LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

power steering problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2003, 02:25 PM

power steering problem

i was the steering felt fine, when i went to drive again like 5 min later when i first left i had no power steering, before i could get out of the parking lot it was back to normal, drove fine all the way home, i shut it off and turned it back on and the steering was back to crap. i check the fluid and it is a little low. i didnt drive all day then this morning i started the car and drove it around the block a couple times and the steering is fine now. i never added any fluid or anything. could it be the pump? how much do they cost and are they hard to put in? can i get some directions or something. thanks for the help
Old 06-15-2003, 09:02 PM

Cool

If the steering just locks up for a little bit ,then goes back to normal,then it's the rack itself.Get a rebuilt one ,besure it has a one year parts and labor warranty,as my rebuilt went out 8 months later with leaking fluid and everything.(Look under the car for wet rack).Mine used to lock up on cold mornings.Hope this helps.
Old 06-15-2003, 11:40 PM

one of my Z's did that once at mcdonalds! the PS just totally stopped working so i parked it, pulled the cap off the reservoir and it was like pressurized when i unscrewed it. after i relieved the pressure i started it back up and everything was fine forever after that. no leaky rack or anything. i know on both my cars the lid seems to leak on the PS reservoir but yet it is never low, it almost looks like it's too full if anything. i'm not sure what the deal is.
Old 06-16-2003, 10:20 AM

Originally posted by Fatdog
Get a rebuilt one ,besure it has a one year parts and labor warranty,as my rebuilt went out 8 months later with leaking fluid and everything.(Look under the car for wet rack).Mine used to lock up on cold mornings.Hope this helps.
I had three remanufactured racks from NAPA and all three were leaking before they were even 6mo old.

IMO get a used, low milage one out of a junkyard (what I did) or get a reman one from GM. Don't bother with part store crap.