LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Problem with keyless entry transmitter!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2003, 04:58 PM

Problem with keyless entry transmitter!!!!

Anyone have any problems with their keyless entry remotes? mine is a 96 and it sucks, the trunk and panic work perfectly....everytime, but the lock/unlock button i have to push the HELL out of them for them to work......if i take it apart and clean it just with my shirt is works good for a few times then goes back to the same deal.....if i clean it better(alchol/pencil eraser/sandpaper/conductive grease)...it works a little longer....but still ends up sucking again.....tried cahnging battery too....gm wants 60 bux for a new one....is there anything i can do, has anyone had these problems????
Old 06-16-2003, 05:46 PM

Angry

ive got the same problems, if I clean it, it works for a few weeks, then back to not working again.
Old 06-16-2003, 05:53 PM

Buy a new one. You can get them for pretty cheap on E-bay.

Here is what you need to re-program a 1996 and earlier 4th gen f-body remote.
1. Locate the Data Link Connector (under the dash near the steering column).
2. Attach a jumper from terminal 8 (8th pin from the left on the top) to terminal 4 (4th pin from the left on the top).
If you have done this properly, the doors should lock and unlock after less than about 5 seconds.
3. Hit any button on the first transmitter. Doors will lock and unlock when transmitter is accepted.
4. Hit any button on the second transmitter. Again, doors will lock and unlock when transmitter is accepted.
5. Remove the jumper from the DLC and the transmitters should both operate correctly.
Note: If you remove the jumper before programming both transmitters, only the first will work and will fill both the slots of acceptable transmitters. Also, the transmitters will not work until the jumper has been disconnected.
Old 06-16-2003, 06:21 PM

I had the same problem. I got hold of a newer remote (junkyard) that was in perfect shape and was similar in design but the incorrect part number. I moved the circuit board from my original remote to the new remote case. Without any need for reprogramming any thing, I now have a perfectly functioning remote.

After having also cleaned my original remotes many times I think what has happened is that the back of the buttons wear out. There is a little black disk that when pressed contacts the circuit board and transmits the desired command. After awhile the black stuff wears off and further cleaning will not help.

JeffA
Old 06-16-2003, 06:55 PM

Yeah, mine does kind of the same thing!! I can unlock my hatch ok, but for the doors I pretty much have to hold the remote over my windshield and press the buttons!! Kind kind of defeats the purpose of 'remote' if you are standing next to your car!!!!
Old 06-17-2003, 03:42 AM

but will any 96 and ealier remote(i asuume from many gm vehicles?) work with my car? or does it have to be another fbody for it to accept programming?
Old 06-17-2003, 07:12 AM

Here is another fix. Get some aluminum or stainless steel tape. Clean the contact points in the transmitter. You know, the rubbery *****, and the little circuit board. Cut small pieces of the metallic tape and stick them onto the rubbery *****, not the circuit board. This should fix the problem so that you only have to do this every 6 months or so. Not a cure all, but it does work.
Old 06-17-2003, 07:43 PM

ebay is awsome, i found at least 10 auctions for brand new fob's like mine with the same key layout, so i can just grab one off those and switch out the circuit board...all for buy it now for like 6.99-14.99, or i may just buy one just like mine and have an extra
Old 06-17-2003, 07:59 PM

Originally posted by Blue96z28
but will any 96 and ealier remote(i asuume from many gm vehicles?) work with my car? or does it have to be another fbody for it to accept programming?
As far as I know, just about any GM key fob will work.