LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Ported Throttle Body

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 04:17 PM

Ported Throttle Body

Who sells ported throttle bodys?

58 mm BBK. Does anyone sell them or do they just port them for you?
Old 12-31-2006, 04:26 PM

BBK is a namebrand, just like Holley and AS&M, so they will sell you a brand new 52mm or 58mm throttle body right out of the box, they will not port your existing throttle body. As for a ported stock throttle body, I have heard of people getting them off of ebay.
Old 12-31-2006, 05:22 PM

I need to upsize to a 58 mm TB.

I was hoping to buy one from someone who ports them and then re-sells them. I currently have a 52mm BBK, so I thought I would stick with that brand.

Anyway, I guess I will buy a new one and try to find someone who ports them.

Who is the best to have this done?

How much does it cost and what are the gains in airflow?
Old 12-31-2006, 05:30 PM

why dont you check the for sale section here? i know i have seen a couple of 58mm on there over the last week or so
Old 12-31-2006, 05:38 PM

edelbrock sells a cheap 58mm TB, can be found at fbodymotorsports.com i believe
summit also sells a cheap one too found at summitracing.com
Old 12-31-2006, 05:55 PM

I would prowl around the classifieds on here, you could probably pick up a used 58mm BBK for under 200 bucks, maybe even a 150. Not too bad considering that is what a porting service would cost.
Old 12-31-2006, 07:08 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by elisowski
I need to upsize to a 58 mm TB.

I was hoping to buy one from someone who ports them and then re-sells them. I currently have a 52mm BBK, so I thought I would stick with that brand.

Anyway, I guess I will buy a new one and try to find someone who ports them.

Who is the best to have this done?

How much does it cost and what are the gains in airflow?
You might want to explain what you mean. You are going to buy a new TB, and then have it ported to 58mm??? Why would you not just buy a 58mm throttle body? BBK, Accel/LPE, AS&M, Holley, probably some cheap Chinese rip-offs..... all available in 58mm right out of the box.

Since you primary mod appears to be the 175-shot of nitrous, its not likely that the 52mm BBK is even holding you back.
Old 01-01-2007, 03:17 PM

I've just upgraded to a 355 and am having Lloyd Elliot prepare my LT4 heads to use the LE3 cam.

I need to upgrade to a 58 mm TB. I see guys list in their mods that they have ported TBs.

Just wanted to know more about them like who ports them, how much does it cost, and what are the performance gains in airflow?

Can't seem to find anything when I did a search.
Old 01-01-2007, 03:49 PM

Sell your 52mm throttle body and buy a 58mm, its not that hard of a concept to grasp...
Old 01-01-2007, 08:20 PM

Let's start over:

You can port/polish heads, intake manifolds and carbs to increase airflow. Easy concept to grasp.

You can buy carbs in different stages of porting/polishing which incrementally increase the airflow.

Fluid dynamics dictates that the amount of air to pass through an orifice is NOT just related to the size of the orifice (increasing from 52 to 58 mm). There are many factors related including direction of incoming air, directing the air over the blades, inlet coefficients, roughness coefficients, etc., etc.

So, I'll rephrase my question:

With a 58 mm out-of-the-box throttle body (BBK, Holley, etc), what work can be done to it to increase the air-flow?

If the airflow can be increased, does anybody know of someone who does the work?

It seems strange to me that all we can do is use out-of-the-box TBs.
Old 01-01-2007, 08:43 PM

Let's start over:

With a 58 mm out-of-the-box throttle body (BBK, Holley, etc), what work can be done to it to increase the air-flow?

If the airflow can be increased, does anybody know of someone who does the work?

None that I know of or have ever heard of... for what your running you arnt going to need anything more than a 58mm tb... if you look there are guys running sub 10 second cars with stock out of the box tb's. A 58mm tb is going to flow all you need.
Old 01-01-2007, 08:49 PM

it's likely you will see zero gain going from a 52mm tb to a 58mm tb. there are many guys including myself that have ran in the 11's N/A with a stock tb.
Old 01-01-2007, 09:13 PM

Toby and Seven Stars:

Thanks for the answers.

Sorry for the confusion on the "porting" part of the post.
Old 01-01-2007, 09:48 PM
Administrator

If you need more flow than a dual 58mm throttle body can flow efficiently, go to an AS&M Monoblade.

Have you ever looked at the details of one of the 58mm TB's? They include the equivalent of an "airfoil", and the ports are generally highly polished, and have a nice, uniform taper..... all of which help improve flow.

Stock TB:

Holley 58mm:

Old 01-01-2007, 10:04 PM

Let's start over:

You can port/polish heads, intake manifolds and carbs to increase airflow. Easy concept to grasp.

You can buy carbs in different stages of porting/polishing which incrementally increase the airflow.

Fluid dynamics dictates that the amount of air to pass through an orifice is NOT just related to the size of the orifice (increasing from 52 to 58 mm). There are many factors related including direction of incoming air, directing the air over the blades, inlet coefficients, roughness coefficients, etc., etc.

So, I'll rephrase my question:

People just run out of the box TB's because they flow more than what 99% of the people on here need. AS&M advertises their 58mm as flowing 1050 CFM, the intake manifold would become a restriction before the TB. And if the throttle body won't flow enough, all you do is buy a bigger one (ie monoblade) instead of buying a smaller one and spending $$ on porting.

Originally Posted by SevenStars
None that I know of or have ever heard of... for what your running you arnt going to need anything more than a 58mm tb... if you look there are guys running sub 10 second cars with stock out of the box tb's. A 58mm tb is going to flow all you need.
Just because someone runs xxx doesn't mean the throttle body isn't a restriction. There are stock headed LS1's runnin bottom 10's but that doesn't mean their heads aren't holding them back at all.