LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Quieting Cammed Car

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2005, 03:36 PM

Quieting Cammed Car

Hey, this may be a unusual question, but I am wondering how people are doing it. I have some AFR 195 that are going to be Further ported. Going to flow 29x CFM on the intake with a 2.05 intake valve. I am going to have Compcams Custom grind me a camshaft. This car is My daily driver and I don't want a Drag car souding cam BUT I DO WANT THE Drag CAR Power LOL. The exhaust I have now is LT's with a True dual setup with Bullets. say we went with a 23x/24x duration cam on a 111 LSA and right under .600 lift with 1.5 RR's Could I quiet this car down say with some more mufflers to make it sound very normal and streetable and then have my cutouts for the Track to have the drag car sound.

I want a modest streetable sound on the street and drag car sound at the track with cutouts open of course Do you think this is possible.

I plan on the getting the car dyno tuned by ed wright ( about 4.5hours away and hopefully achieve the power I am looking for along with 18-22 MPG. Do you think the MPG will be possible with a tune?

Thanks for any help
Old 02-02-2005, 03:38 PM

Re: Quieting Cammed Car

OOOO, BTW this is under my brothers Sign in NAME. OF COURSE I have the LT1, lol.
Old 02-02-2005, 03:56 PM

I did quite my car down. So far I got cone and glass pack muffler (both) and it actually works with my LT's, Borla, !Cat, and cc306. I don't like to brag about glass-packs , but they actually work much better than bullet mufflers.
You cannot even imagine what a new set of heated AC-Delco O2 sensors can do for your mileage. I am getting very good gas mileage, more than 20 mpg.
Old 02-02-2005, 04:11 PM

I have Ac delco O2's from Cromer, what do you mean by heated.

I have another question At WOT I have have heard that the bulluts flow almost like no muffler at all. Just under WOT it is Restrictive meaning less noise.
So heres my question say I have 4 bullets (2 on each side) and it is quiet just driving around, then at WOT is achieves the sound of a Drag car. Does that make any since. In essence 4 bullets will flow the same as 1 bullet at WOT.
Old 02-02-2005, 05:48 PM

makes sense to me... have you ever seen inside those bullet mufflers? its straight 3" flow right through them. no joke. no baffling no necking down no nothing its pretty much a straight through 3" muffler, and its 4" wide on the outside... that extra half an inch on each side is just fiberglass held back by mesh or something.
Old 02-02-2005, 06:00 PM

There will still be a lope no matter what you do...all you can do it put as many mufflers on there and bump the idle up to 1000 or more!
Old 02-02-2005, 07:04 PM

I am in the same boat as you. I am just planning on removing the rear section of my cat-back and putting the stock rear section back on. I also want to add some electric cutouts so I can bypass it at any time. I have a friend with a decent sized cam on an LS1 with longtubes, no cat, and the stock muffler. Sounds very quiet.
Old 02-02-2005, 07:37 PM
n2oblkz

It seems like it may be hard to make the car very quiet with true duals, You may want to switch back to a cat-back type exhaust if you want it that much more quiet. If you want to stay with true duals, a muffler like the Moroso Spiral Flow bullet muffler or a chambered bullet muffler may be better. As posted before, just bump your idle up to get rid of the lope.

Old 02-02-2005, 09:38 PM

so bumping the Idle up to a 1000 is a great idea, how much of the lope will there still be at that RPM, I am actually running a 2.5 True duel system. I think I will throw another muffler on each side maybe different than bullets.

I just don't want people looking at me funny when I go to my work place or to the Grocery store and my damn car sounds like a Drag Car, lol

Thanks for you guys help, anymore Ideas
Old 02-02-2005, 10:53 PM
n2oblkz

I have heard cammed cars that have the idle bumped up and it does make a difference, it really smooths the idle.

Old 02-02-2005, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by SS(WHITEY)
so bumping the Idle up to a 1000 is a great idea, how much of the lope will there still be at that RPM, I am actually running a 2.5 True duel system. I think I will throw another muffler on each side maybe different than bullets.

I just don't want people looking at me funny when I go to my work place or to the Grocery store and my damn car sounds like a Drag Car, lol

Thanks for you guys help, anymore Ideas
Isn't the funny looks you get from a loud car the fun part....hehe.
Old 02-02-2005, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by Jameslt1TA
Isn't the funny looks you get from a loud car the fun part....hehe.
Damn Right! You should see the looks I get when I run open headers.

As far as the mufflers go, I have true duals on mine w/ bullets on now. They are acutally more quiet than either the cheap glass packs or the Flowmaster 40's I had on before. I would think that 2 bullets on each side would do a lot to quiet it down, still probably wont be REALLY quiet though, but I would imagine that the combination of that and bumping up the idle would get you to a reasonable sound level.

Last edited by dover179; 02-02-2005 at 11:58 PM.
Old 02-02-2005, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by n2oblkz
I have heard cammed cars that have the idle bumped up and it does make a difference, it really smooths the idle.
Anyone who knows anything about engines is going to hear a big cam at any idle speed. Do you want to mask the cam, or just tone down the exhaust? Masking will be difficult, if not impossible, and toning down the exhaust will require re-thinking the exhaust system and living with some performance compromises from the true-dual set-up. High flow dual cats, through 3" piping and an SLP totl cat-back would be a mellow example that may help mask the cam a bit too.
Old 02-03-2005, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by SS MPSTR
Anyone who knows anything about engines is going to hear a big cam at any idle speed. Do you want to mask the cam, or just tone down the exhaust? Masking will be difficult, if not impossible, and toning down the exhaust will require re-thinking the exhaust system and living with some performance compromises from the true-dual set-up. High flow dual cats, through 3" piping and an SLP totl cat-back would be a mellow example that may help mask the cam a bit too.
I don't think he's worrying about the performance too much since he's considering the cutouts for the track, just making it a bit quieter . That's the impression I got anyways ( I could be wrong
Old 02-03-2005, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by dover179
I don't think he's worrying about the performance too much since he's considering the cutouts for the track, just making it a bit quieter . That's the impression I got anyways ( I could be wrong
I kinda thought that, but you can never be sure. There are guys in my small town that have loud exhaust and think they're 'racers', although my relatively quiet C5 will hand them their *** in a New York minute - they know the back of my cars better than most.

My point: he said he didn't want everyone thinking he was driving his race car to get groceries, and you can quiet the exhaust to some degree, but a big cam will always have that 'race car' sound, no matter what. My Chevelle has a big cam in a BBC, through some large tubing and some of the quietest large casing mufflers I could fit under the car, and there's no mistake it means business. It's not 'loud' for the sake of itself - it's nasty sounding because it is.

Quick Reply: Quieting Cammed Car