LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

questions about weight reduction

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 11:07 PM

questions about weight reduction

okay...
currently my engine has to come out of my car. I want to check the internals since I was stupid and didnt do it after I bought a used short block. yeah yeah I know someone hit me really hard.
Since I had the car running with the 383 since the very end of july the A/C was never charged. I NEVER missed the A/C since it doesnt get insanely hot here and I always have the T-tops to take off. I also cant imagine what terrible mileage i would get with it on. Im thinking about deleting it when I do the engine rebuild.
next, my power steering pump wasnt working correctly. it would cut out at low speeds all the time. since it doesnt work, I dont feel like fixing it, and im already used to driving with it not working, I want to delete it as well.
I also figured that in the midst of all this I could relocate the alternator to be able to use real valve covers should the need ever arise.

couple 'a questions:
how old will it get running 275 wide front tires with heavy wheels without power steering? im not sure if the PS was offering any mechanical advantage before at low speeds. I also want to get rid of these wheels/tires and get skinnies for the front. I supposed this will help some, no?

what will I need to do the A/C delete and PS delete?

roughly what kinda weight drop am I looking at off the front end?

anything else I should do while under there? I still have the emissions equipment but I need that stuff to pass visual inspection...

thanks

Last edited by Zigroid; 01-24-2006 at 11:12 PM.
Old 01-24-2006, 11:35 PM

Re: questions about weight reduction

A low mount alternator relocation bracket is all you will need. Well with the accompanying belt and hardware, but its real simple and eliminates the big bracket bolted to the front of the block.
I am getting ready to do this soon as well.
I would guess you might take 20 lbs off the front of the engine (thats just the bracket and PS pump and resevoir, my AC is long gone already) but it could be less.
Daily driving a 275 tire might get old, I would run skinnies all the time if your going to ditch the power steering. Its a hardcore drag racer move anyway.
Old 01-25-2006, 01:49 AM

You might want to think about getting a manual rack also, it helps. The gear ratio is different and makes it easier to turn.
Old 01-25-2006, 06:45 AM

I did the same thing that you are thinking about. The weight savings are pretty good, the PS pump/pulley weighs like 15lbs I believe. I didn't buy any kit, I had a spare accesory bracket laying around that I cut up to mount the alternator at the bottom. Now I just have the crank pulley, and the alternator. Its a good idea to use a manual rack, for the reasons stated as well as your regular rack will get ruined over time like this. What I did was reuse the stock rack for now, and reuese the one line to go to the PS resevoir, and the other I modified to go to the resevoir. Everybody that has done this said not to cap off the rack, to put a "loop" in it. The reason being is it will be easier to turn with fluid in it and the ability for it to move around.

Make sure you want to go this route with your car before you do that. Yes 275's up front on heavy wheels will get old with no power steering, however with skinnies its not to bad.
Old 01-25-2006, 10:20 AM

I tried using the car as a daily driver. it was fun but expensive. Now that I commute 40+ miles a day and not 5 miles a day it would be completely impractical. so now that its not a daily driver any more, I figured I might as well take out some of the ammenities of being a daily driver.

I parallel parked my car on a hill without the power steering pump working so I think I would be fine with the 275s until I get some skinnies on the front.

Make sure you want to go this route with your car before you do that.
Im not sure about anything lol. I figured that if I didnt like what I did enough, I can always put it back since I won't be selling any of the components.

another question:
what do skinnies "feel" like on the front? I absolutely hate it when the 275s follow grooves and ruts, do the skinnies eliminate some of this?
Old 01-25-2006, 05:06 PM

Yeah skinies will eliminate the tires following the grooves real bad, but forget about doing any really evasive driving, or stopping in a hurry. They totally chang e the way you have to drive.
Old 01-25-2006, 06:58 PM

I never thought about how it would effect the brakes. they don't work too well as it is and I dont want to make them any worse. thank you for bringing that up.
Maybe I'll look at just deleting the A/C and relocating the alternator there.