LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

question about heads/cam to finish 383, and DCR

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by NightTrain66
ream04,

what email address are you sending emails to?

I get 15-30 emails a day and spend about 2 hrs a night answering them. I usually have them responded to with in a day or two. I only have un read emails in my in box anbd all of those are from the past day and a half.

I get 10-15 telephone messages left everyday and usually get back with peoiple with in a day or two also. Some people do not leave a PH # or area code (as crazy as it sound) and so these people never get called back. Some people do not leave a message at all so OBVIOUSLY they never get called back.

I work in the shop for 8-10 hours a day and ignore the phone to focus on getting work completed (completed work pays the bills, not phone calls) and after I get my work day in, I come in and answer emails and phone calls. This is pretty common for ANY porter, at least the ones that are back logged with work anyway.
lloyd-
i sent it to the one thats listed here on the site, i clicked ur name and went to "send an email to nighttrain66"
i will try again, or PM u this time.
Pretty much, i want to be able to run a 11.30 on a 383, and was wondering if u woudl recommend the 383 w/ ported TFS heads and a custom cam (but bret said he could not help me), or 383 w/ the LE3 heads and LE4 cam
This will be a street driven car, but I have rode in some pretty nasty-cammed cars on the street and did not mind it, which is why I kind of want to keep SCR down, so its not as rough on everything.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by NightTrain66
ream04,

what email address are you sending emails to?

I get 15-30 emails a day and spend about 2 hrs a night answering them. I usually have them responded to with in a day or two. I only have un read emails in my in box anbd all of those are from the past day and a half.

I get 10-15 telephone messages left everyday and usually get back with peoiple with in a day or two also. Some people do not leave a PH # or area code (as crazy as it sound) and so these people never get called back. Some people do not leave a message at all so OBVIOUSLY they never get called back.

I work in the shop for 8-10 hours a day and ignore the phone to focus on getting work completed (completed work pays the bills, not phone calls) and after I get my work day in, I come in and answer emails and phone calls. This is pretty common for ANY porter, at least the ones that are back logged with work anyway.
Yep, you have always gotten back to me within 24 hours of me emailing you, often within hours. BTW the heads are shipping out tomarrow.

Originally Posted by hsyr
Yea but those TFS heads are unported. Get them ported + milled and I bet they will outmatch those LE3's.

On a side note, checkout www.advancedinduction.com

LE and Ai are two great sources for lt stuff
Try again, unported TFS heads flow 240-250 cfm. Hell AI's says their 200cc TFS heads flow 275CFM, while TEA's 200cc TFS heads flow 294 CFM. Hmm, wonder what the AI nutswingers will have to say about this.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
Yep, you have always gotten back to me within 24 hours of me emailing you, often within hours. BTW the heads are shipping out tomarrow.

Try again, unported TFS heads flow 240-250 cfm. Hell AI's says their 200cc TFS heads flow 275CFM, while TEA's 200cc TFS heads flow 294 CFM. Hmm, wonder what the AI nutswingers will have to say about this.

stock TFS heads flow 254 @ .600
i heard that lloyd can get them to flow 306 @.600
and AI said at least 275, havent talked to TEA
Old 02-12-2007, 09:12 PM

so, after talking to lloyd, it looks like i will be doing the le3/le4 package
Old 02-12-2007, 10:20 PM

I will second what Lloyd said about getting back to someone. Once again can't say enough about Bret and Lloyd and their desire to help us all out!
Old 02-12-2007, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by remaxracer45
I will second what Lloyd said about getting back to someone. Once again can't say enough about Bret and Lloyd and their desire to help us all out!
yeah, they do try to help as much as possible, but bret had never gave me a reason on why the LE package would be better than what i was looking at until today
Old 02-12-2007, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by reamo04
yeah, they do try to help as much as possible, but bret had never gave me a reason on why the LE package would be better than what i was looking at until today
And that reason was???
Old 02-12-2007, 11:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by seawolf06
And that reason was???
Up a few posts....

Originally Posted by SStrokerAce
s I said the 15cfm more isin't worth the compression loss you have with 6cc larger chambers.

Bret
Old 02-12-2007, 11:56 PM

Same thing you LE/BRE nutswingers should say when flow numbers themselves are raised - not a damn thing, because the numbers in and of themselves don't mean crap.
Old 02-13-2007, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by SS MPSTR
Same thing you LE/BRE nutswingers should say when flow numbers themselves are raised - not a damn thing, because the numbers in and of themselves don't mean crap.
How are we nutswingers. Were not the ones bashing every other head out there besides the ones we run. I'll be one of the first to admit there are some badass AI cars out there, hell I almost bought a set of AI heads. It would be stupid to say one is better than the other without doing a test in a controlled environment though, theres WAY too many variables from car to car. Most of the AI stuff goes on cars that have the whole combination down, not just the heads and cam and thats why they post some good #'s like Rick Abare. If you guys would realize that there is more than 1 headporter out there that puts out badass heads this would all come to an end. And I'll admit I was skeptical about buying a BRE cam at first because some LE cars were putting down some pretty sad track #'s, but that came to an end when I took my car to the track. The LE/bre cars running bad times obviously have some issues to work out.
Old 02-13-2007, 12:29 AM

How are we nutswingers. Were not the ones bashing every other head out there besides the ones we run. I'll be one of the first to admit there are some badass AI cars out there, hell I almost bought a set of AI heads. It would be stupid to say one is better than the other without doing a test in a controlled environment though, theres WAY too many variables from car to car. Most of the AI stuff goes on cars that have the whole combination down, not just the heads and cam and thats why they post some good #'s like Rick Abare. If you guys would realize that there is more than 1 headporter out there that puts out badass heads this would all come to an end. And I'll admit I was skeptical about buying a BRE cam at first because some LE cars were putting down some pretty sad track #'s, but that came to an end when I took my car to the track. The LE/bre cars running bad times obviously have some issues to work out.

For one, I've got no issue with LE. If anything, he's been good for the LT1 head market and the subsequent competition he started by offering porting at budget concious prices.

Your comment about Ai/TFS flow numbers was silly, uninformed and unnecessary.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:37 AM

Well the guy looking for info, got his info now he can make an educated decision, and WOW it didn't cost him anything! Thanks Bret, time to end this post that got way too ..... Well you know
Old 02-13-2007, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by reamo04
to be honest, the only reason im skeptical on the LE package, is they dyno high, but i RARELY see them run what they should,
Wow, I didn’t know it was the head/cam guy’s job to make my car 60 foot better, make me shift better, make my local track prep better, and make the DA better. WTF, I got ripped off.
Old 02-13-2007, 05:35 PM
Banned

If the TFS heads are only 15 cfm better than a LE3 at peak, either the TFS heads suck, or Lloyd has his **** together(or both). But peak numbers hardly tell the whole story, what is the average flow difference on the two heads, I would really like to see that. And 15 cfm with all else being equal equates to between 30 and 40 hp.Or so the general rules say. At the max end of things 15 cfm is alot.

If the TFS flow 306@.600 I feel kinda bad about what I got.

What is the big deal with cutting the TFS? Not like it's a whole lotta money in the big scheme of things.

The LE 1,2,3 are well thought out no brainer packages. And make good power...but the ported TFS with a custom grind should easily make more power. All else being equal.

David
Old 02-13-2007, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
If the TFS heads are only 15 cfm better than a LE3 at peak, either the TFS heads suck, or Lloyd has his **** together(or both). But peak numbers hardly tell the whole story, what is the average flow difference on the two heads, I would really like to see that. And 15 cfm with all else being equal equates to between 30 and 40 hp.Or so the general rules say. At the max end of things 15 cfm is alot.

If the TFS flow 306@.600 I feel kinda bad about what I got.

What is the big deal with cutting the TFS? Not like it's a whole lotta money in the big scheme of things.

The LE 1,2,3 are well thought out no brainer packages. And make good power...but the ported TFS with a custom grind should easily make more power. All else being equal.

David

thats the problem tho, the LE3 would have higher compression, so everything is not equal

Quick Reply: question about heads/cam to finish 383, and DCR