LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Quick question reguarding the CTS

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 10:26 AM

Quick question reguarding the CTS

Just bought a replacement coolant temperature sensor since my old one was broken. What would be the easiest/safest route for replacing it? I want to drain as little coolant as possible, and just get it done. Any quick tips?
Old 11-06-2009, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by d2stephen
Just bought a replacement coolant temperature sensor since my old one was broken. What would be the easiest/safest route for replacing it? I want to drain as little coolant as possible, and just get it done. Any quick tips?
Which temp sensor are you replacing, the one for the cylinder head or the water pump? If you're replacing the one for the cylinder head just prep the new one with thread sealant, remove the old one quickly and install the new one. Sure you'll lose some coolant but hey, it's easy. It'll be messy but quick.

The one on the water pump is a different story though. You can use the same method to replace this one too, but be aware that your optispark lurks underneath. I suppose if you are careful you can do it, but you might want to drain the pump first and/or protect the opti.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
Which temp sensor are you replacing, the one for the cylinder head or the water pump? If you're replacing the one for the cylinder head just prep the new one with thread sealant, remove the old one quickly and install the new one. Sure you'll lose some coolant but hey, it's easy. It'll be messy but quick.

The one on the water pump is a different story though. You can use the same method to replace this one too, but be aware that your optispark lurks underneath. I suppose if you are careful you can do it, but you might want to drain the pump first and/or protect the opti.
Thanks for the quick response, I'll be replacing the one on the water pump, I've spent quite a bit of time with the water pump, others might remember the threads I posted about it.

Basically, I should just drain everything, and do it the right way, Was hoping there was a quick way to do this. haha.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:38 AM

Thanks for the quick response, I'll be replacing the one on the water pump, I've spent quite a bit of time with the water pump, others might remember the threads I posted about it.

Basically, I should just drain everything, and do it the right way, Was hoping there was a quick way to do this. haha.
Like I said, you can do it in 5 minutes if you're careful.

Keep in mind that even when you drain the radiator, you'll still get a little bit of coolant out of the sensor fitting when you remove it. Just protect the optispark and you'll be fine.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
Like I said, you can do it in 5 minutes if you're careful.

Keep in mind that even when you drain the radiator, you'll still get a little bit of coolant out of the sensor fitting when you remove it. Just protect the optispark and you'll be fine.
Yeah, I guess i'll throw a shirt or something in front of the opti to make sure nothing gets on it. If I just took the sensor out, coolant would start flowing out pretty good huh? Should I just do that, and drain it that way, or pull one of the lower radiator hoses and drain it that way?
Old 11-06-2009, 10:44 AM

Yeah, I guess i'll throw a shirt or something in front of the opti to make sure nothing gets on it. If I just took the sensor out, coolant would start flowing out pretty good huh? Should I just do that, and drain it that way, or pull one of the lower radiator hoses and drain it that way?

It's up to you really. If it were me though, I'd drain it at least halfway.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:46 AM

You won't get any coolant on the opti when changing the coolant sensor. It's low and on the front of the pump...lost coolant will just drip straight down. I've changed this sensor twice (two different cars) and never had any get on the opti nor had any opti problems afterward.....
Old 11-06-2009, 11:33 AM

Just replaced it, now the cars not wanting to stay running. Going to have to replace the male end of the connector now, it was messed up from previous owner trying to rig it with JBweld and Gorilla Glue.