LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Possible Future 383 set-up Need Opinions!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2004, 11:43 PM

Possible Future 383 or 400 set-up Need Opinions!

I havnt really decided on what I want to do yet, but I figure I may as well start planning now. I figure on doing a 383 stroker with minor head work and possibly Bretts LTx intake depending on how it turns out . I would like to get to around 450 rwhp or so N/A and then add a 200 shot on top of that. I was thinking of going to a solid roller but I think ill leave that to another project. I just want to build as very strong and reliable engine as possible(lol dont we all) to hold up for awhile on spray. I figure that its gonna come down to the heads and that will be dependent on money so ill be getting the best that I can afford. As far as internals Im hopeing that you guys can chime in with your opinions and anything else that you guys think I should know.

Thanks everybody,
-john

Last edited by Camaro_Guru16NY; 06-11-2004 at 11:36 PM.
Old 06-11-2004, 12:59 AM

If you have not done so already, you might want to spend a few hours and search this subject...it's been covered pretty well.

450rwhp N/A starts to get into the expensive catagory, and I'd recommend enlisting the services of a professional and reputable builder to discuss every aspect of your project. First and foremost, you need to be honest with yourself about your expectations for the finished product, your budget and what types of compromises you will be prepared to deal with.

I am in the finishing stages of a very similar 383 build-up and ironically, started with the same goals you mentioned.
Old 06-11-2004, 01:08 AM

Believe me ive spent many hours tooling this through my head . I realize those goals would be great if they happen but if not, oh well. For the most part ill be contacting Brett Baur since were good friends with him and I trust his knowledge 110% .

What sort of setup did you end up finishing with and how expensive was if you want to tell?

Thanks,
-john
Old 06-11-2004, 03:02 AM

SS MPSTR gave you good advice. Decide on a budget and what is most important to you. With a 200hp nitrous shot on top of a 450hp motor you are getting into the area where a lot of thought needs to be given to the fuel system. Don't forget to budget for this as well as the drivetrain parts you will need to back up the hp. If you have an auto, you will be headed for trouble. An M6 will need a good clutch. If you use sticky tires you will need a rear end. And so it goes. You can take your engine budget and multiply it by 2-2.5 when you get to this level to approximate your total cost.

There are a number of good rotating assemblies in the "moderate" price range. They all need to be carefully inspected, fitted, and assembled to work right. That's more important than the exact brand of components and it's where an expert like Bret is invaluable. Even though I have a political problem with Chinese stuff, an Eagle crank and rods with an SRP or Ross piston make a good low-mid price combo. A step up is a Callies crank, Lunati "Pro-Mod" rods, and JE pistons. You sure won't need more than that for your goals. But again, the easiest part of all this will be picking out a rotating assy. Heads, cam, tune, assembly/machining, supporting components. etc. are all going to be the big contributors to your enjoyment of the finished product.

There are three areas where most people end up disappointed. It costs more than they thought, it takes longer than they thought, and it will not end up being something you can "drive and forget" like a stock or mildly modded car. You are talking about taking a decent car built to a budget to sell for ~$20,000 and giving it more hp than a six-figure exotic car. If you know anyone with an exotic car, even though it comes from a huge factory with a team of engineers, they will tell you that these things are not "plug-n-play". Your project will be even less so. There will be down time and glitches. The days when it is running perfectly will be relatively few. Think carefully before going down this road, many people are disappointed. That's why it's easy to buy a modded car for pennies on the dollar.

Rich Krause
Old 06-11-2004, 03:22 AM

Hey Rich,

I got a few hundred pennies saved up. You interested?

Camaro_Guru,

Minor head work isn't going to cut it if you're really expecting 450RWHP from a NA motor. The stock heads are going to have to be opened up something fierce to flow enough for that kinda grunt. A set of aftermarket heads with about a grand in additional porting would probably be a better way to go if you've got the $$.

Oh, and why not build it for 400 RWHP instead? That's been done countless times. Then just spray a 250 shot on it. Pretty much the same results in the end.
Old 06-11-2004, 08:10 AM

Originally posted by 97WS6SCharged
Hey Rich,

I got a few hundred pennies saved up. You interested?

Camaro_Guru,

Minor head work isn't going to cut it if you're really expecting 450RWHP from a NA motor. The stock heads are going to have to be opened up something fierce to flow enough for that kinda grunt. A set of aftermarket heads with about a grand in additional porting would probably be a better way to go if you've got the $$.

Oh, and why not build it for 400 RWHP instead? That's been done countless times. Then just spray a 250 shot on it. Pretty much the same results in the end.
Good advice about the nitrous!

As far as cents on the dollar goes, I am NOT one of those disappointed people as I knew exactly what I was getting myself into

Rich
Old 06-11-2004, 10:32 AM

Hey John, I have an idea for you. Why don't you buy my motor??? I 'll back it off for street use and put in a tamer camshaft?? I am selling it this winter. I am finished with my LT1. Time for BBC race engine. EZ street baby!! Thats my future. If your interested let me know and I can give you a parts list and start working something out. BTW 450rwhp straight motor on pump gas shouldn't be a stretch for that engine. 416 931 3203

Vince

P.S. of course it would freshened and dyno'd included
Old 06-11-2004, 11:47 AM

IMO, don't stroke your engine, and spend that money on a nice heads/cam package.
Old 06-11-2004, 03:58 PM

Originally posted by Camaro_Guru16NY
What sort of setup did you end up finishing with and how expensive was if you want to tell?
Scat 4340 forged crank, forged h-beam rods, forged JE pistons, Advanced Induction full port LT4's (291 cfm @ 0.600") with a (large) cam spec'd by Phil, ss 1.6/1.7 rockers, 977 springs, ti retainers, ASP balancer, FLP LT headers, electric WP, LT4 intake, 42# injectors, Mcleod ST clutch, Strange 12-bolt 3.73's, Mike Morgan tuning, and all the other bolt-ons I've collected over the years. When all is tallied and done, I will have ~$6k into the car for this round of mods.

When I do put on a nitrous kit, I will go with the TNT wet kit.
Old 06-11-2004, 05:58 PM

Lots of good advice here, save money, be patient, and then save some more money.
Old 06-11-2004, 08:33 PM

Originally posted by rskrause
Good advice about the nitrous!

As far as cents on the dollar goes, I am NOT one of those disappointed people as I knew exactly what I was getting myself into

Rich
Thanks, I've been reading up on my N2O lately since I'm putting it in the truck eventually.

And it was worth a try.
Old 06-11-2004, 11:01 PM

Guys thanks for all of the info. Its helping alot, believe me. As far as what im gonna do I dunno, nothings set in stone yet. Im just working to get as many ideas as possible for when i do have the money.

Vince send me a spec sheet for what its worth.. Il see how things go.

Thanks guys,
-john
Old 06-11-2004, 11:17 PM

For the most part I am aware of what I plan on getting myself into with this in the future , but I figure that thats have the fun too, sorta .

Rich- Im looking to have the budget for the second set up that you mentioned callies, lunati rods and JE pistons, maybe oliver . I figure its worth the extra money to do it right the first time. what do you figure a average price range for this particular rotating assembly would possibly end up being. Granted the Heads and cam will make the difference, Im hopeing to be able to get some AFRs(hopefully).

Vince I know ill be coming to you for the dyno tune etc.

Thanks,
-john
Old 06-11-2004, 11:19 PM

Sweet, lookin to build yourself a motor huh. Well John save up like you've never saved before, go with an oliver crank, oliver connecting rods, and those Mahle pistons with compensated ring grooves. mmmmm boy id like to get my hands on an assembly like that. You gotta come to work sometime down at craigs so i can show you one of those pistons. see-ya man,
-Paul
Old 06-11-2004, 11:28 PM
96z

Talking to Bret would be a wise choice. Im more than happy with everything he has done with my stuff. Im even more excited about the stuff to come!

Quick Reply: Possible Future 383 set-up Need Opinions!