LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

problem keeping the k&n cai filter on

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2003, 06:10 AM

problem keeping the k&n cai filter on

i just put in the k&n cai 2 weeks ago and thought that i put it on tight, i popped the hood yesterday to check how dirty it was. So i open the hood and look through the 2 in hole next to the cai hole to see the filter sitting on the splash guard( good thing i didnt cut the splash guard off, the filter would be on the road somewhere). when i put the cai on i used a small screwdriver to tighten it, it was kinda cramped in there. I have heard of people cutting the splash guard or making holes in it to allow more air to come in. I would also like to do that but im afraid fo the filter comeing off and having to spend another 50 bucks for a cone filter. Could i glue or do something to make sure the filter stays on? thanks!
Old 08-08-2003, 07:37 AM

I run mine without the splashguard and I've never had it fall off. Maybe it just wasn't tight? I know it's a tough place to work.

Andy
Old 08-08-2003, 07:40 AM

Location: Somewhere between a shotgun barrel, and a blood spatter on the wall.
you could

a. throw on a couple extra hose clamps and make em TIGHT

or

b. drill a couple screws into it...

c. i would DEF make the holes in the slashguard bigger... not cut it out completely, or enough for the filter to fall thru... but ALOT of little holes all over the place... the air gets sucked outta there pretty quick
Old 08-08-2003, 07:42 AM

Just get it as tight at you can. Putting the filter on the end of my K&N CAI was the hardest part to do as well. That took up the most time. It's tricky, but just get it on there good. Shake it around and push/pull it after you put it on to make sure it's on there good.
Old 08-08-2003, 07:52 AM

If you take all 9 bolts out and remove the entire splash guard you should be able to get a bigger screwdriver on it or use a rachet with the correct socket. You can usually get it tighter with a rachet, but make sure you clean the oil off the lip with brake cleaner so it clamps better. Go to Home depot and get a dryer vent, like $5. Cut a hole in your splash guard to match the dryer vent and screw the the vent on the splash guard. Cut the bottom spoiler so air can get to just the vent. Hold the flap open on the dryer vent with a office paper clamp. You can screw a tab to the inside of the vent that allows you to close the flap if its raining or you don't want it open. It's a factory looking setup that only cost's like $5. If you want a picture let me know.
Old 08-08-2003, 07:55 AM

Location: Somewhere between a shotgun barrel, and a blood spatter on the wall.

hell... I want a picture...
Old 08-08-2003, 07:57 AM

Mine has never come off, but I did notice that the place where the filter sits was kinda tapered. I had the whole thing out, so I took a file and flattened the mounting area out a little bit. This also makes the surface a little rougher, so the filter is likely to grip better.
Old 08-08-2003, 07:58 AM

picture would be nice.

would you send me a picture please. If you have step by step pictures that would be awsome. thank you!

superadobo@hotmail.com
Old 08-08-2003, 08:28 AM

I'll try to get some pictures and send them to you tonight, since I'm at work now.
Old 08-08-2003, 09:04 AM

Mine keeps coming off too, and I have used a ratched to tighten the clamp, so I KNOW it was tight. I have no splash guard anymore, so I am always afraid of it coming off. In fact one day I went to the store across the street and when I came back the filter was sitting right there in the driveway where my car had been parked. Luckily it happened there and not somewhere else. I have been thinking about using some safety wire as a fail safe in case it does come loose. I was going to wire the filter up to a screw or bolt hole on the body. There really isn't room under there to put screws through the filter into the CAI tube. No room to work.
Old 08-08-2003, 10:38 AM

I used a ratchet on my filters for my SLP setup and haven't lost one yet. My SLP has metal tubes. Is the K&N plastic down there? That might be why I guess, if the plastic deforms when you crank down on the clamp, it might not be holding well enough.

Just a little 1/4" ratchet should be able to get up in there to it.

Last edited by LWillmann; 08-08-2003 at 10:45 AM.
Old 08-08-2003, 10:54 AM

Or you could change it altogether- my moroso cai does not come off. If you want the filter off you have to lossen the clamp and then wiggle the element back and forth to get it to come off.