LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Question about cold starting the car after it has sat a while...

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2004, 02:37 PM

Question about cold starting the car after it has sat a while...

Ok here is the deal. I am going to be storing the car shortly for about 3-4 months depending on how the winter goes. My question is, when first starting it, would it be a good idea to unplug the coil and turn the car over for a bit until it builds oil pressure? I wouldn't have ever thought of this except a friend of mine has gotten into racing asphalt late model stock cars. It seems to be the normal thing for most people in the pits to turn on the main power, crank the engine until oil pressure builds on the gauge, then turn on the ignition and start it. This is only done when starting it the first time for the day. What are your thoughts?

Aaron
Old 11-09-2004, 02:59 PM

Re: Question about cold starting the car after it has sat a while...

I would recommend you take all the spark plugs out, put a little oil in each cylinder and hand crank it over a few times. Then, unhook coil wire and fuel injectors and build up oil pressure that way. And then finally start it.

That's just the "safest" way I could think of.
Old 11-09-2004, 07:34 PM

I just start mine up in the spring after sitting for almost six months of winter.

Wether you rotate it with the starter or just start it up,,, either way the mains and rod bearings will see some dry rotation. I think if it is started up you get max oil pressure and get it quicker than if you go the the hassle of pulling the plugs.

Just my $0.02
Old 11-09-2004, 08:34 PM

3 or 4 months isn't that long of time when storing a car, you will always have some amount of oil sitting around the brgs and stuff so I wouldn't worry about pulling plugs and oiling the cyl especially on these cars where the plugs aren't that easy to get to.

What I would recommend you do is pull the battery and trickle charge it occasionally till you are ready to install it back into the car. Remove the serpentine belt too so it doesn't stretch too much and if you have a block heater plug it in for a couple hours before you are ready to turn it over. That will heat up the engine which will also heat up the oil and the coolant so that when the engine starts the oil flows that much quicker to all the lubricating areas.

If you have stands get the car off the suspension and the tires to prevent flat spotting.

Tony
Old 11-09-2004, 08:42 PM

Ditto on the above. But the best way to get oil in the bearings with out moving the motor is to prime the oil pump. basically take off the intake and insert a drill to spin the oil pump and get oil in all the bearings. Then turn it on

Also oil never leaves the bearings completly. There is always some in there. It doesnt all drain out.