LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Please read this before you choose a cam!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2005, 08:47 AM

Re: Please read this before you choose a cam!

In my 93 I had a built bottom end (forged crank, 6 inch rods , SRP pistons) and a set of ported heads and a cc305. I removed the rev limiter (took it to max in the table) and it would still pull to 6900. I ran some 12.2s and 3s with it shifting at 67-6800, when I shifted it at 62-63 it lost almost a half a second. I would not try this too much though on a stock unprepped crank and rods.
Old 04-11-2005, 11:04 AM

i'm building a 355 right now. le2 heads, send flow #'s to cmotorsports and got this cam 2 weeks later. planning on staying around 6500 rpms or so. lower end is an eagle steel crank, eagle 6" h beams and j & e pistons. car is a 6 speed and NOT a daily driver. hoping for 11's. what ya think? full bolt on's all that stuff.

236/245 .579/.576 111 lsa
Old 04-11-2005, 11:14 AM

With that bottom end you should be good to AT LEAST 7000 rpms and with a cam that big you will probably want to shift at 6800-6900 or so.
Old 04-11-2005, 11:16 AM

cool, thanks for the info.
also, people say they don't want to reve past xx rpms..say you over rev a bottom end, whats the outcome? broken rods? messes up valvetrain.
i had a stock (rebuilt) bottom end on my previous le1 setup and never reved over 6400 rpms and it ended up throwing a rod. so whats the outcome if you over rev a car?
Old 04-11-2005, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by madwolf
I knew I was going to get some old timer criticism for this post.

Just to clarify, this was meant for people you see posting here every day. Stock heads, motor, etc and they want to get a 306, 847, or whichever idles "meaner".

I did a program for a 24x/25x hydraulic roller on stock heads not too long ago. Why would someone want a cam like that on stock heads, is beyond me.
I'm following ya, and the message is a good one.

As for the last part of that... some people fall into "More's law". Trying to out-do the other guy is ok, but you have to set limits with a clear definition (in your own mind) of what a street car is to YOU. As long as guys can stay clear on that I see no harm... although most of the really addicted eventually turn their rides into "track only" cars. Either that or they pose as "street car".

-Mindgame
Old 04-11-2005, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Mystic97Z
i'm building a 355 right now. le2 heads, send flow #'s to cmotorsports and got this cam 2 weeks later. planning on staying around 6500 rpms or so. lower end is an eagle steel crank, eagle 6" h beams and j & e pistons. car is a 6 speed and NOT a daily driver. hoping for 11's. what ya think? full bolt on's all that stuff.

236/245 .579/.576 111 lsa
Should be there, but not on HP alone. If you don't neglect your suspension and work towards cutting low 60' times, you'll be there if everything is dialed in.

-Mindgame
Old 04-11-2005, 11:34 AM

With an automatic, even with a good converter to match the cam, I always try to find out what vacuum guys are running, as my brakes are pretty important to me. 12 inHG is about as low as I like to go. Now everyones brakes are different, but the bigger the caliper, the more vacuum needed to apply the brakes.
With my 396/Hot Cam I was pulling 13.5
That to me is driveability, and you have to be realistic in your driving.
6-Speeds etc are a little more forgiving, as you can raise the idel up a little for additional vacuum.
Just my 2 cents

Last edited by vette40th; 04-11-2005 at 11:41 AM.
Old 04-11-2005, 11:57 AM

I spun my 306 to 7000rpms constantly
Old 04-11-2005, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Mindgame
Should be there, but not on HP alone. If you don't neglect your suspension and work towards cutting low 60' times, you'll be there if everything is dialed in.

-Mindgame

o i deffinately agree. was runnin mid 12's before, but could only get 1.9 60 ft! trying for 1.6
Old 04-11-2005, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by stereomandan
Even the Hotcam has an optimal shift point of 6500+ rpm. Dan
Not true really, each set up is different and you have to find the sweet spot for your set up. My HOT cam car I turned from 5800-6700, the higher the RPM the slower (ET & MPH) it went so I opted for a 6k shift point and it did very well there. Trust me, I spent a TON of time on shift points and it is more difficult to do that with an A4, an M6 or A3 it would be much easier to test with a shift light but the A4 had to be programmed, that was alot of working and sweating...
Old 04-11-2005, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Shon Herron
Not true really, each set up is different and you have to find the sweet spot for your set up. My HOT cam car I turned from 5800-6700, the higher the RPM the slower (ET & MPH) it went so I opted for a 6k shift point and it did very well there. Trust me, I spent a TON of time on shift points and it is more difficult to do that with an A4, an M6 or A3 it would be much easier to test with a shift light but the A4 had to be programmed, that was alot of working and sweating...
I should have specified that I was talking about a M6, and unless your car has a strange TQ curve for a Hotcam, 6500+ RPM shift are the best. Maybe you were getting valve float at the higher RPM's which would cause your power to die off in the upper RPM's. If you have an old dyno plot of that setup, I can tell you exactly where the optimal shift point is. It's based off your dyno curve and your tranny gearing.

Dan
Old 04-11-2005, 09:00 PM

My experience was with the A4 and TH350. and Valve float was not an issue, CC987 springs with the Ti stuff....Comp R lifters, Pro Mags, etc....it was the set up. I have seen many HOT cam graphs and would agree that power might be had up there but not in my case....

Originally Posted by stereomandan
I should have specified that I was talking about a M6, and unless your car has a strange TQ curve for a Hotcam, 6500+ RPM shift are the best. Maybe you were getting valve float at the higher RPM's which would cause your power to die off in the upper RPM's. If you have an old dyno plot of that setup, I can tell you exactly where the optimal shift point is. It's based off your dyno curve and your tranny gearing.

Dan
Old 04-11-2005, 09:33 PM

where is the best place to put the signal wire for an autometer tach n shift light? i dont think mine is reading the same as the stock tach but im not good enough to watch both of them yet lol. also Ion on my tune im not sure where you have my shift points but i think around 5800 or so. do you think they need adjusting?
Old 04-11-2005, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by 1badasZ
where is the best place to put the signal wire for an autometer tach n shift light? i dont think mine is reading the same as the stock tach but im not good enough to watch both of them yet lol. also Ion on my tune im not sure where you have my shift points but i think around 5800 or so. do you think they need adjusting?
Your transmission should be shifting right around 6400. That's where it's set at.
Old 04-11-2005, 10:21 PM

i'm curious to know what i can rev mine to to get the best power results. heres what i got 97 lt1 built 355 motor by APE forged rods, piston, and eagle crank, etc. stock heads with upgraded springs(can't remember which ones right now) chromoloy pushrods, i think pro mag rockers. cc305. m6.3:73 gears. plus i will be running anywhere from a 150 to 200 wet shot. also anyone have any idea on what i would run at the track times/mph(i have descent suspension and i usually run on drag radials)

Quick Reply: Please read this before you choose a cam!