LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Possible to wire a switch to kill the power windows?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2003, 11:45 AM
96z

Possible to wire a switch to kill the power windows?

Unfortunately it looks like Im going to have the cops on my *** again this year, and with my tint being illegal I was wondering if someone could figure out or new how I could make the power windows unfuntional with the flip of a switch.

For example if I get pulled over I would roll the windows all the way down and flip the switch so no matter what I tried they wouldnt go up....that way I cant get a ticket if they cant see the window.

Anyone know how or have an idea of how?
Old 06-29-2003, 11:54 AM
Banned

ya you could do that. just wire a switch into one of the wire on the passenger switch. i dont have my chiltons with me, but i dont think it matters what wire you switch as they are all needed for proper operation. there is a 12v and a ground. and then 2 that reverse polarity depending on switch position.
Old 06-29-2003, 01:42 PM
96z

Ok, so which would I have to kill? Just the 12V? Could I tap into just one wire or would I have to do both sides seperately?
Old 06-29-2003, 01:58 PM

what if they see your windows up when you are doing something wrong and when you get pulled over and try to give them that line of BS they are going to stick it to you even worse.
Old 06-29-2003, 02:13 PM

Smile

PDM: Easy! Find the power wire, put a switch in there, and voila. Same thing for the pass side .

Ryan
Old 06-29-2003, 02:15 PM

Originally posted by funina91ss
what if they see your windows up when you are doing something wrong and when you get pulled over and try to give them that line of BS they are going to stick it to you even worse.
Doesn't sound like that good of a plan. Probably not worth the trouble.
Old 06-29-2003, 03:18 PM

Actually it does sounds like a very good plan... I know that would have saved me twice and I think I will be doing that as well. Even if you are cruising with the windows down, if your rear windshield is tinted the cop will usually ask you to roll em up. "I don't know whats going on officer but my windows don't seem to working." Sorry piggy.
Old 06-29-2003, 03:27 PM

I've got an idea

how about tinting your windows with a legal tint. Then you don't have this problem.
Old 06-29-2003, 03:39 PM

Well I don't know how it is in FL, but in CA they show no mercy... there is no legal tint whatsoever on front windows. And I don't know if you noticed or not but Fbodys only have 2 windows. And these bull**** tint tickets are not cheap either and they go up for second and third offenses etc... Even take the front license plate, first offense 10 bucks plus proof. Second offense, 150 bucks non fix it. Why? Because somebody needs to get suckered for money and it ain't gonna be them. **** if there's anyway I can start doing some of the suckering then it's going to happen that way. Seriously, there's nothing worse than when you know you are a good, safe, responsible driver and you get a ticket for window tint and you have done absolutely nothing wrong. And especially in my area cops like to hate on you, I have seen cops go on major power trips. Anyway, the switch stays =)
Old 06-29-2003, 03:47 PM

Originally posted by 96 WS6
Actually it does sounds like a very good plan... I know that would have saved me twice and I think I will be doing that as well. Even if you are cruising with the windows down, if your rear windshield is tinted the cop will usually ask you to roll em up. "I don't know whats going on officer but my windows don't seem to working." Sorry piggy.
Sorry, I don't see how aggravating a lawman is going to make things easier. It's just common sense. Why make a bad situation worse?
Old 06-29-2003, 06:21 PM
96z

Ofcourse the situation would involve me having the windows down in the first place. I almost never drive the car in cold/inclimate weather so the windows are almost always down anyway.

The cops dont need to just see the windows they need to measure them with a meter. No window, no ticket. If they dont go up how is that going to make the situation worse?

I asked a question regarding the best way to do this...not everyones opinion on the subject.

Thanks to all those that helped so far.

Annoyed Rant on IMHO all the cops are around here are arogant a$$holes with nothing better to do than harrass people with nice cars. Cheektowaga is adjacent to Amherst New York, (the safest city in America). With nothing better to do they choose to harrass us and this would be the one thing I can do to avoid a ticket, As far as Im concerned they can all kiss my ***.Annoyed Rant off

Last edited by 96z; 06-29-2003 at 06:25 PM.
Old 06-29-2003, 06:32 PM

I don't what kind of nice polite cops you have pulling you over shoebox, but cops here in CA take no mercy on younger drivers, actually no mercy period... It's like they already know me before they even come up to my window or something. I've been messed with by cops so many times for absolute BS and I'm tired of it. If there's any way for me to score some points I'm going to do it because I know they are always out to get me and trust me I'm not the only one. If I was a 70 year old white guy driving a cadillac a cop would not even glance twice even if I had the exact same good driving habits that I practice right now that's what makes it even worse.

I can't justify paying for wanting to protect my skin from the sun especially when I drive a lot safer than most other ppl out there. And honestly I don't care if the officer thinks I'm packing a gun behind my tints, I'm not and that's all that matters. I mean if the tint laws were just for the cop being able to see inside then why give the ticket?? It's just a whole bunch of BS and albeit there are handful of righteous cops out there that I wouldn't mind having a conversation with, most of them do not like me and I do not like them.

You have to come over to my city and see how they do you up the *** over here... especially in my city. If I go north to oakland a cop can pull up next to me at a light and I will just crack the windows so he can see I'm not doing any dirt and we will both go on our merry ways, but where I live, NO WAY!

Aggravating a law man? Well if that's the same law man that's trying to screw me then he can go to hell and I am not gonna sit back like a sucker and take an *** raping either. If I was spinning donuts on the freeway at 2 AM then I deserve a freaking ticket, but for window tint??? Come on now, I have had two of my friends from this are threatened with arrest if they did not fix theirs (and one was on probation) and the cops don't give a rats ***. Arrested for tints!!!!!!!! Wow it's like don't you have other things to do, like drink coffee and eat donuts instead of ruining people's days? I would rather have him try to dock me for some other BS in anger than get docked for window tint, I'm off to radio shack for a switch

Okay this got a little long and it turned into a vent post, sorry for overtaking the thread
Old 06-29-2003, 06:40 PM
Banned

Put a switch inline of the wire coming off of the A terminal of the drivers side switch. Should be a black wire, thats the ground for the whole system and will disable both windows.
Old 06-29-2003, 06:44 PM
96z

Originally posted by thewinner
Put a switch inline of the wire coming off of the A terminal of the drivers side switch. Should be a black wire, thats the ground for the whole system and will disable both windows.
Thanks thewinner exactly what I needed to know.
Old 06-29-2003, 07:00 PM

Ground bad

your ground needs to be solid if you put a switch on it you will create resistance in your ground. it will cause problems you need to cut the power side NOT the ground. I can get you the colors and locations if you need them

Quick Reply: Possible to wire a switch to kill the power windows?