LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

quicky walboro255 fuel pump question..

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2004, 03:20 AM

EDIT, you replied at the same time as i, disregard
Old 04-28-2004, 03:29 AM

Originally posted by Racetronix
... and people have gone 150MPH+ on H rated tires... your point is?

Unless you check your work on the bench you will never know how much air the pump is sucking due to an improper seal in the bottom of the bucket. The factory hardware can not be used to make a perfect seal. The hanger is not designed to reliably hold the bucket together. It must be bonded. The factory terminals are generally corroded and in some cases the pump connector is burnt. Using the generic Walbro to GM adapter only adds to your problems.
My point is, it can, and has worked. Really a simple point to grasp.

Last edited by 97bowtie; 04-28-2004 at 03:42 AM.
Old 04-28-2004, 03:37 AM

what i was thinking was how about using a ziptie around the bucket (and a silicone that can with stand gasoline) to hold the cap in place instead of a 'glue' and modifying the bucket hole so it pops/seals into the bottom?
Old 04-28-2004, 04:10 AM

Originally posted by simple
what i was thinking was how about using a ziptie around the bucket (and a silicone that can with stand gasoline) to hold the cap in place instead of a 'glue' and modifying the bucket hole so it pops/seals into the bottom?
Silicone does not put up with gas period. You can use a commercial grade of cyanoacrylate glue.

A gasket or o-ring is required to make a seal in a smooth bore just as rings do in your piston bores.
If you start to carve up the molded plastic inlet you will remove any possibility of an air-tight seal with a gasket / o-ring.
Old 04-28-2004, 06:05 AM

ok this post is confusing the hell out of me....

guys, maybe i am just being naive, but i would assume that a LOT of people running walboro 255's for example simply dropped it into the canister and hooked it back up, no problem.

i understand that this may not be the "best" thing to do, but honestly, is it as bad as racetronix is making it out to seem?? i am just really confused/frustrated now as to why all of a sudden i should expect this pump to fail...

-BRIAN

oh and this is not a flame towards racetronix, i simply am inquiring about the truth behind a correct fuel pump install, and now that i have the walboro what i can do to make it still work.
Old 04-28-2004, 12:11 PM

Originally posted by SLeePer350
ok this post is confusing the hell out of me....

guys, maybe i am just being naive, but i would assume that a LOT of people running walboro 255's for example simply dropped it into the canister and hooked it back up, no problem.

i understand that this may not be the "best" thing to do, but honestly, is it as bad as racetronix is making it out to seem?? i am just really confused/frustrated now as to why all of a sudden i should expect this pump to fail...

-BRIAN

oh and this is not a flame towards racetronix, i simply am inquiring about the truth behind a correct fuel pump install, and now that i have the walboro what i can do to make it still work.
Most people discarded the bucket until we started making it known as how important its function was.
Old 08-06-2004, 10:00 PM

Re: quicky walboro255 fuel pump question..

Well if the bucket is removed what do you do with the vent in the bucket?
Old 08-06-2004, 10:59 PM
Advanced Member

hmmm this sounds like fun.....

Well see tommorow... I'm sure the bucket can be modified... just takes patience and the right tools ... like anything else... that and the right Expoxies from the Auto body store...
Old 08-07-2004, 03:34 PM

i tried to reuse the bucket but could not get it to work properly, the GSS340 that i bought would not "seat into" the bucket like the stock pump
and i tried modifying the bucket for it to work and everything (tried a few different ways a few different times but all it would do was use up the gas that was inside the bucket then the car would stall out

the pump was to big to sit down into the stock location to pull gas from the tank (just to wide all around)

i ended up just mounting the pump to the spine arm with the rubber seal out of the bucket to hold it to the arm and discarding the bucket
Old 08-07-2004, 08:22 PM
Advanced Member

Originally Posted by simple
i tried to reuse the bucket but could not get it to work properly, the GSS340 that i bought would not "seat into" the bucket like the stock pump
and i tried modifying the bucket for it to work and everything (tried a few different ways a few different times but all it would do was use up the gas that was inside the bucket then the car would stall out

the pump was to big to sit down into the stock location to pull gas from the tank (just to wide all around)

i ended up just mounting the pump to the spine arm with the rubber seal out of the bucket to hold it to the arm and discarding the bucket

THe GSS340 is a larger pump than the Walbro 255 right?
Old 08-07-2004, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Heatmaker
THe GSS340 is a larger pump than the Walbro 255 right?

the GSS340 is the Walbro 255, its just the part number for it
Old 08-07-2004, 08:38 PM
Advanced Member

wow...

that's lame... I got the Granatelli...

Same Walbro crap... I was able to get my pump to fit in just like stock though... I'm wondering ... after the glue dries can I test it with a Mitty Vac if I hook the pump up to one of the open lines? These things are to be air tight correct? So if it holds pressure then I have a good seal
Old 08-08-2004, 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by Heatmaker
wow...

that's lame... I got the Granatelli...

Same Walbro crap... I was able to get my pump to fit in just like stock though... I'm wondering ... after the glue dries can I test it with a Mitty Vac if I hook the pump up to one of the open lines? These things are to be air tight correct? So if it holds pressure then I have a good seal
The bucket is not liquid or air tight. It is designed to overflow when full.
Old 08-08-2004, 04:20 AM

What is the cannister for exactly? I installed my 255 almost three years ago and
I ditched the can and used hose clamps to hold the pump to the bracket.
I have not had a problem as of yet. Im not sure if it has anything to do with removing it but when I would get low on fuel with the can at an auto cross event the car would die out on hard accel or a hard corner. It stopped doin that
once I removed the can. It happened on multiple trips
Old 08-08-2004, 11:36 AM
Advanced Member

Originally Posted by Racetronix
The bucket is not liquid or air tight. It is designed to overflow when full.
Ah cool than!

So the real issue is just getting the top to seal on correctly?

Quick Reply: quicky walboro255 fuel pump question..