LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

problems starting car<---fuel related

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2005, 01:59 AM

Re: problems starting car<---fuel related

ya i changed the fuel filter about 5 months ago, hoping that was the problem but it wasnt

Zman, ya i am getting frustrated, its not a problem that needs to be attented to right away(its been doing the same thing for 7 monhts) its just getting to the point to where i dont know what to check but luckily im gonna meet up with zeuses 97 ram air tomorrow and hopefully we can figure it out , but i really appreciate your help and i'll keep you guys posted with anythingi can figure out

thanks again
Old 07-24-2005, 07:44 AM

Based on the fact that you can cycle power and start it easier, that suggests the fuel system is priming since it lost pressure and drained back toward the tank.

You say that it probably is not the fuel pump since it's been doing that for 6-7 months. I disagree, there is a check ball in the OEM pump to help hold pressure and they go bad often. There are 2 main reasons the fuel drains back toward the tank. Either something is leaking air in the fuel system or the check ball is bad. More often than not, the check ball is the culprit.

Air leaks in the fuel system can be pin holes, a sticky injector or a leaking fuel pressure regulator diaphragm. All of these would effect fuel milage and should be noticeable when you fill it up by sucking down the fuel. BUT a sticky injector or a bad diaphragm would cause the opposite effect on cranking. That is, cycling power would not cause it to start easier since the intake would be flooded.

Your symptoms rule out injectors and FPR. I'm going with the fuel pump.

Since you don't have many tools, the easiest way to rule the fuel pump check ball in or out is to clamp off the fuel line right as the engine is turned off. If when you return to start the engine, you remove the clamp and it starts right up without cycling power as you have been. You know the problem is not the pumps check ball. In your case, you will remove the clamp and it still won't start easy.

Be sure to check all the lines for leaks before you go buying parts. Start at the fuel rails and end at the tank. One place that leaks a lot is the fittings at the fuel filter. The other less likely is at the fuel rails.

Dave
Old 07-25-2005, 02:24 AM

He is right Sorry I did not call you back was busy fixing the garage it collapsed so I had to call some people to fix everything. But based on my freinds same prob you haev he had to do the same thing to his car what you described to me on the phone.. He will do everything plugs wires and fuelpump for 160.... So call me tommorow to set yup an appointment.
Old 07-25-2005, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by Zeueses 97 RamAir
He will do everything plugs wires and fuelpump for 160.... So call me tommorow to set yup an appointment.
Holy Crap. I'll drive from Virginia to get a price like that for labor for wires AND fuel pump.

Does this guy actually know what it takes to do either
Old 07-25-2005, 10:28 AM

My 96 Z28 is doing the same thing. I repalced the fuel pump with a aftermarket one last year and this just started. Today I turned the key on and listened to the pump and I could hear it not building up pressure right away so I kicked it on a few times and tried it, the car started right up. I will have to look at that check valve.
Old 07-25-2005, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by mc355ss
My 96 Z28 is doing the same thing. I repalced the fuel pump with a aftermarket one last year and this just started. Today I turned the key on and listened to the pump and I could hear it not building up pressure right away so I kicked it on a few times and tried it, the car started right up. I will have to look at that check valve.
How do you hear a pump not build up pressure???? Does that mean it didn't come on? If so that's a different problem than a check ball sticking.
Old 07-26-2005, 01:26 AM

Put it this way This guy can do it blindfolded. He will even tell you which bolt is which. Hes the doctor of lt1s
Old 07-29-2005, 12:33 PM

My '96 Z28 SS is doing the same thing. I replaced the starter with no avail. I am betting it's the fuel pump!
Old 07-29-2005, 12:37 PM

I guess you dont want to fix your car call me he will do the job... Angelo