LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Quick ? on installing SFC's...help

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2005, 09:10 PM

Quick ? on installing SFC's...help

I hope I can get some ideas from some of you on installing weld in subframe connectors. I have a set of bmr sfc's and wanted to get them installed this weekend.

The fuel lines look like they would be in the way, or too close to the welding for the driver's side front. I have never heard of anyone removing/disonnecting them, but maybe foil or a damp cloth being put around them. What did you all do?

Also, we have a lift (arms), but it isn't a drive on lift Is there any tips or tricks to getting the car to have loaded suspension while we tack weld them in place?

This looks like such an easy mod, but there seems to be some complications here and there, and big safety issues. I almost wish they were bolt-ons.

I did a search, but I couldn't find the answers I needed. I know the link to bmr site, but I am looking for more detail, and to talk to some of you that have already done this, it is a 95 Z.

I also apologize if this is in the wrong forum! But I really need to figure this out before the weekend.

Thanks
Old 03-30-2005, 10:05 PM

Re: Quick ? on installing SFC's...help

You need to be on an alignment rack if thats how you want to do it. You can put it on jackstands too. WATCH OUT FOR THE FUEL LINES!!! I would dissconnect them and move them if I had the chance again, the guy that welded my frames in lit the car on fire since he melted the lines...talk about never ending with a full tank of gas fueling it.
Old 03-30-2005, 10:15 PM

On my car i just held a 1/4 thick plate of scrap metal in between the fuel lines and where i was welding to protect it. I also just stitch welded it to reduce heat in the area then kept coming back and welding some more until i was done.
Old 03-30-2005, 10:43 PM

i did mine on an arm lift without the suspension loaded and their fine.the only minor problem i had was the fountain of fire that poured from the fuel lines when they were burnt through my boss thought he could get away without using a protective shield for the lines and one of the lines was resting on the sfc which got to hot and burnt a hole through the line causing a fountain of fire all over the place.was pretty funny since it was my boss screaming likea girl.haha.
ended up replacing the lines from that point and run to the motor,for only 20 bucks,so it wasnt too bad but yet def use a shield to protect those lines
Old 03-30-2005, 11:16 PM

We wrapped the fuel lines with aluminum foil and welded away.
Old 03-31-2005, 06:48 AM

LOL I took mine to a place and they also set my car on fire. They were really fast with the extinguishers theough so no harm done. (except for the fact that I needed new fuel lines. Definitely put a piece of scrap metal between the lines and the sfc. They did that the second time and it went fine.
Wonder how many of us had their car on fire cause of this.
Old 03-31-2005, 07:21 AM

Well, that is encouraging about the fuel lines

What if the fuel lines were stainless braided hose? Would that make it less of a threat?

I am guessing to wrap these in foil AND use a scrap piece of metal. Those fire stories suck! Seems like they would start making those in a way where that situation could be avoided.

And it says nothing about caution w/ the fuel lines in any of the directions I saw.
Old 03-31-2005, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by ledfootz28
i did mine on an arm lift without the suspension loaded and their fine.the only minor problem i had was the fountain of fire that poured from the fuel lines when they were burnt through my boss thought he could get away without using a protective shield for the lines and one of the lines was resting on the sfc which got to hot and burnt a hole through the line causing a fountain of fire all over the place.was pretty funny since it was my boss screaming likea girl.haha.
ended up replacing the lines from that point and run to the motor,for only 20 bucks,so it wasnt too bad but yet def use a shield to protect those lines

Has anyone else did this on an arm lift? How did your car not get binded up?
I am kinda afraid to try that b/c the directions make such a big deal about the suspension being loaded.

What if the rear pieces were bolted in, but not welded? What would happen?
Is it possible to put a hole in the front piece and just make them bolt on? These fire stories are insane.
Old 03-31-2005, 07:31 AM

Just weld them in, the bolts will probly work thier way loose from all the twisting.
Old 03-31-2005, 08:02 AM

Well, the idea of not being able to remove them, has been a thought since last night.

Thanks!
Old 03-31-2005, 08:47 AM

Why would you want to remove them? I'm actually doing a SFC install on my TA this weekend also. Good thing i saw this cause yeah it doesn't say anything about the fuel lines in the directions. so what the amount of time most people spend on this install? pretty easy?
Old 03-31-2005, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by britts85
Why would you want to remove them? I'm actually doing a SFC install on my TA this weekend also. Good thing i saw this cause yeah it doesn't say anything about the fuel lines in the directions. so what the amount of time most people spend on this install? pretty easy?
B/c of some issues w/ stainless braided fuel hoses, and AN fittings. They just may create a few issues down the road.

That is insane about the fuel lines.