LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Pre-Deployment final resoulution thread!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 11:39 PM

Pre-Deployment final resoulution thread!!!

****first off i know alot of the senior guys are annoyed with me because of my lack of using the search bar but im really short on time so please put yourself in my position.....please no rude comments or be-lit-tiling comments.. im preparing for a *deployment* to Afghanistan and Ive been very very stressed and scatterbrained and nervous lately and i really just wanna be done with my car so i can take a slight load off my back and not be as stressed****

ok so i pulled my motor to fix an oil pan leak and decided to do a refresh even though it ran fine when i pulled it. the engine is a bone stock 1994 lt1 with bbk shorty headers and a k&n cai...its got 103k miles on it exactly..it never ran weird or nothing but im **** and have a stressful job and its my only stress reliever so i want to make sure i dont have to worry about anything failing for a while.... i have been making threads here and there so i decided to make one final thread to answer all my ?'s since Ive fried my brain trying to figure it all out.

*note* when i removed the old bearings they were not that bad looking but im replacing them just for piece of mind...

here the list of parts Ive gathered (im sure a forgot a thing or two but ill post if i remember)

-new oil sending unit
-new melling 10554
-all new felpro gaskets
-new cc 305 plus accompanying valve springs and lifters
-new arp head bolts
-new sealed power piston rings
-new federal mogul bearings_ including rod crank and cam
-new water-pump
-new msd opti
-new msd coil
-new poly motor mounts
-new cc push-rods
-New Taylor 8.2mm thunder volt wires
-new ngk iridium plugs
- new freeze plugs
-and soon to come new roller rockers

Other than a timing set is there anything you guys can think of that i should replace before i put my block back together Ive blown most of my money since im not going to need any for a while (Afghanistan) so im kinda on a short budget now.
Also besides wire wheeling my block and repainting it, is there anything you guys think i should do before reassembling my engine and installing it back into my car? like what should i measure,hone,polish port,that kinda stuff... I plan on having my heads cleaned and resurfaced soon.
And also what is that steel tube that runs from the front of the motor to the back of both cylinder heads? its got too bushings on it and im wondering if they need to be replaced. im frying my brain trying to think of any other parts!
Please feel free to post anything that comes to mind because i have an upcoming deployment and i want to be stress free when i leave and not having to worry about my car being in a million pieces and be able to focus on my job ( a USMC grunt).. if i remember any parts i forgot to mention ill be sure to add them to the list asap.. please everyone 2 cents are GREATLY appreciated.

Last edited by z28beast; 04-19-2010 at 11:41 PM.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by z28beast
****first off i know alot of the senior guys are annoyed with me because of my lack of using the search bar but im really short on time so please put yourself in my position.....please no rude comments or be-lit-tiling comments.. im preparing for a *deployment* to Afghanistan and Ive been very very stressed and scatterbrained and nervous lately and i really just wanna be done with my car so i can take a slight load off my back and not be as stressed****

ok so i pulled my motor to fix an oil pan leak and decided to do a refresh even though it ran fine when i pulled it. the engine is a bone stock 1994 lt1 with bbk shorty headers and a k&n cai...its got 103k miles on it exactly..it never ran weird or nothing but im **** and have a stressful job and its my only stress reliever so i want to make sure i dont have to worry about anything failing for a while.... i have been making threads here and there so i decided to make one final thread to answer all my ?'s since Ive fried my brain trying to figure it all out.

*note* when i removed the old bearings they were not that bad looking but im replacing them just for piece of mind...

here the list of parts Ive gathered (im sure a forgot a thing or two but ill post if i remember)

-new oil sending unit
-new melling 10554
-all new felpro gaskets
-new cc 305 plus accompanying valve springs and lifters
-new arp head bolts
-new sealed power piston rings
-new federal mogul bearings_ including rod crank and cam
-new water-pump
-new msd opti
-new msd coil
-new poly motor mounts
-new cc push-rods
-New Taylor 8.2mm thunder volt wires
-new ngk iridium plugs
- new freeze plugs
-and soon to come new roller rockers

Other than a timing set is there anything you guys can think of that i should replace before i put my block back together Ive blown most of my money since im not going to need any for a while (Afghanistan) so im kinda on a short budget now.
Also besides wire wheeling my block and repainting it, is there anything you guys think i should do before reassembling my engine and installing it back into my car? like what should i measure,hone,polish port,that kinda stuff... I plan on having my heads cleaned and resurfaced soon.
And also what is that steel tube that runs from the front of the motor to the back of both cylinder heads? its got too bushings on it and im wondering if they need to be replaced. im frying my brain trying to think of any other parts!
Please feel free to post anything that comes to mind because i have an upcoming deployment and i want to be stress free when i leave and not having to worry about my car being in a million pieces and be able to focus on my job ( a USMC grunt).. if i remember any parts i forgot to mention ill be sure to add them to the list asap.. please everyone 2 cents are GREATLY appreciated.

Don't forget to include $$ for a tune (mail order or dynotune). BTW, thank you for service and dedication to our country!
Old 04-20-2010, 05:19 PM

You should at least hone the cylinders to get the glaze off.
Old 04-20-2010, 05:55 PM

I would stick with a genuine GM opti.

Depending on your rocker type, you may or may not need guide plates.....which could also change the type pushrods you need(hardened or non-hardened).
Old 04-20-2010, 07:03 PM

that steel tube is the steem pipe essential for the reverse flow cooling (i think) i would replace the "bushings" i think they are gaskets, and you can get them from the dealer or maybe from gmpartsdirect
Old 04-20-2010, 07:35 PM

i would use a wire other than taylor. i have not had good luck with them and i know a few others with similar issues. just buy a msd kit and the made4you looms to make your own OVC (over valve cover kit)

also i would recommend using a stock opti with just a msd cap and rotor. just to help save some money. the msd unit is nice, but you are not building a race car.

oil pump with white spring?
if you do this make sure to port it yourself with a dremel, instructions are easy to find

clutch kit?

and like stated before, your choice of rockers could add a few parts
Old 04-20-2010, 07:38 PM

ok and just to clarify all these parts have been purchased already....and also when i hone the cylinders can i use the 3 stone honer? my mechanic said he has one that he uses on all his builds and i have no money to go buy one
Old 04-20-2010, 07:39 PM

Read this if and before you decide to hone to (get the glaze off).(http://www.angelfire.com/biz/snwvlly/bikes/dnthone.htm
Old 04-20-2010, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by RUDEDOG
Read this if and before you decide to hone to (get the glaze off).(http://www.angelfire.com/biz/snwvlly/bikes/dnthone.htm
are you saying that i dont need to hone my cylinders?
Old 04-20-2010, 08:06 PM

if there are no major scratches i would use a ball hone, there are relatively cheap and i am sure you can borrow one from someone

you just want to get a crosshatch pattern going on
Old 04-20-2010, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by dangalla
if there are no major scratches i would use a ball hone, there are relatively cheap and i am sure you can borrow one from someone

you just want to get a crosshatch pattern going on
ok does anyone have a ball hone i can borrow?? the cylinders are not bad at all
Old 04-20-2010, 08:19 PM

call your local autozone or advanced auto and see if they have one for rental

i am not sure but they might, also do you know anyone that is a mechanic, they would most likely have one laying around
Old 04-20-2010, 08:46 PM

call your local autozone or advanced auto and see if they have one for rental

i am not sure but they might, also do you know anyone that is a mechanic, they would most likely have one laying around
yeah my mechanic has a 3 stone honer but i dont know if its good to use it or not
Old 04-20-2010, 09:05 PM

it could either be a fixed hone, which i would not recommend, they can easily get way out of hand

or it could be a flex hone, those are easier to use but are still designed to take off more material than a ball hone, i would really look around and get your hands on a ball hone

have you made a decision on what rockers you are going to go with so that we can make some recommendations on the rest of the build. also some information on what you plan to do with the car would help. from what i have read so far i assume you just plan to have a cruiser but something that will still pin your *** in the seat, not looking for an all out race car or even a more radical street car.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:08 PM

it could either be a fixed hone, which i would not recommend, they can easily get way out of hand

or it could be a flex hone, those are easier to use but are still designed to take off more material than a ball hone, i would really look around and get your hands on a ball hone

have you made a decision on what rockers you are going to go with so that we can make some recommendations on the rest of the build. also some information on what you plan to do with the car would help. from what i have read so far i assume you just plan to have a cruiser but something that will still pin your *** in the seat, not looking for an all out race car or even a more radical street car.
you nailed the pin on the head with my plans for the car...but as far a rrs i have no clue yet...im thinking about just using the stock rockers and replacing them when i get a few more $$ i was considering comp cams rrs since i have comp cams everything.

Quick Reply: Pre-Deployment final resoulution thread!!!