LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Ported AFR 210's just got back, need feed back

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 04:50 PM

Looks like the heads need to be deck a few more thousands to remove those scratches. Other than that I hope thats the only problems you have.

-B

P.S. You have a P.M.
Old 01-17-2007, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by tireburnin
I don't like the fact that the head isn't deburred. All of the edges are still sharp or even knicked in some places. When my Ai heads came back they had the edges cleaned up.
If you blow up the pics and look closely, you can see that at least the chambers, valve cover rails, and deck surface bolt holes are chamfered. Maybe not at the pushrods, or water passages - I couldn't tell for sure.

As to the scratches on the deck surface, I wouldn't worry about them unless they are deeper than the machining marks. If they have a high burr take it off by hand.

I thought quality of the work looked pretty good, from my limited experience. I would touch up the rough spots by the outer sparkplugs as mentioned above, if they were mine. Just enough to take off the sharp edges.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:02 PM

Without seeing them in person, they look just fine. The holes you see break through on almost all ported heads, and many heads have the rocker stud hole into the port even un-ported. You need to use permatex #2 on the rocker studs, and a little lock-tite on a set screw to thread into the perimeter bolt holes that will not be used.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:05 PM
Banned

Seriously..... Have you ever noticed the hole in every ported head from the rocker arm stud?

PUT SOME THREAD SEALER ON WHATEVER YOU USE FOR VALVE COVERS! FOR THAT MATTER DO IT ON THE INTAKE ROCKERS AS WELL!!!! A lot of people forget this and wonder why they are eating oil.

I would just get a set of VC studs from ARP and throw thread sealer on them and leave them be, it's not a issue at all. Your other option is to have a port that's not shaped and sized correctly just so a hole that doesn't hurt anything looks cosmetically better.

The head has been deburred, if there are no sharp edges where you will cut your hands, it's fine.

The end chambers.... I'm guessing you are talking about the area by the plug that is a obvious casting issue and the porter didn't grind the crap out off that area to make it look pretty? THAT IS A GOOD THING. The casting is shaped to work the way that works best not look pretty.

As for the deck surface.... doesn't look like it will be an issue upon installing them. The best way to fix that if you feel you have to is get a very large hard sanding block, like you would use for body work. 220 wet sand paper and sand it with solvent running over it. You would have to tear the head down to do this, but as I said it doesn't look like it will cause a issue at all.

Put it this way, from the sounds of your tranny work at least this time you didn't get hosed like you did then.

Bret
Old 01-18-2007, 01:11 AM

Now I don't have to wonder who ported the heads
Old 01-18-2007, 05:14 AM

sorry for the slkow response, I have been SWAMPED lately.

I guess Jody was originally unhappy with the "problems" mentioned but seems to be fine now.

Here is an email (below) that I sent him regarding these "problems".

After reading some of these posts, I figured I would straten things out since

He had sent me some used 918 bee hives (still checked good on pressure) from an LS1 engine that had LS1 retainers, locks and locators. These parts could not be used so he bought some Comp 795-16 retainers from me ($50) and I threw in the 611-16 locks ($32) and 4705-16 locators ($40). I was just explaning why "his" parts are not on the heads.

Honestly, the decks look fine but it is hard to tell from a pic with that glare so I told him to take them to a local shop and get them, surfaced again if he sees problems there AND I WILL REIMBURSE HIM. They look fine to me but again, the head is not in front of me. Just wanted to be clear that he would not be out of pocket any $$$ as his email might lead someone to believe.

I was not sure if his complaint was about the surface of the deck area or the casting marks in the chambers on end cylinders but it looks like the chambers were what he was concerned with. Like mentioned by several people and anyone that has seen bare AFR heads . . . . AFR does that to the end cylinders and I am not gonna mess up the inner 4 cylinders to make them match and I can't reallt shape material that isn't there on the outer cylinders.

Anyone that has been around heavily ported SB Chevy heads with perimeter bolt valve covers has seen the ports into the valve cover bolts . . . it just happens.

I would have installed a 1/4 allen screw in the bolt hole with sealant but di not know if the customer was using center bolt or "old school" perimeter bolt valve covers. This seems like a small hurdle for a P1SC build up.

here is the email response I sent him yesterday morning . . .

>
>1 - I'll get the LS1 Ti retainers and LS1 locators out to you. They will
>not
>work on an LT1, Dart, Trick Flow, AFR, etc, etc heads since the valve
>stem
>diameter and valve guide OD of all of these heads are alot larger than
>on an
>LS1. The LS1 uses 8MM valve stems and are alot smaller than the 11/32
>stuff
>used on typical SB Chevy stuff.
>
>2 - I thought that I had emailed flow #'s to you but if you wanted a
>printed
>out sheet from me, I can get that to you also. I do not send flow sheets
>out
>with every set of heads and pretty much only do it when people ask
>(about
>once every 15-20 sets).
>
>3 - The pics have a pretty big glare on them at the deck surface and if
>you
>are talking about the end spark plug holes on each end cylinder, AFR
>uses
>that when casting/machining and it is just part of the head and the way
>it
>was made. Nothing I can really do about the way it was made. There is no
>
>material there to shape like on the inner cylinders.
>
>If you see marks on the deck of the head (again, hard to see from the
>pics
>since it is all shiny), and think the heads need to be surfaced again, I
>am
>not sure where they would have came from since the decks where perfect
>when
>I dropped them off to ship. It is 'possible" that the ladies at the
>shipping
>place could have put a nick or two on the heads and if the deck area
>needs
>to be resurfaced, just take it to a local shop and I'll pay to get that
>done. It is just not cost effective for me to pay shipping both ways
>just to
>mill the heads for you.
>
>4 - When porting a head the the 12367777 "race" gasket, there is alot of
>
>material removed from the roof. This helps flow alot, helps runner
>volume
>and allows the cross section at the PR pinch to be opened up to make
>alot
>more power. When doing this, you can get into the rocker studs and
>sometimes
>valve cover bolt holes depending on how centered they are with the
>divider
>wall between the intake ports. Just use sealant (liquid PST) on the
>rocker
>studs.
>
>If using valve covers that use the perimeter bolt holes like a std SB
>Chevy,
>just use sealant on the bolts or use studs and nuts on these bolts with
>sealant on the studs.
>
>If using "center bolt" valve covers like come on the LT1's, just get a
>1/4
>allen headed stud about 1/2 inch long and thread it in that bolt hole
>with
>sealant.
>
>Getting into valve cover bolts is pretty common when extensive porting
>is
>done on std. SB Chevy heads that use perimeter bolts but never in LT1
>heads
>since these use "center bolts" and there is not a bolt hole to fall
>into.
>
>5 - As mentioned, I could not use your small diameter LS1 locators and
>had
>to use some other locators on top of the shims. I supplied these at no
>charge but I have no use for the LS1 locators that you sent either. I'll
>
>ship these back with the locators and a flow sheet.
>
>Let me know about the chambers and if it is actually "in" the chambers
>by
>the spark plugs, that is just the way AFR cast/machined the heads on the
>4
>end cylinders and left the inner 4 cylinders with material there to
>shape.
>If it is the deck surface and the problems are just not seen by me in
>the
>pics due to glare and everything being shiny, let me know what a local
>shop
>can do this for and I'll reimburse you.
>
>Lloyd Elliott
>972-617-5671
>Eportworks.com
>
Old 01-18-2007, 10:49 AM

I also join the don't see a problem bandwagon. Like Bret said use a sealer on the perimeter valve cover bolts and on the rocker arm studs. When buying the rocker arm studs make sure they don't stick down into the port. They look fine to me from the pictures you have shown.
Old 01-18-2007, 05:41 PM

It's not a problem. Live and learn...then upgrade. We were all just a little surprised to find out it was stock. Aram's car was nearly stock when he had the 400 in it, so he didn't notice. My car blew right through it. Just wanted to give you a heads up incase you went through them again.

Spark plug area looks rougher than normal, but still shouldn't be a problem. You could get some finishing touches done to them, but it won't change anything performance wise. In the bowl your main concern tends to be hot spots (especially on a blower car), so clean up would help prevent them.

If you don't mind my asking, what did you pay for the portwork? Just curious how much it cost as AFR210s have a ton of meat to be removed to get a finished product.

Sent you a pm.
Old 01-18-2007, 05:51 PM

Just wanted to say "THANKS" for everyone opinions and advise This is the reason why I like this message board
Old 01-18-2007, 06:13 PM

[QUOTE=NightTrain66;4350557]sorry for the slkow response, I have been SWAMPED lately.

I guess Jody was originally unhappy with the "problems" mentioned but seems to be fine now.

Here is an email (below) that I sent him regarding these "problems".

After reading some of these posts, I figured I would straten things out since

He had sent me some used 918 bee hives (still checked good on pressure) from an LS1 engine that had LS1 retainers, locks and locators. These parts could not be used so he bought some Comp 795-16 retainers from me ($50) and I threw in the 611-16 locks ($32) and 4705-16 locators ($40). I was just explaning why "his" parts are not on the heads.

I didn't realize you had to use new locks and locators. You didn't mention that when I talked with you on the phone. I will send you money for the locks and locators to cover the cost.

Honestly, the decks look fine but it is hard to tell from a pic with that glare so I told him to take them to a local shop and get them, surfaced again if he sees problems there AND I WILL REIMBURSE HIM. They look fine to me but again, the head is not in front of me. Just wanted to be clear that he would not be out of pocket any $$$ as his email might lead someone to believe.

Yes, thanks for covering me on the milling. I will call today or tomorrow to get a quote from the local machine shops.

I was not sure if his complaint was about the surface of the deck area or the casting marks in the chambers on end cylinders but it looks like the chambers were what he was concerned with. Like mentioned by several people and anyone that has seen bare AFR heads . . . . AFR does that to the end cylinders and I am not gonna mess up the inner 4 cylinders to make them match and I can't reallt shape material that isn't there on the outer cylinders.

I'm sorry, that was my MISTAKE. I was able to find my pictures I took of the bare castings before I sent the heads out to you. The spark plugs holes on the outer chambers were that way when I got them from AFR. Again my apoligies

Anyone that has been around heavily ported SB Chevy heads with perimeter bolt valve covers has seen the ports into the valve cover bolts . . . it just happens.

I would have installed a 1/4 allen screw in the bolt hole with sealant but di not know if the customer was using center bolt or "old school" perimeter bolt valve covers. This seems like a small hurdle for a P1SC build up.

I'm not making any excuses, but you've had the heads since end of November. I know they were bare and you put a lot of time and effort to port them which I GREATLY appreciate it, but you could of at least e-mailed me to find out which style valve cover to use so you could of sealed it up for me. A little heads up would have been great too, so I wouldn't have freaked out about the pin hole. I'm not much of a mechanic, but when you see a hole in the intake runner that leads up to the valve cover you tend to question it or ask for some feed back.

here is the email response I sent him yesterday morning . . .

I'm not here to bash you in any way or form, I just wanted to get some advice/opinions from different people.

Thanks again for everybodys response.

Jody J.
Old 01-18-2007, 06:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JodyJ

I'm not making any excuses, but you've had the heads since end of November. I know they were bare and you put a lot of time and effort to port them which I GREATLY appreciate it, but you could of at least e-mailed me to find out which style valve cover to use so you could of sealed it up for me. A little heads up would have been great too, so I wouldn't have freaked out about the pin hole. I'm not much of a mechanic, but when you see a hole in the intake runner that leads up to the valve cover you tend to question it or ask for some feed back.
Jody,

FYI If you were concerned you should have e-mailed or called Lloyd and waited for a response before you posted something up then.... it looks bad to other people who aren't as experienced when someone jumps up and freaks out about a minor problem that is nothing at all in the end. You can see this from the first responses in this thread. This turns out great for everyone here, guys get to see how well Lloyd takes care of them but at the same time you should have just waited to see what he had to say.

Then we don't have to see assinine comments by Ai leg humpers like this

Now I don't have to wonder who ported the heads
When the webpage you go to in the first post has a label along the top of the window that says Lloyd Elliot Heads.... it was kinda obvious WHO ported them. I can tell by the details as well, that finish on the ports looks a lot better than other shops hand work i've seen lately from NC. ;-) Details, details, details.... dig deep enough and you will run into ****.

Anyways... back to Jody,

Read thru this thread.... the guys who do this all the time MachinestOne, Me and Lloyd have all told you what you had there was fine, don't need to mill them just run them. I'd take that as a good word.

FWIW, the locators and retainers... take it from me Lloyd had to do all of that to get your parts to work. The LS1 stuff doesn't even come close to fitting on a 11/32 valve like he said. I'm sure he can include a few 1/4-20 sets screws for you when he ships the retainers back.

Bret

Last edited by SStrokerAce; 01-18-2007 at 06:57 PM.
Old 01-18-2007, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by SStrokerAce
Jody,

FYI If you were concerned you should have e-mailed or called Lloyd and waited for a response before you posted something up then.... it looks bad to other people who aren't as experienced when someone jumps up and freaks out about a minor problem that is nothing at all in the end. You can see this from the first responses in this thread. This turns out great for everyone here, guys get to see how well Lloyd takes care of them but at the same time you should have just waited to see what he had to say.

When the webpage you go to in the first post has a label along the top of the window that says Lloyd Elliot Heads.... it was kinda obvious WHO ported them. I can tell by the details as well, that finish on the ports looks a lot better than other shops hand work i've seen lately from NC. ;-) Details, details, details.... dig deep enough and you will run into ****.
Silly Bret, you are the king of Red Herrings. Good attempt at spouting unverifiable information about other companies to get some wrongly percieved pressure off your back. This had nothing to do with you or any other companies. It had to do with someone's questions and concerns about his ported heads.

Instead of chastizing people for posting when they are concerned about something, maybe you should try staying tech oriented and answer the questions at hand?

Unfortunately nothing from your "wealth of knowledge" could have added to what was already posted by numerous people before you...leghumpers or not.

PS: Anyone that has seen other ported heads could tell who ported these heads.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:57 PM
Banned

Boy I wish I had some pictures of that now..... either way I somehow knew you would have to add your two cents in.

Last edited by SStrokerAce; 01-18-2007 at 10:59 PM.
Old 01-18-2007, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by SStrokerAce
Jody,

Bret,
As a matter of fact I did e-mail Lloyd about my concerns, BUT I also wanted to get some feed back from other people on this message board since I thought that's what this message board is for. If you look at my first post it states: "At this time I will NOT say who did the porting until I have heard back." No where in my post i said it was Lloyd Elliot

If you are going to quote me at least quote me correctly. The title at the top said "AFR's ported by Lloyd" After posting the website a friend pmed me to let me know it said that, so I have changed it to "AFR 210cc" so at the time nobody knew who ported it. I don't know about you, but I know a couple people with that name.

Anyways... back to Jody,

Read thru this thread.... the guys who do this all the time MachinestOne, Me and Lloyd have all told you what you had there was fine, don't need to mill them just run them. I'd take that as a good word.

FWIW, the locators and retainers... take it from me Lloyd had to do all of that to get your parts to work. The LS1 stuff doesn't even come close to fitting on a 11/32 valve like he said. I'm sure he can include a few 1/4-20 sets screws for you when he ships the retainers back.

I know that now, when Lloyd called me he told me he couldn't use the titanium retainers because it was for the LS1. He told be the correct part number and I was going to order them and have them shipped to him, but he said he had a spare set and just to send him the $50 for it which I did. He did not mention anything about the locks or seats until he posted here. If he told me about the other parts to make it work (I'm not a mind reader), I would have included that amount when I sent him the $50. I will be sending him the money for those parts to reimburse him.

Bret
Jody J.
Old 01-19-2007, 09:57 AM

Lets cool it down in here. This crap is ridiculous. JodyJ had a question and was concerned... it was answered by many people. End of story.

Install the $hit and lets see some #'s!

Quick Reply: Ported AFR 210's just got back, need feed back