LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

performance upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 09:34 PM

performance upgrades

Finally it looks like i will have some money to put into my car and was wondering if you guys can help me out a bit. I have a transmission ,converter ,and headers in mind as well as the lt4 hot cam kit but what i dont know is if i should get my heads ported and polished as well as intake to match or look at an after market setup. I am getting one hell of a deal on the transmission so i should have 2.5K or so to spend on further upgrades after the converter and headers. Thanks for any opinions
Old 01-01-2007, 09:45 PM

What are you looking for as far as performance goes? 12's? 9's?

As far as headers and converter go that is a good place to go next. Possibly bigger tires or suspension to get you to stick a little better, or, maybe even a heads and cam combo.

All of your options are really limited on how much power or speed you are looking for.

~Jim~
Old 01-01-2007, 09:48 PM

how about a set of gears. preferably 3:73 for the A4. they would help your light to light pretty good. also youre probably at a good point for a pcm tune.

Last edited by zl1dreams; 01-01-2007 at 09:50 PM.
Old 01-01-2007, 09:51 PM

looking for low 12's i have the headers, stall, and cam picked out already, just wondering how much performance ported polished heads with matched intake would give me compared to after market heads/intake manifold. Just looking for the most cost effective way for me to reach my goals.
Old 01-01-2007, 09:54 PM

i have a buddy who is really good at tuning his ls1 and may buy the tuner and get him to help me out with the tuning. i have 3.23 gears currently and would like to get the rear end modified, it just may have to wait until some more cash is freed up.
Old 01-01-2007, 09:59 PM

what stall are you looking at?
Id recommend the yank ss 3200
get some 3.73s, LT headers, exhaust, and the hotcam, along w/ suspension and drag radials, id say you'd be good for low 12s
Old 01-01-2007, 10:12 PM

Thats the one my friend suggest, yank 3200 stall. i will look at getting the gears done, depending on cost. i was just figuring since i will have the top end off getting the cam kit installed i would look at getting the head work as well as the intake. I may be able to squeeze another 1k to 1.5k for additional work. I am selling one of my beater cars (94 lincoln) for some extra cash. i figure i might as well get as much done as i can now since i have the help from a couple knowledgable buddies to give me a hand putting it all back together.
Old 01-01-2007, 10:23 PM

if you can, save the money from the hotcam kit, and get some extra money and get a LE1 or LE1.5 head/cam combo. That would be about perfect for your goals and near your budget.
The yank SS series stalls are very streetable too. I rode in a buddies that has a yank SS3600 (same that i have sittin in my garage), and it drives like a 2400 stall, but feels like a bus rear-ends u as soon as you punch it.
Old 01-01-2007, 11:47 PM

I don't know about stalls much, but you should get one to match the cam you want. I'd vote against the hotcam since you can do better for just a little more. Lloyd Elliot is very popular here for heads/cam combo. You don't have to take the heads off to do a cam swap, though, although they are one of the biggest restrictions after everything else you've mentioned. Do gears, stall, headers, exhaust first.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:11 AM

if you have that kind of a budget, i would ditch the hotcam setup and get ahold of LLoyd about one his head/cam packages.
Old 01-02-2007, 02:56 PM

If you have the budget for ported heads and matched intake, then I would make a call to Lloyd. I would also ditch the Hotcam idea and get a cam through him. An LE1 or LE2 package, headers, stall, tune, gears, and tires will definitely get you towards your goal.
Old 01-02-2007, 03:23 PM

Maybe holding off for a little while and investing in a new engine woud be a good idea.

Seems to me like you are going to put alot of money on the top half and hope the bottom stays together. Not that i am saying this is a bad idea (and there are alot of people that do this) but it would be a shame for you to spend alot of money on heads, cam, matching ports and all the acces. and have to rebuild down the road due to some sort of Mec failure. Also maybe a 12 bolt is a good idea if you want to be able to run 12's with out fear that the rear end will let go.

~Jim~
Old 01-02-2007, 03:28 PM

Kinda depends on how many miles are on your motor too. Cause too big of a cam or any cam at all on a high mileage motor might not be good.
Old 01-02-2007, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by BassProCamaro97
Maybe holding off for a little while and investing in a new engine woud be a good idea.

Seems to me like you are going to put alot of money on the top half and hope the bottom stays together. Not that i am saying this is a bad idea (and there are alot of people that do this) but it would be a shame for you to spend alot of money on heads, cam, matching ports and all the acces. and have to rebuild down the road due to some sort of Mec failure. Also maybe a 12 bolt is a good idea if you want to be able to run 12's with out fear that the rear end will let go.

~Jim~
I agree. Maybe you should get some of the smaller mods now so you don't get bored and build another motor on the side. There's plenty of LT1 blocks around.
Old 01-02-2007, 08:56 PM

thanks for all of your suggestions. Actually i got a really good deal on my car . Paid $1100.00 for it has 80k on motor driven softly by an older guy that ragged the hell out of the inside and body but probly never drove the car over 75 mph. I know him.. Still the car ran a 14.2 with the bald tires that came on the car.The sunshell on the transmission is gone, so no reverse . I am getting a 700r4 from a friend so i will be doing this conversion as well as the stall in a couple weeks. The guy did not maintain the engine very well so i really do not know how long it will last, it doesnt leak or use oil though. Hell, i have a friend of mine who installed a 6 psi powerdyne blower on his 96z and that thing hauled ***. I am thinking of going this route as well as the headers and stall and if the engine goes i will build the engine right. what kind of times do you guys think this will get me and how does this sound. May only be short lasted power but it will be fun. I agree with the previous guy who posted about building the top of the motor up with no idea of how long the bottom will last... Especially if this moron i bought the car from took care of the motor as well as he did his interior and body... Thanks again for your opinions.

Quick Reply: performance upgrades