LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

performance shift mod or transgo?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2003, 10:48 PM

care to elaborate? lets find these people who say it f'ed up their tranny, i think shoebox has done it, thats the only reason i was leaning toward doing it...i tend to follow the people that know their **** ya know!
Old 07-01-2003, 06:12 AM

I run the HPP shift firming...AND use the 'performance mode' mod...
probably got about 20k on both mods, 50-60[approx] track passes... no probs here?
Old 07-01-2003, 07:02 PM

I found the pic of diagram, but its a 2.86MB Bitmap..
anyone want's it let me know
Old 07-01-2003, 07:19 PM

The performance shift that is built into the pcm is not going to hurt your tranny. Realize that it was put there by GM. I have been using this for some time.

Also, the HPP firmness, IMO, is not agressive enough to hurt anything either.
Old 07-01-2003, 09:02 PM

i was reading on the link that the switch replaces the cigarette lighter (i may be reading this wrong), if so then wheres my radar detector gonna go ?
Old 07-01-2003, 09:15 PM

Originally posted by chevyboy_z28
i was reading on the link that the switch replaces the cigarette lighter (i may be reading this wrong), if so then wheres my radar detector gonna go ?
I have not re-read that link, but I believe what that is saying is that you buy another panel that has the lighter and switch in it, instead of just the lighter. That is purely for a stock look and is not required. All you need is a momentary contact button (normally open) and then a light or LED for the tell-tale indicator.
Old 07-01-2003, 09:23 PM

ok one last thing, could i get the new panel that will have two switches (the one that it says for convertibles) so i can wire the shift thing and a manual fan switch or will i have to put the fan switch somewhere else?
Old 07-01-2003, 09:26 PM

anybody got any pics of the switch installed, im confused?
Old 07-01-2003, 10:49 PM

ok one last thing, could i get the new panel that will have two switches (the one that it says for convertibles) so i can wire the shift thing and a manual fan switch or will i have to put the fan switch somewhere else?
I think both those switches are momentary switches. The momentary won't work for the fan switch.
Old 07-02-2003, 09:39 AM

darn, still does anyone possibly have pics of the switch installed on their car

Last edited by chevyboy_z28; 07-05-2003 at 09:41 AM.
Old 07-02-2003, 09:49 AM

You know, when I was wiring my truck up and saw the option in the pcm wiring, I thought it was only for pontiacs. I have ample room and have routed the wires so they are super easy to get to, I may do this mod while waiting for the rain to blow over!!

Thanks guys!

I know this is redundant, but if you had lt1 edit, couldn't you just copy the parameter from the performance shift mode over? Just another avenue, I kinda like the idea of being able to switch it on and off, going to stop by radio shack and pick up a little momentary push button to wire in. can't wait!!
Old 07-02-2003, 01:16 PM

darn, still does anyone possibly have pics of the whitch installed on their car
Here is an example.
Old 07-15-2003, 09:17 PM

Talking HOLY SMACKEREL!!!

Just got finished doing the mod, my god does that work!! 1/2 throttle I'm spinning going into second!

If my seat back wasn't there I swear it'd about jerk me into the extended cab of the truck!! It really firms up the shifts and makes the tranny more sensitive to your big toe, if you even slightly dip into the throttle while you are going down the road, bam, it downshifts and is ready!! Kinda like my wife when Aunt flow rolls into town every month.. Good thing about the performance switch is that I can shut it off.

Seriously guys, it does work. My motor is out of a 94 z, I wired everything up and it works great, it really drops the gears and firms up the shifts, almost like dropping the clutch in a manual on each upshift, it's pretty cool!
Old 07-15-2003, 09:48 PM

Yes Yes Yes.... My Perf Tranny mod works good too... At 1/4 throttle the car will rev up to about 4500 rpms before it kicks into 2nd gear and it does it with authority.

At cruising there is not a diff from standard mode but once you begin to dip into the throttle the Hammer Comes Down!!

No No I didnt screwed up my cig lighter... I did position the momentary swith dead center between the cig lighter and the bottom of the panel and the LED also half way from the top of the panel to top of the cig lighter chromed ring.

so the panel is divided in 3 parts.... from top down.... Led/cig lighter and Momentary switch. I carefully balanced the distances and it looks as if factory installed except for the red led .... its small but doesnt quiet match any colors around.

Guys since the led comes on and stays on.... I will rig up other stuff to the led to activate my stealth mods. I will use a custom made transistor amplifier to power relays for the big juice mods.
(grin). Things like Water or Propane injection...(Activated At Wot) and hmmm and other things I may even eventually sell to other guys.

Right now its only lots of ideas in my head though.

Tranny mod.. do it.. its fun

Marvin
Old 07-15-2003, 11:15 PM

Originally posted by Hotwire
You know, when I was wiring my truck up and saw the option in the pcm wiring, I thought it was only for pontiacs. I have ample room and have routed the wires so they are super easy to get to, I may do this mod while waiting for the rain to blow over!!

Thanks guys!

I know this is redundant, but if you had lt1 edit, couldn't you just copy the parameter from the performance shift mode over? Just another avenue, I kinda like the idea of being able to switch it on and off, going to stop by radio shack and pick up a little momentary push button to wire in. can't wait!!
Yes, you could copy the performance tables to the normal table, switch normal and performance (so performance would be on when you start the car), or make a "race only", radical performance mode by modifying the tables further. With the programmer, you can basically have it any way you want. The cool part is being able to toggle between the modes.