LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Pulled the plugs!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2005, 11:09 PM

Pulled the plugs!

Got to working on my plugs and wires tonight (MSD's and platnums going in) and I never thought you could make plugs that hard to get to (stock manifolds). After about two hours I had the front three on the driver side bank done and when I saw how much of a pain it was to get to the rear plug I called it a night and the third plug back on the driver side required me to lay across the engine to break it loose and get the new plug in!

I THOUGHT my car was runing really well last season (the car had minor stuff and hung on to the back bumper of LS1's) for what it is but the plugs are SHOT, they wore away so bad that the gap is about twice what it should be (rough guess) and the car was runing ritch because of it. The passenger side looks a lot harder so I decided to do that last and will go back at it Saturday....

Is there a trick to get to the rear plug on the driver side with the o2 being there or is it not as hard as it looks. On the front plug on the passenger side I am assuming the alternator will probably have to come out????

For all those that have changed the plugs and wires on a stock manifold car you have my respect....

Last edited by YZF/LS1 Freak; 02-17-2005 at 11:13 PM.
Old 02-17-2005, 11:48 PM

Re: Pulled the plugs!

For the front plug i would def take the alt. off. It will make life easier and it doesnt take long to pull the belt off and undo the bolts for the alt. For the rest of the plugs, i always found it easier to use a spark plug socket and a wrench. It has been awhile since i have worked with manifolds but if you put the spark plug socket on the plug you can usually get to the end of it with a wrench (i.e. i believe its a 3/4" wrench that fits over the end of the spark plug socket, and a ratcheting wrench is always helpful). Anyway, if that doesnt work you have to try from the bottom of the engine, side, or sitting on top of the engine. Its a pain in the A$$ but you will get it eventually. Anyway good luck with it.

Brandon
Old 02-17-2005, 11:52 PM

Re: Pulled the plugs!

Originally Posted by trans9_5am
the bottom of the engine, side, or sitting on top of the engine.
LOL been doing that, only one I have done from up top is the third one back on the driver side.
I have a new belt for the car so I might as well take the alternator off.