LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Power seat

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2004, 03:15 PM

Power seat

Is it possible for the power seat mechanism to activate on it's own and without the key inserted?
I stored my car for a day in an inside, locked storage, in which no one has a key (even the office would have to drill out the lock if the key is lost). The next day when I went to pick up my car the seat was all the way back (too far for me to even touch the gas pedal) and now the power seat does not go forward and backward. It moves in all other directions though.
In addition there was some fluid on the storage floor from my other vehicle and it would seem unlikely that someone would have entered the car without causing a footprint. This is really strange. So, has the power seat been known to activate on it's own? Thanks for any help. Also, if you have ideas about how to fix it, that'd be great.
Thanks,
Purplez
Old 04-07-2004, 04:42 PM

If the switch is bad, it can do things on it's own. The power seat is on a circuit breaker, so if the seat motor continues to operate, the breaker will throw and then reconnect on it's own after it cools. The cycle will start again if the problem is not corrected.

You didn't see the thread where the guy was driving along and his seat would scoot all the way up on him?
Old 04-07-2004, 06:14 PM

Thanks Shoebox,

No, I missed that one, but I can picture it! Guy must have been surprised out of his wits. It would be interesting if an air bag and the seat went inoperative at the same time wouldn't it????
Thanks for the input. I appreciate it. I'm going to go out now and check it.
Old 04-07-2004, 06:27 PM

I just went out and checked and the seat is still not operational. Is there something I can do to attempt to fix it? It's not starting and stopping, it's just dead. However, it does move up and down...just not forward and backward.