LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

pushrod question

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 01:30 AM

pushrod question

if i am only switching to a 1.6 rr and comp 918 springs, do i have to check pushrod length? which PR's should i get?
Old 02-24-2007, 02:10 AM

It is always suggested to check PR length whenever changing components in the valve train. Is it necessary for what you're doing? Not really. Many upon many have just swapped out 1.6rr's and springs and used a stock length hardened pushrod. If I'm not mistaking I believe '95's came with hardened pushrods. Not completely sure. If you want to be thorough then go ahead and check them.
There has been some controversy as of late with members bending hardened pushrods with mild setups however I'm not sure if any of those were using the stock cam. If it were me I'd check the length and go with these hardened pushrods with guideplates if the measurement is of stock length:
http://www.lingenfelter.com/store/ln0280h.html
Or you can spend the extra cash (about $50 more) and get chromoly for complete peace of mind if that's your thing. The above pushrods were used in my LPE setup w/ spring pressures in the neighborhood of 370# open using a 1.46" dia. spring and they worked well.
Basically if you feel better about measuring then do it so you can get the absolute correct valve geometry especially if you go with something other than Comp Pro Mags or HiTechs since those two have been proven to follow the same geometry criteria as stock rockers.
Old 02-24-2007, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by SS RRR
It is always suggested to check PR length whenever changing components in the valve train. Is it necessary for what you're doing? Not really. Many upon many have just swapped out 1.6rr's and springs and used a stock length hardened pushrod. If I'm not mistaking I believe '95's came with hardened pushrods. Not completely sure. If you want to be thorough then go ahead and check them.
There has been some controversy as of late with members bending hardened pushrods with mild setups however I'm not sure if any of those were using the stock cam. If it were me I'd check the length and go with these hardened pushrods with guideplates if the measurement is of stock length:
http://www.lingenfelter.com/store/ln0280h.html
Or you can spend the extra cash (about $50 more) and get chromoly for complete peace of mind if that's your thing. The above pushrods were used in my LPE setup w/ spring pressures in the neighborhood of 370# open using a 1.46" dia. spring and they worked well.
Basically if you feel better about measuring then do it so you can get the absolute correct valve geometry especially if you go with something other than Comp Pro Mags or HiTechs since those two have been proven to follow the same geometry criteria as stock rockers.
Well put, but I would like to add that if your going to spend the money on those nice rockerarms and springs, maybe you could order the rockers in the 7/16 stud size and purchase a set of ARP 7/16 studs. Throw in a set of GMPP guideplates and a quality set pushrods. Almost forgot to mention the rockers should be NSA. With all these quality parts you will have a nice valvetrain if you decide to cam it.
Old 02-24-2007, 12:54 PM
Banned

Always good reading on pushrods....

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showthread.php?t=501667