LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Please help...fixed opti now it overheats.

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2003, 03:07 AM

Please help...fixed opti now it overheats.

Well i spent all day replacing my opti sensor. And i mean all day it took me almost 9 hrs. Basically just got done. It still misses a little but not as bad as it was. I can't tell if it got rid of the "service engine soon" light because when i was letting it warm up after i finished, i went to wash my hands and i came back and it said "check guages" so i turned on my lights and my temp guage was all the way to the top. I checked my hoses all of them seem to be in the right place and none of them are leaking. I filled up my radiator all the way. Does anybody know what this can be. Has anybody encountered this after replacing their opti.
Old 05-04-2003, 03:18 AM

did you fill up your radiator, close the cap, and start the car?

When you fill your radiator, after it is full, you have to start the car and continue to add coolant, as the running engine will suck coolant into the block, draining the radiator...

in other words, once the radiator is full, the water pump takes all of that and puts it into the engine, so you have to replenish its supply.
Old 05-04-2003, 03:54 AM

i'm not on expert on this but you may have to bleed or burp the system because any air trapped inside can cause heat problems.. had this happen on my truck after the 383 swap. i'm pretty sure there are 2 bleeder screws or u could try opening the cap carefully and listening for lots of escaping air. were the electric fans running? good luck man.
Old 05-04-2003, 09:18 AM

You need to have the bleeders open (2 of them) when refilling the cooling system, also, are you sure you hooked the fans back up?
Ron
Old 05-04-2003, 12:50 PM

Are you talking about those 2 little screws on the hoses. If so mine were both shut when filling it up. Do you think i messed it up or can i just open them up and fill it up some more. I opened the resivoir and filled that to the top.
Old 05-04-2003, 02:30 PM

they were shut? open them and keep adding coolant until it spits out of them. as it spits out of those bleeder valves, close them until you can't add any more coolant.
Old 05-05-2003, 12:36 AM

Well i did what you said about the bleeders and it still overheats. The fans are not comeing on now. I checked the plugs and they are both plugged in. If i turn the a/c on they come on. But i let the temp guage go over half way and neither came on. Also the worst part is the "service engine soon" light came back. So now i'm sort of worse off then before. Because i may of replaced a perfectly good opti. I gonna take it to the dealer now to have them diagnose it because i don't know what else can be wrong with the car. I changed the plugs and wires, the opti, and i had the fuel injectors serviced.
Old 05-05-2003, 02:33 AM

check your coolant level after the car cools down. open the radiator and see if it's topped off still?
Old 05-05-2003, 09:49 AM

When you replace the opti you have to bleed all the air out of the coolant system when you get everything back together.

Best way to do this is the following:

1. make sure radiator is full and bleed screws are closed
2. run car until thermostat opens. You will know this b/c the temp will go from 250 to 160 really fast and then climb really fast.
3. turn car off and open bleed screws
4. let all air bleed out and then close bleed screws
5. check and add water/coolant if necessary
6. repeat steps until no air remains and car does not overheat.

May take 4 or 5 times to get all the air out.

Last edited by rocmemphis; 05-05-2003 at 09:58 AM.
Old 05-05-2003, 11:08 AM
Banned

did you put the water pump drive back on the pump??? and the fans won't kick on till about the 3/4 mark without the a/c. I know the drive sounds stupit but I got in a hurry once and did it myself, it was sitting in the antifreeze bucket.
Old 05-05-2003, 03:20 PM

Can you explain the what the water pump drive looks like. Is it that ring part that goes over the shaft at the back of the waterpump. If so i made sure that was on.
Old 05-05-2003, 08:09 PM

anybody??
Old 05-06-2003, 02:20 AM

I think the water pump drive would be the gear that's on the rear of the water pump....
Old 05-06-2003, 02:21 AM

I think the water pump drive would be the gear that's on the rear of the water pump....
Old 05-06-2003, 12:07 PM

If by gear you mean that thing at the very back of the waterpump. The shaft part of it i'm assuming i put the ring part back on it when i slid it back together. I think that i bled the system okay it just heats up because the fans never turn on. When i turn the a/c on they both come on. Does it matter which fan you put where. Because they are the same fan

Quick Reply: Please help...fixed opti now it overheats.