LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Questions for guys who have done headers before.

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2005, 10:34 PM

Questions for guys who have done headers before.

I'm in the middle of putting Pacesetter LT's on my car, and I have the exhaust manifold's out. But I can not, for the life of me get the air tubes out of both, and the O2 sensor. I sprayed them with some WD-40, and they're soaking right now. Any tips on how to get those guys out? I'm having a great time at it so far, everything is going great ( didn't snap any bolts in the head... ). I had a couple questions though.

- If I pull out the water temp. sensor, coolant will pour out right? I haven't drained any coolant. I've searched installing headers and I've read some posts of people suggesting to do this.
- My headers came with bolts (Pacesetter supplied them), should I use those? But if I do, should I use one of the old ones for the alt. brace?
- I have the 2 11mm bolts out of the steering wheel shaft to the rack and pinion, but having a hard time pulling it out. Should I just give it hell, or am I doing something wrong?
- I need to install the headers from above. I have heard you can with the PS's. Should I install the driver side, lower the engine ( both mount bolts are out ), throw in that side bolt, raise it so its tilting, and then try the pass. side? Will that work?

I think thats all the questions I have for now! Thanks for any help! =)
Old 07-16-2005, 10:50 PM

Re: Questions for guys who have done headers before.

Dude, ditch the WD-40 and soak them with PB Blaster.
Old 07-16-2005, 11:21 PM

yeah get the PB Blaster.
Mine came loose pretty easy with that stuff.
Old 07-16-2005, 11:33 PM

cut'em off and ditch the AIR system
Old 07-17-2005, 12:05 AM

If you pull the sensor collant will come out.

Most people recommend a 12 point header bolt, although I'm sure the ones pacesetter supplies will be fine.

Not sure.

Might work, try removing the valve covers too.

Also for the AIR and O2's I ditched my AIR and got new O2's, so I can't really recommend anything for that.

PM me if you need more help.
Old 07-17-2005, 12:08 AM

I used a 2 foot long crescent wrench to remove my 02's and I ditched my air system.
Old 07-17-2005, 12:11 AM

I went to AutoZone, bought like 4 or 5 wrenches that looked the correct size, tried till one worked, and then returned them all. Just keep the Great Neck tag on and they have no problem. Get creative with how you hold the manifold down - it may require pain.
Old 07-17-2005, 12:35 AM

If you are talking about unplugging the coolant temp sensor from its harness, you'll be fine, no coolant will come out. PB Blaster is the only way to remove air and O2's. I had a hell of a time with my air fittings, make sure you get some Blaster on the side of the steel tube where the threaded compression fitting is located against the manifold, it has to spin on the tube, and is probably fused with it. If you try to remove it without breaking this loose, you'll bend the air tube to hell. Just spray it down until everything moves freely. I used Breslin bolts, and they are wonderful. I highly recommend them. If you're planning on reusing the old O2's, be careful. If you soak them down with penetrating oil, they could become contaminated and die on you when you put them back in. Also, if your headers are coated, I've heard the coating can foul the O2's. Mine went bad, and I'm not sure if it was due to penetrating oil on the sensor or coating burning off. Just be careful.
Old 07-17-2005, 02:38 PM

Thanks for so many replies! I'm going to go try the PBlaster right now, my bro has some. Crossing my fingers!

BTW I'm bought the headers with air/egr fittings, so I'd like to keep em.
Old 07-17-2005, 11:11 PM

I never was able to get the fitting out of the manifold, I ended up having to buy a new one. Good luck.
Old 07-18-2005, 12:39 AM

i bought umi's egr blockoff plates and i have longtubes without emissions bungs, if you need the one from the manifold i can send it your way if you wanna get rid of the egr system, just pm me if you want it, and i installed my pacesetters from beneath without unbolting the motor, i just had to remove the steering shaft/spark plugs/temp sensor/oil level sensor, the driver side was hard to get in, passenger wasn't too bad. But my boss at work let me borrow the shop for saturday so a lift and power tools were very nice
Old 07-19-2005, 11:27 PM

Alrighty, got them in SUPER easy. I had a happy hooker hooked up, took one mount mount bolt, raised it. It tilted the engine a little, slid RIGHT in. Did that with both sides, these headers fit so well! But I do have a problem, I tried getting the air tube in the driver side, and it took some serious force to get it maybe 3 complete turns, so I removed it. Should I tap those threads in the headers, or just remove the air? I know I won't need it, I won't be having a cat anymore . How does one go about removing air though? Just buy a bolt the right size and put it in the header? What to do with the rest of the air system? I'm so damn close to getting this done!
Old 07-20-2005, 02:55 AM

You need to buy some fittings to plug the the bungs on your headers. You need to remove the pump. If you dont want a ugly tube sticking up you can cut it in sections and pull it out. It is a real pain to get cause it is wraped around the front of the motor, but doable. good luck
Old 07-20-2005, 09:26 AM

What thread size are those on the headers,so I can just go to the hardware store after work for something to plug em up!
Old 07-20-2005, 11:31 AM

M22 for my 94 and it is dificult to find them . I got mine from Napa and they had to order them.

Quick Reply: Questions for guys who have done headers before.