LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

performance upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by jhall
thanks for all of your suggestions. Actually i got a really good deal on my car . Paid $1100.00 for it has 80k on motor driven softly by an older guy that ragged the hell out of the inside and body but probly never drove the car over 75 mph. I know him.. Still the car ran a 14.2 with the bald tires that came on the car.The sunshell on the transmission is gone, so no reverse . I am getting a 700r4 from a friend so i will be doing this conversion as well as the stall in a couple weeks. The guy did not maintain the engine very well so i really do not know how long it will last, it doesnt leak or use oil though. Hell, i have a friend of mine who installed a 6 psi powerdyne blower on his 96z and that thing hauled ***. I am thinking of going this route as well as the headers and stall and if the engine goes i will build the engine right. what kind of times do you guys think this will get me and how does this sound. May only be short lasted power but it will be fun. I agree with the previous guy who posted about building the top of the motor up with no idea of how long the bottom will last... Especially if this moron i bought the car from took care of the motor as well as he did his interior and body... Thanks again for your opinions.

From the way you speak of the previous owner i would assume that the maintence done on the car was close to none, which really makes a difference in how long parts will last. The first things i would do is flush the radiator, change the tranny fluid/filter, change the rear diff fluid, fuel filter, air filter, plugs/wires, just general things to get the car running good. Definetly change the oil, if you havent already and just pray that its been changed more than a time or two...maybe check out your pcv valve, run some seafoam,a can or two through it, maybe check out the coil/coil wire, run some injector cleaner (if the **** actually works, who knows) or pull your injectors and take and have them cleaned. Just a thought. I bet you could pick up .1-.3 in the quarter mile for only a hundred bucks or two of general things if its not ever been done...

Also, if your interior is junk inside, and you dont care, get rid of things you dont need, rear speakers, spair tire, jack, rear seats, hatch panels, A/c Work? If not get a a/c delete pulley. pull the emisions of, air pump, egr,

This might not be the direction your thinking of, but you could definetly regain some power and drop your ET's for $2oo or so

Just a thought.