LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

power steering delete?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2004, 09:37 AM

power steering delete?

Is there anything special that needs to be done to delete p/s or can I just pull off the pump and get a shorter belt? It looks like everything would clear the belt, but I figured someone on here would know for sure.
Old 02-04-2004, 11:14 AM

If you have a 3rd gen camaro, you might want to post in 3rd gen tech.

BRW, why not just underdrive pulleys
Old 02-06-2004, 02:25 PM

i would post in 3rd gen tech if the question was about a 85 305HO, but the question is about a 95 LT1

underdrive pulleys would be cool if i had to keep the pump, but i run a manual steering box and have absolutely no need for the p/s pump. i want to delete it for the minimal weight savings and appearance more than anything else, because i'm sure there's little to no drag caused by it since it's not connected or filled.

Last edited by ontogenesis; 02-06-2004 at 02:29 PM.
Old 02-06-2004, 02:31 PM

Originally posted by ontogenesis
i would post in 3rd gen tech, but 3rd gens never came with lt1's, hence lt1 tech.

Kinda confusing seeing that your sig says "85 Camaro". You are right, they did not come with LT1's. Does your car have a transplant or are you just asking for some other reason?

I was reading somewhere else that said the power R&P would not survive for long without the pump, but I don't know that to be true. Seems like it's gonna be hard to steer, though.

[edit] I see you went back and edited your post as I was typing.
Old 02-07-2004, 07:18 PM

sorry about the editing, i wanted to make sure everything was clear.

the 95 lt1 has been swapped into the 85 camaro, new wiring by speartech, all other work done by myself. i'm not sure about the long term durability of the power R&P, but i did mention earlier that i'm currently running a manual R&P from an 88 s-10. It's easy to steer, just requires more turning of steering wheel. The pump is sitting there for no apparent reason now, taking up weight (it does see most of it's time at the track).