LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Poltergeist Car

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2003, 04:29 PM

Poltergeist Car

Auto transmission
Ok, this was weird. I thought I'd share this.

A lil story....................
A few days agao I started my car at lunch break and for some reason the car was hesitant to start. Ok, no big deal. When the car started it was idling a little high over 1K, Seemed te be idling higher than normal. As I put it in reverse, it was abviouslly rough to shove it in gear. I backed out the parking space and I heard a clunk when I put the car in drive. I exited out the parking lot and casually accelerated (approx 25) down the street and the car felt like the timing was really high. I would barely press on the peddle and the car jerked like if it wanted to get buck wild from out under me. I noticed it was shifting really hard. Litterally slamming and banging into the gears. It felt so bad I had to pull over and look at my tranny mount. I know what a broken tranny mount feels like and this feeling felt internal. Well, the tranny mount is not broken because I just replaced it a few months ago. I even put the sucker on ramps and the mount is perfect. I parked the car at the house and then I jumped back into it again to return to work and the car started up normal and even went through the gears normal. So what the heck was that about? Has this happen to you?

Also I want to pinpoint a weird noise I've heard for awhile now.................
I drive the ride like a grocery getter and I've never had problems with it. I've noticed a twisting noise or some kind of noise that makes me think that something is shifting/sliding around in my rearend when I'm parked and then I put it in Reverse. And No, It's not the tranny mount. What else could it be. Tranny fluid is fine.

I'll try my best to describe the sound:
With foot on brake, shifting from park to reverse It sounds like something is loose or moves. When I heard it, made me visualize a mount loose or something. Do these trannys make this noise on normal occasion?

Thanks for the help..
Old 08-05-2003, 04:32 PM

tailshaft bushing ? as far as the shifting that has happened to me i think it has to do with the tp sensor and the maf and map those really do alot with shifting and the vss
Old 08-05-2003, 04:43 PM

tailshaft bushing ?
Ahhhh, Are you talking about the torque arm bushing?
Old 08-05-2003, 04:47 PM

no that could make a noise but the tailshaft bushing is in the tailshaft housing where the DS goes into makes a tight fit for the DS if it is worn out it will make those noises also (does it vibrate)
Old 08-05-2003, 06:09 PM

Also I want to pinpoint a weird noise I've heard for awhile now.........
--------------
tailshaft housing where the DS goes into makes a tight fit for the DS if it is worn out it will make those noises also (does it vibrate)

That sounds about what I thought it was. I explained it to one of my buddys that has taken apart a rearend before and told me to check the yolk and Driveshaft fitment. I guess to check if it's nice and firm with no-play. I wasn't too sure about his feedback but it sounds like it may be the area of concern.
Ok, so when I'm parked and I shift from park-to-drive, the twisting sound I hear may be a worn out bearing or whatever. (PARKED) I guess the Driveshaft twists from gear change within the bearing even tho I still have my foot on the brake. I knew this but wouldnt this noise be normal. Oh wait, you asked me if it vibrated.

I notice sometimes that after coming to a stop at a light and the car settles, i may feel a vibration that makes me think the driveshaft is settling or something. And when I accelerate a little "clink" is heard occassionally. I pictured it in my head like the driveshaft is trying to keep up..lol
I dunno, im not a mechanic. So is that about right to what you may think it is?

Thanks!
Old 08-05-2003, 06:16 PM

now th twisting noise while stopped i doubt that is bushing that could be internal tranny
Old 08-05-2003, 06:19 PM

could be a pinion bearing diff carier bearing or a wheel bearing in the rear also but with foot on brake not moving you here a twisting sound not sure about that like i said could be internal the bushing i am talking about is brass and it is right there at the end of the tailshaft on the tranny where the seal is if you pull the DS out you will see it it has grooves in it for fluid to go around it also
Old 08-05-2003, 06:21 PM

you said it was slamming gears right
Old 08-05-2003, 08:00 PM

Ok, so if it's a pinion bearing..how do I know for sure that's what's causing it?
I was thinking of backing the car up on ramps and taking a look at the driveshaft. Any signs I should look out for as far as looking for anything odd? Or the only way to tell is by disassembeling th driveshaft?
Should the driveshaft not move at all when I wiggle it back-and-forth or is there a lil bit of play when it's wiggled back-and-forth? I have to wait until this weekend to check it out, but knowing what to look for now or test out will give me a head start. If you give me any pointers, I can look for obvious signs and then when I'm done making the observation I will let you know what I saw and so on.

Thanks again....
Old 08-05-2003, 08:03 PM

should be no play in tailshaft. does the car make noises like whining when going down the road and change with gas pedal positions
Old 08-05-2003, 08:13 PM

Come to think of it....I did notice a gear whine noise a few times. I recently heard it two weeks ago for the first time. Kinda sounded like the same whine I be hearing when I watch the races at the track but alot softer.
I'm not sure if it's the same noise that your referring to. I'll try listening to it when I get on the freeway tonight and see if it changes tone when shifting or if it gets louder.
Old 08-05-2003, 08:15 PM

if its pinion it will change tones when you let off the gas and give it gas. if wheel bearings you will hear it in turns.....carrier bearings well you just hear them
Old 08-05-2003, 08:32 PM

sell it lol j/k