LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

putting engine back in: have a few q's!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2003, 02:34 PM

putting engine back in: have a few q's!

Well, I am finnaly putting a new engine into my car this weekend. When we took the old one out, it sucked, but was easy in a way, because we had removed AC, power steering, and exhaust manifolds. But when I put the new motor in, it is already gonna have all of this stuff on it. So I have a few questions about assembling everything.
1) should I leave the motor mounts in place and just put the long bolt back in. Or would it be easier to unbolt them from the car? We already had to with the drivers side to get the engine out though
2) Is there any easy was to hook the starter back up? I busted it getting it out along with countless other things
3) Does anyone have an install guide or lots of pictures of an LT! in the car, just so I can see how some stuff goes back in
4) Why does this have to be so hard????

Oh, it is going in through the top for sure.
Old 06-17-2003, 08:31 PM

Okay, all I really need now is some good pictures of an lt1 in the engine bay. I just realized there are way more different things between 94 and 95 engines besides the opti. So if anyone has any pictures, especially some good front shots of the hoses and stuff, I would appreciate it. Also, if someone could take some pictures and email them to me that woulkd be cool too. Thanks
Old 06-17-2003, 09:33 PM

You don't say if you have an A4 or M6 .I just dropped mine in from the top on a 94. If you can I would leave the intake off. I finally had to loosen my rear tranny mount and bolt the motor to the motor mounts, then align tranny with motor from underneath the car to get it bolted together. The less crap you have bolted on going in the better. I tried lining up the bell housing bolts with the engine before I had it in the motor mounts but finally got smart and bolted the motor to the motor mounts, I think I wasted 8 hrs. trying before I figured it out. I have an M6 tranny so I hooked up the clutch fork and pushed it in a little before I could get the motor to completely close the gap between motor & bell housing. Good Luck
Old 06-17-2003, 09:38 PM

I pulled it out with the tranny and intake attached. I think I like it better that way, since then I don't have to align as much, and I had a plate built that is way better than the happy hooker. But now I am just worried about how everything connects, I guess I should have labeled more. Please send me pics of these engines in the car. I have a manual tranny by the way.