LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Piecing Together Cam Swap Parts -- Have Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2005, 01:38 PM

Piecing Together Cam Swap Parts -- Have Questions

Before anyone says anything.. I've already done a couple of searches and I've emailed a couple of people and I haven't quite gotten then answer that I am specifically looking for.

Here's the skinny:

I've got a '94 Z28 A4 (55,500 miles) which right now has full exhaust (LTs, 3" all the way back) and Intake.

I'm looking seriously into the LT4 Hot Cam because I can get it at cost through a friend of mine that works at a Chevy dealership. I've read multiple times that it is suggested you do the timing chain when you do the Cam swap because you'll thank yourself later. I am all about "Do it Once, Do it Right" so thats why I'm doing all of my research now.

I was going to get the extreme duty timing chain set (GM) at the same time I ordered the Hot Cam Kit, but I soon find out that it isn't compatible with the non-venti opti. Now.. I would go ahead and do a venti-opti conversion but I just had the opti replaced at 32,000 miles. I hate to re-do stuff, esp. when I'm on a budget being a starving college student. I've done searches on Timing Chains and today I called the Summit Tech line to get a part number on a 'better than factory' timing chain that I can do with the LT4 Hot Cam Kit. He suggested swapping to an Electric Water Pump, and then doing the SUM G6601 (Click for Link)

Would this be the best option? Are there any other options as to what I can do?

Thanks,

-WhyHelloOfficer
jblazina@ufl.edu
Old 07-13-2005, 04:05 PM

Re: Piecing Together Cam Swap Parts -- Have Questions

You still might want to check their price with aftermarket deals. Just for the heck of it (comparing what the kit comes with).JMHO

PS: If you are a "starving college student" I'd skip timing chains and water pumps if they aren't necessary.
Old 07-13-2005, 04:16 PM

The opti issue... Part number C3039 Through O'reilly's autoparts says it's compatible with a 94Z and it's a Cloyes which I used on mine and I heard were a decent quality.. Might as well get some 1.6GM RR's from your friend while your at it too
Old 07-13-2005, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by BUBBA
You still might want to check their price with aftermarket deals. Just for the heck of it (comparing what the kit comes with).JMHO

PS: If you are a "starving college student" I'd skip timing chains and water pumps if they aren't necessary.
Seals for what? I am a starving college student, but at the same time this is my daily driver. And if I'm going to tear this thing apart I'm going to get everything done at once.

Originally Posted by SoloExceptional
The opti issue... Part number C3039 Through O'reilly's autoparts says it's compatible with a 94Z and it's a Cloyes which I used on mine and I heard were a decent quality.. Might as well get some 1.6GM RR's from your friend while your at it too
So I can use the timing chain without a new waterpump? Is it a double roller? Where is a site for O'Reilly's?

Also for the record -- I'm getting the entire Hot Cam Kit at cost
Old 07-13-2005, 10:02 PM

If the Summit timing set is like the picture they show, it won't work. There are no splines to drive your non-vented opti.
Old 07-13-2005, 10:11 PM

either way, you'd be better to swap to a vented setup. if your buddy from gm gets cost, have him order you a vented opti. you can always sell your nonvented with low miles for a decent price on the boards. helps eliminate loss. if you want to go with a very strong setup, go electric water pump and a cloyes double roller. if you want intermediate strength, go with the lt4 extreme duty chain and run the stock waterpump. the LT4 ED chain will run you 270 retail...u can pick up a cloyes DR for 80, and then get an electric pump new for 200, or u can find some good low mile ones on the boards, or even unopened new ones. so as far as retail prices go, you'll come out about the same either way. i'd recomend a mezier electric pump. i've seen them last 4-6 years on guys cars easily. i only put about 5k miles/year on my Z, so i figure mine will last a long long time...knock on wood. some people complain about electric pump going out, but stock style autozone waterpumps will last shorter than that. btw, i've gone through 2 autozone waterpumps on my truck, and 3 gm fuel fuel pumps in 100k miles. yuck on autzone. anyways, there's my opinion
Old 07-13-2005, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by blackztpi
either way, you'd be better to swap to a vented setup. if your buddy from gm gets cost, have him order you a vented opti. you can always sell your nonvented with low miles for a decent price on the boards. helps eliminate loss. if you want to go with a very strong setup, go electric water pump and a cloyes double roller. if you want intermediate strength, go with the lt4 extreme duty chain and run the stock waterpump. the LT4 ED chain will run you 270 retail...u can pick up a cloyes DR for 80, and then get an electric pump new for 200, or u can find some good low mile ones on the boards, or even unopened new ones. so as far as retail prices go, you'll come out about the same either way. i'd recomend a mezier electric pump. i've seen them last 4-6 years on guys cars easily. i only put about 5k miles/year on my Z, so i figure mine will last a long long time...knock on wood. some people complain about electric pump going out, but stock style autozone waterpumps will last shorter than that. btw, i've gone through 2 autozone waterpumps on my truck, and 3 gm fuel fuel pumps in 100k miles. yuck on autzone. anyways, there's my opinion

The issue with the LT4 Extreme Duty Timing chain.. it has to be with a Vented Opti. It is probably going to lean towards doing the Vented Opti. I was just trying to do the most cost efficient install possible.

Still looking for suggestions. Any and all are welcome.
Old 07-13-2005, 10:22 PM

Sell the LT4 ED chain and buy a Lunati one. It's designed for a non-vented opti.
Old 07-13-2005, 10:31 PM

the lunati timing chain............. big thumbs down.... the lt4 ED chain has to be with vented opti...but vented opti is better anyways for the cams sake. most cams have a hole in the end, for the pin of the opti to go into. the dowl length will not be the same either
Old 07-13-2005, 10:37 PM

If you convert over to a vented opti you'll also need to replace your timing case cover with one from a 95.
Old 07-13-2005, 10:52 PM

So basically you're telling me there is no way around this. I'm going to be doing it all no matter what?
Old 07-13-2005, 11:40 PM

btw, i have a 95 vented opti cover for sale. 35 shipped. has hole welded over (where water pump drive stuck through) to accomodate for an electric water pump
Old 07-14-2005, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by blackztpi
btw, i have a 95 vented opti cover for sale. 35 shipped. has hole welded over (where water pump drive stuck through) to accomodate for an electric water pump
Thanks for the offer. I'll look into it. Once I find out for sure what my options are I'll let you know.
Old 07-14-2005, 07:41 AM

You can always put in a stock replacement timing set. 93-94s have very few options and a lot of people are running stock sets. As far as the Lunati set goes, it is basically a stock set. Neither is as strong as an LT4ED or Cloyes, but they still work.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:13 AM

Just go with a stock timing set dude. You aren't going to hurt anything.

Quick Reply: Piecing Together Cam Swap Parts -- Have Questions