LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

price guess

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2003, 09:07 AM

price guess

gonna call a muffler shop today and get a quote on getting my cat removed and a straight pipe put in its place.

What diameter pipe should i have put in?
How much do you think this will cost?
Old 10-06-2003, 09:09 AM

(in the voice of DR.Evil) ONE BILLION DOLLARS!!!!
anyways good luck, it is illegal to remove the cats on your car and the muffler shop will tell you the same. You have to do it yourself or prove that the cat on their is no good and still they will only put a new one in it's place.
Old 10-06-2003, 09:10 AM

well ****, would a cut out be basically the same as removing the cat?
Old 10-06-2003, 09:19 AM

Originally posted by gritter
well ****, would a cut out be basically the same as removing the cat?
A cut out only "removes" the catback, unless you weld the cutoff before the cats which is nearly impossible unless you elongate the y-pipe. Go with headers.
Old 10-06-2003, 11:57 AM

Yes, removing your cat is illegal, but I'd almost guarantee you can find a shop that will do it. Don't call and ask...they definately won't tell you over the phone, just drive around to small shops and you'll find one sooner or later. I wouldn't pay more than $10-15....even a redneck exhaust guy can cut off your cat and weld up a piece of pipe.
Old 10-06-2003, 12:02 PM

You can find a shop to do it. I can't think of a single exhaust shop around here that will say No. Of course, you have to ask them in person though. If you call and ask him to cut a cat, he won't give you a straight answer, cause he has no idea who he is talking to. Could be a cop for all he knows.
Old 10-06-2003, 12:11 PM

Originally posted by AxeGrinder30thZ
You can find a shop to do it. I can't think of a single exhaust shop around here that will say No. Of course, you have to ask them in person though. If you call and ask him to cut a cat, he won't give you a straight answer, cause he has no idea who he is talking to. Could be a cop for all he knows.
Well, you could be a cop if you walk up to him too. Cops don't always wear their uniform. Guys won't take the cat off unless they know you from my experience.
Old 10-06-2003, 12:24 PM

I agree with black Z..... What I would do is ask around with your friends or go to the track and find someone who had theirs done. They can refer you to someone. Do you have headers on your car? I know when you take out the cats its loud as hell. Almost unbearable to drive after awhile. For some anyways.
Old 10-06-2003, 12:32 PM

Originally posted by Black_Z28
Well, you could be a cop if you walk up to him too. Cops don't always wear their uniform. Guys won't take the cat off unless they know you from my experience.
Depends on who you are too I guess. If a snot nosed kit like me with a Led Zeppelin shirt walks up and wants his cats off, he probably won't think anything about it.
Old 10-06-2003, 12:40 PM

I have never heard of a shop that would do it period. What I did was had my exhaust put on but with clamps!!!! Afterwards I went home and clamped my ORP onto the I-Pipe and violla!! Most of the racers around my area had to do the same thing, It is one HUGE fine by the government if they catch a shop removing cats period. A shop in Longmeadow Mass went out of business from a fine they recieved for taking someone's cat off their car AFTER HOURS!! It was 50,000 for the fine! They do not fool around and most shops do not want the hassle for only 50.00-100.00
Old 10-06-2003, 01:35 PM

Originally posted by S.J.S.
I agree with black Z..... What I would do is ask around with your friends or go to the track and find someone who had theirs done. They can refer you to someone. Do you have headers on your car? I know when you take out the cats its loud as hell. Almost unbearable to drive after awhile. For some anyways.
It's not too bad. I have both of my cats removed and it doesn't bother me much. It's a little bit louder, but not too much.
Old 10-06-2003, 01:42 PM

Hey Black...thanks...I was curious on doind it to. Got a shop that will do it also but I was hesitant because a lot of guys said it was too loud. Anyone else have comments about it being loud? You know what I'll just put up a post.

thanks.
Old 10-06-2003, 01:44 PM
Administrator

The stock cat actually flows fairly well. Unless you have headers and a 3" cat back system I don't think it would be worth doing. Thats just my .02......
Old 10-06-2003, 01:52 PM

The guy wanting his cat cut off is in MI as well, and we have ZERO inspections here. No emmissions dyno, no visual, no safety. Cops will not hassle you about not having cats either, so i dont think it would be too hard to find someone to do it for him.

On my old 1990 Formula, I had a midas shop weld in the ORP when they installed my catback. My sisters boyfriend was the guy who did it if that makes any difference, but I think he shouldnt have much trouble here.
Old 10-06-2003, 02:05 PM

Originally posted by Nomar
The guy wanting his cat cut off is in MI as well, and we have ZERO inspections here. No emmissions dyno, no visual, no safety. Cops will not hassle you about not having cats either, so i dont think it would be too hard to find someone to do it for him.

On my old 1990 Formula, I had a midas shop weld in the ORP when they installed my catback. My sisters boyfriend was the guy who did it if that makes any difference, but I think he shouldnt have much trouble here.
If you can find a shop, go for it, All I'm saying is it is a federally mandated part, regardless if you have emissions, or visuals. I went to New Hampshire which does not have emissions and they told me to go screw at EVERY shop I went to. Even offerrin them more then the install was worth

Quick Reply: price guess