LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

question about heads/cam to finish 383, and DCR

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 12:43 PM

idk, im still going back and forth, ive seen a smaller lunati voodoo running 11.50s on a 350, so with a bigger cam, bigger motor, i should be able to be faster than that since our cars would be setup about the same...

this is a hard choice man
Old 02-12-2007, 01:26 PM
Banned

Uhhh oh look whos trolling more threads to bad mouth me again

60122 N/A 282/290 231/239 .535"/.550" 110/106 Hyd/Hyd 2400-6400
60122 Description- Hydraulic Roller: Great "Street Machine" cam Likes upgraded intake, carb and headers. Needs 9.5:1 compression minimum. Requires 2500 RPM stall converter in most applications and needs 3.42-Up gearing.

60123 N/A 294/302 243/251 .560"/.565" 110/106 Hyd/Hyd 2800-6800
60123 Description- Hydraulic Roller: Serious Street and Bracket race cam. Needs 10.5:1 compression. Makes unequalled power above 3500 RPM. Works well with moderate amounts of Nitrous or small supercharger.

I'm guessing these are the cams you are wondering about?

Bigger isin't always the key to going quicker. You seem to have your mind set on the TFS heads, I've already told you my angle on those. You can't mill them to get more compression than any OEM LT head.

Bret
Old 02-12-2007, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by SStrokerAce
don't blame me for your insecurities. don't like the questions I ask, put me back on ignore.
Old 02-12-2007, 01:53 PM

60122 N/A 282/290 231/239 .535"/.550" 110/106 Hyd/Hyd 2400-6400
60122 Description- Hydraulic Roller: Great "Street Machine" cam Likes upgraded intake, carb and headers. Needs 9.5:1 compression minimum. Requires 2500 RPM stall converter in most applications and needs 3.42-Up gearing.

60123 N/A 294/302 243/251 .560"/.565" 110/106 Hyd/Hyd 2800-6800
60123 Description- Hydraulic Roller: Serious Street and Bracket race cam. Needs 10.5:1 compression. Makes unequalled power above 3500 RPM. Works well with moderate amounts of Nitrous or small supercharger.

I'm guessing these are the cams you are wondering about?

Bigger isin't always the key to going quicker. You seem to have your mind set on the TFS heads, I've already told you my angle on those. You can't mill them to get more compression than any OEM LT head.

Bret
that last cam is the one i am looking at. I would be around 11:1 compression ratio with the TFS heads

sry bret, i just wanted another opinion on this.
I will be running a 150 shot direct port, so thats why i was looking at that cam. The guy helping me with my engine said that cam would be great for what I want.
Why are you so opposed to that cam and the TFS heads? Is it because its less money in your pocket? I mean, what works for one person may not always work for another....and in a properly setup car, i dont know why that cam wouldn't work with those heads, especially for my situation. Im still waiting for lloyds opinion, ive sent him emails, tried calling him, so idk if hes on vacation or what.
Old 02-12-2007, 02:00 PM
Banned

Well if that's your take on me, then fine. I applaud you for looking around at other things and I gave you my professional opinion and it's not what you wanted to hear. Then I told you I just couldn't help you, my guess is Lloyd figured the same thing. I give you advice for free, which I do a good amount of the day, but I don't spec out a engine for you for free or give you free cam specs, and looking at the cam choice you have in mind I can tell I didn't give anything away for free. That's all. Good Luck.

Bret
Old 02-12-2007, 02:01 PM

Well if that's your take on me, then fine. I applaud you for looking around at other things and I gave you my professional opinion and it's not what you wanted to hear. Then I told you I just couldn't help you, my guess is Lloyd figured the same thing. I give you advice for free, which I do a good amount of the day, but I don't spec out a engine for you for free or give you free cam specs, and looking at the cam choice you have in mind I can tell I didn't give anything away for free. That's all. Good Luck.

Bret
okay, so in ur professional opinion, why wouldnt that cam work in my setup?
why would i be better to go with LE3 heads and LE4 cam, thats what i am wondering.
You know the specs of both cams, so which cam would be better for my setup?

383, flat top pistons, want to run pump gas
3:73s, 3600 stall, 26" tires

to be honest, the only reason im skeptical on the LE package, is they dyno high, but i RARELY see them run what they should, and i have no idea on the specs, so i cant compare it to any cams

Last edited by reamo04; 02-12-2007 at 02:09 PM.
Old 02-12-2007, 02:16 PM

Well if that's your take on me, then fine. I applaud you for looking around at other things and I gave you my professional opinion and it's not what you wanted to hear.
What is your profession, Bret? Seriously.
Old 02-12-2007, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by SS MPSTR
What is your profession, Bret? Seriously.
ss, thanks for the help, but please dont flame

im just curious to how the LE package would be better than my idea for a setup, because he has yet to answer that in the week we exchanged PMs, or even now
Old 02-12-2007, 03:32 PM

i havent done the actual numbers but i do believe the le3 heads will come out cheaper overall thant he tfs stuff. and 2nd if you're gonna use a flat top piston the only option you have to increase compression is to mill the tfs stuff... then you gotta mill the intake to fit it and deal with all the little treats that brings on. the le3 heads start with a chamber volume of where the tfs stuff starts at and you can mill from there. the tfs stuff does however have a slight advantage wrt deck thickness with heavy nitrous or fi apps.

with the area you're lookin at for camshaft durations you're gonna need all the comp you can get and thats just flat out free hp and tq all acrossed the rpms. the voodoo cams are pretty good for shelf cams but they are like all shelf cams they match a general situation, not your exact one, and with that you're gonna leave power on the table.

as for the le/bre setups dyno'ing high and not running the number at the track. the dyno numbers are purely the job of the engine builder, head porter, and cam designer. getting the car to et and mph is your job. the sad fact is that most of the people here really need to pick up a physics book before they try and build a fast car. if more people here would spend as much time scrutonizing thier entire combo from the front bumper to the rear the times we see posted on here would be one hell of a lot better for all combos, even shelf ones.
Old 02-12-2007, 04:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by reamo04
ss, thanks for the help, but please dont flame

im just curious to how the LE package would be better than my idea for a setup, because he has yet to answer that in the week we exchanged PMs, or even now
You need to re-read the 10+ PMs again. As I said the 15cfm more isin't worth the compression loss you have with 6cc larger chambers. Only other thing to do is try your setup and see if it runs better. I think you'll be down 20 ft lbs or more from idle to 5500rpm and then make the same peak HP. But what do I know.

Bret

Last edited by SStrokerAce; 02-12-2007 at 06:02 PM.
Old 02-12-2007, 05:30 PM

well guys, im getting ready to get my car done, and am down to the heads/cam

ive talked to bret, and he said I would be perfect to go with LE3 heads and a LE4 cam, but i kinda want more than that.

I want to run mid to low 11's on motor with a properly setup car

i was thinking of running ported TFS heads and maybe a lunati voodoo cam (the biggest one) since it is about everything I am looking for out of a cam
this would give me around a 8.5:1 DCR tho, is this too high to run on pump gas?

I want a power band from 3500-6800 and the voodoo is right around that for a power band.

the car will have a 3600 stall, and 3.73 gears
How could this car with LE3 heads and a LE3 or 4 cam not run mid to low 11s if the rest of the car is set up right and not have any issues?
Old 02-12-2007, 05:48 PM

sometimes we spend too much of our short life battling each other. based on my limited experience I have to say that Bret and Lloyd are truely great people to do business with, they seem to know how to make our cars make power and like a thread or two above was kind enough to point out it takes traction and a driver,(god forbid it's a stick) to get a car to run fast! A retard in a Viper will run 13.5 all day long! and lastly both Lloyd and Bret will spend many hours offering us advise which I believe to be good advise for FREE, many people never buy anything, I have and will continue! JUST MY 2 CENTS
Old 02-12-2007, 06:41 PM

You can run 11.30s with a 383 with LT1 castings and a small cam that only needs 6300rpm to get the job done...Don't go too big on duration which requires all kinds of rpm to make power...If your peak at 6800 you'll need 4.10s-4.30s to get into the power by the end of the track (tire size obviously effects this) and remember that your 3600 converter will probably be too small (a general rule of conveters suggest a stall speed of 500-700 rpm below torque peak, some argue up to 900 rpm below)...I am by no means an expert on cams, but its very important to match the cam, converter, and gears...It won't help you at all if your cam's max power happens an 1/8 mile after you cross the traps...and Eric Bradby (E.B. Porting) does one hell of a job on heads....

--Alan
Old 02-12-2007, 06:47 PM

ream04,

what email address are you sending emails to?

I get 15-30 emails a day and spend about 2 hrs a night answering them. I usually have them responded to with in a day or two. I only have un read emails in my in box anbd all of those are from the past day and a half.

I get 10-15 telephone messages left everyday and usually get back with peoiple with in a day or two also. Some people do not leave a PH # or area code (as crazy as it sound) and so these people never get called back. Some people do not leave a message at all so OBVIOUSLY they never get called back.

I work in the shop for 8-10 hours a day and ignore the phone to focus on getting work completed (completed work pays the bills, not phone calls) and after I get my work day in, I come in and answer emails and phone calls. This is pretty common for ANY porter, at least the ones that are back logged with work anyway.
Old 02-12-2007, 07:16 PM

well, i know the flow numbers for the TFS is like 306 at 600
and the LE3s are like 280ish at 600

so....is the extra flow worth it, or what. I will talk to lloyd and see what he thinks i guess, eitherway he is getting my money so yeah
Yea but those TFS heads are unported. Get them ported + milled and I bet they will outmatch those LE3's.

On a side note, checkout www.advancedinduction.com

LE and Ai are two great sources for lt stuff

Quick Reply: question about heads/cam to finish 383, and DCR