC

If I had not found the Breslin bolts, I would have gone with ARP's. I don't think I would have gone with the Stage 8's. After reading a lot of threads, the stainless Breslins were the bolts I wanted. I looked all over for them too, and was on the verge of throwing in the towel. I clearly need to schedule some time for an IQ test.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:48 PM
BTC

Originally Posted by 2000GTP
I'll trade you my slightly rusted, coated Pacesetters for your Kooks. The soap cans are at your own expense though.
You would love the Kooks. I can't say the same for the soup can duals. There are some huge leaks around the welds.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:52 PM

The breslin bolts are a pain to get on tightly with pacesetters. If they were to make a 6 point style I think it would be a much better design. But as far as them loosening, I have had a couple start to back out but for the most part had good luck with them. Definatly not worth the money though if your on a budget.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by BTC
You would love the Kooks. I can't say the same for the soup can duals. There are some huge leaks around the welds.
Yeah, welding aluminum is no easy task.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by ssbowtie1
They're only ~$20 more for the Breslines. Hardly seems like making such a fuss over...especially when you consider the prices of all the other mods we put on our cars. Hell that's barely half a tank of gas.
my thoughts exactly. I got better things to worry about like my date in my passenger seat than my header gaskets leaking. Its funny how these cant even be discussed without someone saying they arent worth the money. If you dont want to pay for added insurance you dont have to. Generally speaking its no different than the level of auto insurance policy you choose.

Last edited by JoeliusZ28; 02-05-2008 at 11:05 PM.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:26 AM

Don't know what the big deal is... the peace of mind of 12/16 bolts(cant recall how many now) not backing out was well worth a few extra bux . The cost was minimal, just the time to get at, find and fix a single leaking bolt in the future would have made it worth it to me.... Mine have been on for almost 2 years and I've never had to retighten them once...
Old 02-06-2008, 02:06 PM

I ran regular old ARPs for my LT swap, no issues.
Old 02-06-2008, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by ssbowtie1
Nasty excuse on how to waste money. It's more like a $30 difference when shipping is factored in for both. Whatever the case may be it's not necessary and $30 is $30 no matter how you look at it.
Old 02-06-2008, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Nasty excuse on how to waste money. It's more like a $30 difference when shipping is factored in for both. Whatever the case may be it's not necessary and $30 is $30 no matter how you look at it.
I paid $65 shipped for my stainless steel breslin bolts. At Summit the arp's are 32.99+11 s&h = $44. So it is a $20 difference. You can run whatever you want, I'm not ******* on arp's. In fact, I was going to get those initially. However, to me I can save $20 in other ways that are less valuable than having some locking header bolts.

When I mod or fix my car, I do my calculations in $100 increments, because I understand and accept the fact that our cars are not exactly the cheapest to maintain. Also, to me, I like to do something right once, even if it costs more money.

To each their own.

Quick Reply: Percy's making "Breslin style" header bolts?