LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Press in EGR diaphragm, car does not stall.. but egr does hold vacuum at valve.??

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2004, 11:48 AM

Press in EGR diaphragm, car does not stall.. but egr does hold vacuum at valve.??

Ok... I hoooked up a mity vacuum in place of the vacuum hose that attaches to the top of the egr.. I applied about 7 lbs of pressure when the car is off. It held the vacuum just fine.. Which would mean that the spring that keeps the valve shut is fine.

But when i started the car... I reached behind the intake manifold, put my thumb diaphragm and pushed it back... the cars rpms didnt change... The car should have died?? SHould i have gotten both thumbs on each side to try and open the valve?

whats the deal?
Old 08-27-2004, 12:21 PM

Re: Press in EGR diaphragm, car does not stall.. but egr does hold vacuum at valve.??

Put your MityVac back on the valve and apply vacuum while the engine is idling. See if you can visually tell the valve is opening. It could be opening, but the passages may be so carboned/clogged up that it is having no effect.
Old 08-27-2004, 01:38 PM

Re: Press in EGR diaphragm, car does not stall.. but egr does hold vacuum at valve.??

Hey rob... I used 2 thumbs on each side of the diaphragm and pushed it all the way open.. it maybe dropped 100 rpms... i did it several times.

I plugged the vacuum line that connects to the EGR Valve... So the egr is always closed and there is no vacuum leak. I started the car and it idled fine... then i took it out up and down the road and it would want to die again even with the egr closed... I thought if it was stuck open it'd cause the car to want to die.. and since theres no vacuum to open it, it had to be shut. So is it possible that the EGR is not the problem at all and i should look else where... but remember i manually opened it at idle and it didnt do anything.
Old 08-27-2004, 02:10 PM

I had an EGR valve that broke inside the casing. The diaphram part would open properly, but somehow it had broken from the part that actually sealed up the hole in the intake. So even when the PCM commanded it to open, it wouldn't open.