LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

PICs of my clear lights conversion

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2003, 12:14 AM

PICs of my clear lights conversion

Here are some pictures of my clear lights I did this past week.

[IMG]

Last edited by 96blkform; 10-07-2003 at 12:18 AM.
Old 10-07-2003, 01:29 AM

Old 10-07-2003, 10:22 AM

Thanks for the comments. The corners did come from procarparts.com, and yip they sent the wrong bulbs. I was pretty mad about that, as I had already taken one out and then I had to put the original lense back in and go over to autozone. Got all 4 of the bulbs, the little ones too, cost around $10 for them, did not really count on having to spend that. The do fit fine though, did have trouble with the passanger side, getting the bulb holder to fit, but it worked after some force. I agree, like the way they look with clear bulbs, thought about doing that, but the cops around here are very picky and I am sure that I will get pulled over.

The tail lights, coversion was easy to do, just the stock tailights, unbdo the 2 tabs at the back, pull apart, can be difficult, need a bit of muscle, as RV selent quite tough. Then just take out the red refelctor. Took me only an 1 or so to do, real easy and if I want to go back to stock, jst pull apart and put red reflector back. Bulbs, could not find red bulbs, only the small ones for the small outer ones. I just got some red bulb covers from autozone. They do not look pink at all. I will try and get a picture tonight with them on and post it. I have had a lot of comments on them. Got the idea from some of the members on fbody.com, they have done it. Let me know if you have any more questions, will try and maybe make up a guide to do them, just got a digital camera the other day.
Old 10-07-2003, 10:31 AM

I made mine in the sig
Old 10-07-2003, 10:36 AM

Hey, that looks pretty good.

I get so sick of clear tails, except for when I see the couple of F-bodies that I've seen them on... I think they look good when the taillight "grid" is retained. I like it. I think it'd look better without the red strip under the taillights though. Good job overall
Old 10-07-2003, 11:03 AM

Hey guys, If your looking for aftermarket bulbs for the clear corners....go to....>
www.sounddomain.com

In my opinion these are some good dark colored bulbs. I think they glow alot darker than the PepBoys & Kragen brands they have. I have used Sylvannia (or whatever it is that they carry) and the ambers are lightly coated which hecka sucks!

So go with sounddomain and on the top banner click "shop". The shop page will pop up and scroll down until you see "vehicle lighting". When the lighting page pops up you want to click "exterior bulbs" and then click "eurolite". The exterior bulbs will give a choice of 1157 ambers or the 3156 ambers. The 3156 are the new bulbs that are being used. You can convert the old 1157 bulbs to the newer 3156 bulbs. Make sure you get bulb grease incase your sockets are dry. Trust me on this...dry sockets get your bulbs stuck and they break off wich will just **** you off.
Try to get the Xenon bullbs that are brighter and last longer.

The smaller bulb for your turn signals will be on the "interior bulb" page. Again you want to get the "eurolight" bulbs. You will see that they have the 194 Xenon ambers.

I have seen a grey 2000 SS with Eurolight Xenon Blue bulbs for the turn signals and the rear side markers with the rear license plate blue bulb. It actually looked really nice. Oh, and he had the map lights blue as well.
Old 10-07-2003, 11:38 AM

I always thought to make the car look smooth, you wanted everything to blend in. By putting clear corners on a black car, they stick out 10 times as much as they did before. On a white or silver car, it would look awesome beacause they would actually blend in more and give the car a smoother look. With black, tinting your stock lenses would have looked badass. Would you paint your door handles white too? Same thing.
Am I the only one who thinks this way?

I actually did the clear tailight mod on mine and it looked horrible during the day. I put LED bulbs in and everything. When they lit up, 3 dots of red lit up in this big tailight. The red diffuser that I removed is what spreads the light out over the big lens. When you take that out, you have 3 dots.
Being my car is red, I'll probably go with Firebird V6 tailights(all red).
Old 10-07-2003, 02:51 PM

Nice job...

Yea, I made all my clears.. front's and tails...

The good lighting with the clear tails is still an issue...Even with my custom bulbs.. although Gen2 is being designed and built as I type this.. Those should work 100X better than anything I've seen. :Cool:

And yes they do stick out more with a colored car.. but I like the way the silver goes with the Red... so the clear/silver tails goes well with the Red car, silver Decals, and Silver rims.. It'll look even better if I can afford to get my Silver Pearl stripes put on...