LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Possible to wire a switch to kill the power windows?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2003, 07:52 PM
Banned

dont listen to the above guy. no clue wtf he is talking about.

your average switch is not a big resistance. I just went out and tested a few, came up with 0.0-0.1 ohms. Looks like a big resistance problem to me.

and if you want to cut 12v to the whole assembly, you need to do it at the fuse box, which is a ****ing ***** to get to. other wise youll need 2 switches, one at each switch to cut power

Just go for the A terminal/
Old 06-29-2003, 08:25 PM

Good for you 96Z!!! I hope you get to use your switches.

I pay taxes to the city for the cops to PROTECT ME!!

When their crappy judgement becomes harassment it makes me so damn mad!!
Old 06-29-2003, 09:19 PM

I am so with 96WS6.

In my truck, I got one tint ticket in 2 years. The cop didnt pull me over for it, he got me for a minor traffic violation on Super Bowl Sunday. I admitted that I was in a 'rush' to catch the game and he said fair enough, but I wont let the tint slide. That was fine with me. $25 later Im all good.

Exactly one year later, Im in my T/A at the gas station. Come out, a cop is sitting next to my car. Great...I take off he followes. 2 blocks later he hits the sirens. Guess what, same guy. Same cop, same infraction exactly one year later. Next year, Im staying home.

That was the first one I had gotten in my T/A. Second was about a month ago, when I was pulled for speeding. A month prior when I was also pulled for speeding, the cop said "I reccomend that you have the tint taken off, its illegal; have a nice day". I was shocked. He was extremly cool. Back to the most recent, cop was a major **** on a power trip. He gave me 4 tickets. Now I have to fork over $500 to my laywer, and how ever much the fines will set me back. That really hurts. The cop that got me was in an un marked LS1 Camaro too. He preceeded to call me a **** up and swear at me a few times, then he threw my papers at me when he was done looking them over. My lawyer thinks well have a decent time in court. I sure hope so, I cant afford a huge insurance hike.

I guess Im getting way off track, but I love my tint. Here in IL anything on the front 2 windows is illegal. There are some, well actually most shops wont go under 20%. Which is what I have. Its not that dark. I think I am going to remove the tint from my front 2 windows, for this current case, as I cant really afford the tickets and the laywer. When I can afford it, I will have it redone. The shop that put it on this past time, did a **** poor job anyway. I do have a lifetime warranty, but they obviously dont know what they were doing, so Ill just pay again to have it done right. Oh well, thats my story.

Oh, as far as the original post, Ive been thinking about the same thing. I actually contemplated this on my journey to meet some club guys at Hooters today. Sounds like 'thewinner' is on the right track. Im thinking one side is all you need to do, as when the drivers side is unplugged the pass window doesnt work. Buy maybe both will need to be done. Time will tell.
Old 06-29-2003, 09:46 PM

i really feel for you guys. i dont understand those bunk a$$ rules. the tint really helps keep the heat out. i lived with those rules back in IL. now i live in florida, no tint rules really. or if there are the cops dont care. that and we dont have to have a front liscense plate. damn politics.
Old 06-29-2003, 09:58 PM
Banned

Originally posted by NineSevenWS6
Sounds like 'thewinner' is on the right track. Im thinking one side is all you need to do, as when the drivers side is unplugged the pass window doesnt work. Buy maybe both will need to be done. Time will tell.
nah, just putting a switch in the A wire will disable both windows.

put the windows down, flip the switch, and neither window works.
Old 06-30-2003, 04:08 AM

My tint is at the darkest allowed but I've found myself sometimes wishing it were a little darker. I think the law is not without merit as I assume the point of it is officer safety. I'm sure if I was a cop I would want to be able to see in the car I was approaching after a traffic stop. When I get stopped I roll both windows down, shut the motor off, turn on the interior light, leave the parking lights on, turn off the radio and leave my hands on top of the wheel in plain view. This generally makes the officer more comfortable and contributes to me avoiding a lot of 'you were going 5mph over but I was really just spot checking for drunks' tickets. Around here cops don't really seem to care about the tint thing. It's just another thing they can add on to your charges if you **** them off or they are giant di#@s. Fortunately most are more professional around here. I wish that electronically controlled window tint was available. When the car was parked you could set it to full reflective tint and modulate the tint as needed for driving conditions.

JeffA
Old 06-30-2003, 05:35 AM

Wow...the point was gotten to a long time ago. Must this post go on? It's a catchy idea. But like shoebox says....you're just gonna **** him off more. Let me put it this way. I was speeding recently on a trip home from Arlington, VA to Fort Lauderdale, FL. I was doing over 100 mph with expired tags. I was extremely polite to the cop. Who decided to lecture me and let me go. With a mere $171 ticket. This was in Florida where it is a misdemeanor to have expired tags. Its all about the way you approach the situation. And starting off shady is not going to get you anywhere. I'm no fan of cops. But sometimes you have to bite the bullet and kiss a little ***. Good Luck with the power window kill mod. I hope it works out for the best! :blah:
Old 06-30-2003, 08:41 AM

Originally posted by av8er
My tint is at the darkest allowed but I've found myself sometimes wishing it were a little darker. I think the law is not without merit as I assume the point of it is officer safety. I'm sure if I was a cop I would want to be able to see in the car I was approaching after a traffic stop. When I get stopped I roll both windows down, shut the motor off, turn on the interior light, leave the parking lights on, turn off the radio and leave my hands on top of the wheel in plain view. This generally makes the officer more comfortable and contributes to me avoiding a lot of 'you were going 5mph over but I was really just spot checking for drunks' tickets. Around here cops don't really seem to care about the tint thing. It's just another thing they can add on to your charges if you **** them off or they are giant di#@s. Fortunately most are more professional around here. I wish that electronically controlled window tint was available. When the car was parked you could set it to full reflective tint and modulate the tint as needed for driving conditions.

JeffA
You sound like you get stopped a lot.

I got a loud pipes ticket on a motorcycle once when I was young. The only reason I got a ticket is because I was not smart or polite to the cop and opened my big mouth. Lesson learned.

I know cops are not the same everywhere, but if there is a law and you break it, just pay up.

Yeah, this has kinda turned into a lounge thread.
Old 06-30-2003, 09:41 AM
Super Moderator

Originally posted by shoebox

Yeah, this has kinda turned into a lounge thread.

Yes, it sure has. However, I'll keep it here so long as the lounge material doesn't continue.

I'd ask "What are you going to do if it is raining?" but that is more Lounge material than answering the actual question so I won't
Old 06-30-2003, 09:47 AM

Originally posted by Brent94Z
Yes, it sure has. However, I'll keep it here so long as the lounge material doesn't continue.

I'd ask "What are you going to do if it is raining?" but that is more Lounge material than answering the actual question so I won't
You kinda did ask, indirectly . I bet he'll answer, we'll see....