LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Poly motor mount issues!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 10:35 AM

Poly motor mount issues!!!

I am trying to swap my old motor mounts with new polyurethane ones and it is being a HUGE pain in the @$$ so far. I can only get 1 of the 2 bolts that hold the motor to them back in. I have tried loosening everything and they will still not fit. I have even dropped the entire K member trying to wiggle them into place but still no luck. The mounts are from Prothane and are the right ones but I cannot for the life of me get them to fit. Has anyone ran into this issue before? I have spent 3 nights so far trying to get these things to work. My next option is to open up some of the bolt holes that hold the mounts to the k member so I can get some more adjustment out of them. Is this a bad idea? Should I just try getting different mounts or what? I am about out of ideas and patience.
Old 01-16-2009, 04:07 PM

I just did mine on my '94. I used the Prothane ones as well. Are you talking about the two long bolts that attach the engine to the mounts? I assume you have the Prothane pieces already in the mounts? I had some trouble lining the holes up as well. I got the passenger side one in first and then, using a jack with a piece of wood between the jack and the oil pan, I gradually jacked it up and down until I could slide the bolt back in. If you haven't already, you might want to unbolt the trans mount.
Old 01-16-2009, 04:47 PM

I think he's talking about the bolts that hold the mounts to the block, not the mount to K-member ones.

IIRC they were a pain in the butt for me too. I didn't drop the k-member or anything like that though. Basically I just kept monkeying around until I got them.
Old 01-16-2009, 04:51 PM

tried a jack under your motor lift it up?
Old 01-16-2009, 04:52 PM
Banned

I have never had a problem with them...
Old 01-16-2009, 05:37 PM

I would not open up the holes on the k member. You can always loosen the driver side mount from the block if you want adjustment, then tighten back up. This is at least how I would approach this before doing things that you cant undo. (just throwing ideas)

I would install the problem side bolt first, then go to the driver side.

Are you sure everything is correctly in there?

Last edited by Dave1980; 01-16-2009 at 05:40 PM.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:14 PM

I had troubles back when I did mine. If I can remember correctly, I think I had a jack with a piece of wood under the oil pan, and then I bolted the bottom part of the bracket to the K-member. I think I left the big bolt that goes through the brackets in, but not tightend. To get the bolts into the block, I think I had to gradually do it, then lower the engine slightly, then tighten more, and lower slightly, then tighten more.

I think that is how I did it.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:24 PM

I think you are talking about the long bolts? If so then I had a similar problem, it was Poly inside the mount was making the hole to small for the bolt to go throught. I cant remember which one it was but i do rememder that it was the one thats the same Part # as the 2nd gen camaro's,which has a smaller around bolt. I had to take it back off and drill it out. worked fine then!!! Good luck.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:57 PM

I had the same problem with one mount not sitting down right. I was able to get one bolt in one side and get the other one started, but it would not go all the way through....

I had to get a punch, pull the back of the hole in line, then hit the bolt through with a hammer.

I did all this when my engine was out of the car. I can't imagine what it would be like with it in the car.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by 95zsean
I think you are talking about the long bolts? If so then I had a similar problem, it was Poly inside the mount was making the hole to small for the bolt to go through.
That was a problem on mine too...
Old 01-18-2009, 12:03 PM

Yes, unfortunately I have tried all of these things and none of it works, I have loosened everything and they still wont work. I appreciate all the suggestions but I guess I am going to have to do some modifying. I don't know what is wrong with the set that I have but everything is installed correctly, I have checked several times, and they still won't work.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:00 PM

I GOT IT! I finally got them in place this afternoon and I did not have to do any modifying. It's amazing what taking a few days off from working on something will do. I was going trying to figure this out earlier in the week but after letting it sit for a few days it worked like a charm today. Thanks for all the advice from everyone but I've got to go cruise now!
Old 01-18-2009, 08:12 PM
Banned

Mine was a pain to line up as well.
In retrospect, it probably would have been smarter to bolt both plates up then do the long bolt last.
Oh well, live and learn I suppose.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by James Montigny
Mine was a pain to line up as well.
In retrospect, it probably would have been smarter to bolt both plates up then do the long bolt last.
Oh well, live and learn I suppose.
uhh, that how it is designed to go together....

how else would you do it?
Old 01-18-2009, 08:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mdacton
uhh, that how it is designed to go together....

how else would you do it?
I bolted mine to the Kmember, fully-assembled, then put the motor down on it and bolted it in.
Then, I rolled it back under the car (was a motor swap project)

Quick Reply: Poly motor mount issues!!!