LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Pulley wont come off, help please

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2003, 11:34 PM

Originally posted by will62085
with the ballencer puller, dont thread the bolts into the ballencer, use smaller bolts with nuts and washers on the other end
He is trying to remove the pulley, not the hub.
Old 11-21-2003, 06:49 PM

If you use the washers wouldn't that just take the hub off too? I heard it is a pain to get it back on right and I need to just get the pulley off the reach the last opti bolt.
Old 01-08-2004, 11:07 AM

Firehawk - I sent you PM
----

Shoebox or anyone -
So how do you get these 3 bolts off the Harmonic Balancer? Few of my buddies tell me to leave the serpentine belt on and socket wrench the 3 Harmonic Balancer bolts off. Uhh, the pulley moves! Then a mustang buddy of mines tells me to get a puller. Uhh, but the bolts are still on and I'm not pulling the hub! I forget what the correct approach is. Please help, I need to finish this opti change.

PEPPER
Old 01-08-2004, 11:48 AM

I know this may not be ethical but it works. Us the handle from a jack and wrap it with a towel. If you use the swaybar as a lever point it should come off fairly easy. You took the hub bolt out and tried to use a pulley puller. I would check the threads on the crank to make sure you didn't strip them. Anytime you put a puller on you need to put a dowel pin in the crank hole or else you'll be pushing against the threads with the puller. If the Hub bolt doesn't go back in properly you'll need a tap and die set to re-thread the crank. This is very crucial because you can through your whole setup out of balance and then you'll be pulling the motor. Good luck on this.
Old 01-08-2004, 11:52 AM

You should be able to remove the 3 bolts that hold the pulley without too much trouble. In an auto trans car, the crank may move a little but once it comes up against compression, it should hold long enough to break loose. If you have a manual trans car, put it in gear and put the parking brake on. It should hold still, then.
Old 01-08-2004, 12:05 PM

Originally posted by shoebox
You should be able to remove the 3 bolts that hold the pulley without too much trouble. In an auto trans car, the crank may move a little but once it comes up against compression, it should hold long enough to break loose. If you have a manual trans car, put it in gear and put the parking brake on. It should hold still, then.
Uhh, the spark plugs are not in, same as the headers due to a header install "on hold"...so no compression. Now what? Put the plugs back in? If so, I guess I would have to turn the crank one revolution to build the compression back up. Or could I take another approach? This is my first time doing all this and everything is going well but I'm not sure if I'm doing this correctly. Seems like I cut a corner or two.
Old 01-08-2004, 12:16 PM

Originally posted by Tires_Smokin
Uhh, the spark plugs are not in, same as the headers due to a header install "on hold"...so no compression. Now what? Put the plugs back in? If so, I guess I would have to turn the crank one revolution to build the compression back up. Or could I take another approach? This is my first time doing all this and everything is going well but I'm not sure if I'm doing this correctly. Seems like I cut a corner or two.
Use a long extension (or whatever) and place it through one of the spokes on the pulley and jam it against a safe place where you won't cause any damage. That should hold it still to get the bolts off.
Old 01-08-2004, 12:18 PM

your not putting the the bolts for the puller in the same place you took them out of the balancer are you ( cause that would mean youre gonna yank the hub off with it.. )
Old 01-08-2004, 12:27 PM

Originally posted by shoebox
Use a long extension (or whatever) and place it through one of the spokes on the pulley and jam it against a safe place where you won't cause any damage. That should hold it still to get the bolts off.
I'll try that tonight. I was thinking that when I was looking at it but didn't spend much time on the thoght since it was late at night. I'll try to find a way to jam something in there so it doesn't move. Thanks man!