LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Problem since plug change...

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2003, 03:16 PM

Problem since plug change...

So I got my plugs and wires finished this week. Last weekend I did all but #2, then Saturday took on the hell that was the #2 plug.

Not too long after I got it back together, I noticed it was hesitating at low RPMs. After driving it that way for a while, I got a "service engine soon" light.

Why would it do that on 8 plugs but not on 7 new plugs? I don't get it. I'm guessing it might be something not directly related that just so happened to coincide.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm pretty fed up with the car as it is, so I'm about ready to drive into a damned Chevy dealer and pay out the *** to have it fixed.

Edit: I have a 97 LT-1 Z28, automatic. I put in NGK TR55 plugs and MSD Super Conductor wires
Old 03-09-2003, 05:27 PM

Damn, already fell back to page 2? Sadness ensues
Old 03-09-2003, 05:35 PM

I am betting you have a bad plug wire.Did you change them?If not you should.
Old 03-09-2003, 05:41 PM

Originally posted by joeSS97
I am betting you have a bad plug wire.Did you change them?If not you should.
Yeah, changed all of the plug wires as well.

It seems to run fine at higher RPMs, as soon as I get past 3k or so it runs just like normal.
Old 03-09-2003, 05:45 PM

Double check that they are connected right especially the last one you did.Does your SES light flash?
Old 03-09-2003, 10:05 PM

Originally posted by joeSS97
Double check that they are connected right especially the last one you did.Does your SES light flash?
It blinked, then went solid. At one point when I stayed in the problematic RPM range for a while, it started blinking again.
Old 03-09-2003, 10:38 PM

make sure ALL the plug wires are on tight and all the way. The pass. side plugs are hard to tell if you've got em on all the way. Just double check and save yourself some cash before takin it to the dealer. OH and a single cylinder miss will be easier to pick out at lower rpms under a load, than at higher rpm's b/c the other cylinders cover the miss.
Old 03-09-2003, 10:59 PM

Originally posted by blueirocz-28
make sure ALL the plug wires are on tight and all the way. The pass. side plugs are hard to tell if you've got em on all the way. Just double check and save yourself some cash before takin it to the dealer. OH and a single cylinder miss will be easier to pick out at lower rpms under a load, than at higher rpm's b/c the other cylinders cover the miss.
I'll double check the plugs before I pay anyone else to do any work on it for me, thanks.

One thing I notice is, it feels like it's losing power at the lower RPM, then when I get above 3k or so it feels like normal and all of the power comes back. I was thinking that it might just be harder to hear higher in the range as well, but the whole "good power up high" thing got me thinking that might not be the case.

I'll make sure all of the wires are tight next time I get the car up in the air, though. Also make sure nothing got chewed up by a pulley or something. It just didn't seem like it would be a problem with that since it seems to be running fine at high RPMs.
Old 03-13-2003, 07:43 PM

a ttt for ya, as i'm having the same hesitation under load problem.

I've narrowed it down to either an exhaust leak, bad maf, or a loose spark plug.

Do you hear anything different now, during the hesitation? For me, while the car hesitatis, I hear a loud, sharp "hiiissss" coming from under the hood. It kind of pulsates, but its not very pronounced.

I'm guessing its either a loose plug or a loose primary slip tube.

would improper gap do this? I have ngk tr-55s and I thought they were gapped at 0.050 from the factory.. so I stuck them right in.

Any input, anyone?

Last edited by mineralwater; 03-13-2003 at 07:48 PM.
Old 03-14-2003, 01:31 AM

Mine actually turned out to be a plug wire that was routed badly and rubbing on a belt. At least I think that's what it is, the wire looks pretty badly eaten. I'm going to swap the wire out and hopefully it fixes it.