LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Radiator Baffle ...

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2003, 01:55 PM

Radiator Baffle ...

Radiator Baffle ...
some of you guys porlby know, i bought a totalled 95Z with quite a few boxes of parts that i had to sort through and figure out what went where ... Unfortunatly i stepped to hte back of the garage to check out my parts bin and i have this Radiator Baffle ... Do i need to put this on? Or is it another one of them useless things on a Fbody lol ??? I have a bad feeling the fans wouldnt pull in enough air if i dont put it on so i was wondering if anyone happened to know ... Also, where the hell does it go? I checked the part # with a dealer to see what it was, and i guess its possible that its not even for my car becuase i have a few other parts given to me with the car that aren mine ... lol headlights from a Civic was in the box of parts so ...
Old 08-13-2003, 01:58 PM

Baffle..do you mean the big plastic flap that hangs down underneath the car that scrapes on everything? If so, then yes, that helps direct air flow up to the radiator.

Im not sure what the baffle is though, but i know other ppl on this will prolly help you out.
Old 08-13-2003, 02:30 PM

No i dont thikn its what your talking about. I think you mean the big air spoiler that strethes across the entire length of the front of the car ... I still didnt put that on either tho lol... but at any ratethis thing is called a baffle for sure cause i caleld the dealer and gave them the part #, he said it goes by the radiator, and that the rad SHOULDNT have to be pulled out to do it ... he didnt know for sure tho , Its about 2 feet long and a foot and a half high .... I jsut tried to do a drawing using Text but when i posted it , it came out all weird and F'ed up looking so ill try again later ... But for now here is a desription ...

Sort of is shaped like a lowercase m, like flat across the top ... it is made out of black plastic, on the outer two sections ( I guess what would be the straight up and down lines on the m ) there is an indentation on both where fastener holds it on, and across the top there is a ledge where it hooks onto something ?

Last edited by HardcoreRM125; 08-13-2003 at 02:36 PM.
Old 08-13-2003, 03:10 PM

Originally posted by HardcoreRM125
No i dont thikn its what your talking about. I think you mean the big air spoiler that strethes across the entire length of the front of the car ... I still didnt put that on either tho lol... but at any ratethis thing is called a baffle for sure cause i caleld the dealer and gave them the part #, he said it goes by the radiator, and that the rad SHOULDNT have to be pulled out to do it ... he didnt know for sure tho , Its about 2 feet long and a foot and a half high .... I jsut tried to do a drawing using Text but when i posted it , it came out all weird and F'ed up looking so ill try again later ... But for now here is a desription ...

Sort of is shaped like a lowercase m, like flat across the top ... it is made out of black plastic, on the outer two sections ( I guess what would be the straight up and down lines on the m ) there is an indentation on both where fastener holds it on, and across the top there is a ledge where it hooks onto something ?
There is an upper and lower baffle. Sounds like you are describing the upper. It goes in front of the condenser and the two little "wing" parts attach to flanges on the condenser by a couple of Christmas tree fasteners. Two more of those fasteners attach it to the lower baffle in the middle. You have to wrestle it a bit to get it in there.

It really needs to be there. It directs the air fed from the bottom of the car, up and into the radiator. If it is not there, some efficiency will be lost by air escaping under the hood.

Last edited by shoebox; 08-13-2003 at 03:13 PM.
Old 08-13-2003, 03:11 PM

Cool

From what your describing, it's the piece that goes against the bottom of the front fascia as it curves up into the radiator. This prevents air from funneling over the radiator.
These pics should help
One view Another view Closeup

-Shannon

EDIT : I'm thinking it's the bottom one Rob. Either way, he has pics of both
Old 08-13-2003, 03:22 PM

Yup. I noticed something like that ( (2) pieces) when I got my car back from the mech (new shortblock) I need to connect the 2 together since the mech.didn't even bother to line them up so the holes matched.

I'm guessing that I will have to remove the radiator top holddown to align these things and maybe a push plug to hold them together.

Any tips will be welcome.
Old 08-13-2003, 10:05 PM

Hmmm ... Not good ... lol anyone know what all is involved in putting it in ? I already have the nose back on the car ... and i really CANT take it out , its such a bitch to put on ... Especially by yourself. Can i get it in without having to take out the rad or condensor ???
Old 08-13-2003, 10:14 PM

Hmmm ... Not good ... lol anyone know what all is involved in putting it in ? I already have the nose back on the car ... and i really CANT take it out , its such a bitch to put on ... Especially by yourself. Can i get it in without having to take out the rad or condensor ???
Do you have the lower baffle in? I removed and reinstalled the uppper without taking the radiator or condenser out. It is just a matter of wrestling it in there.
Old 08-13-2003, 10:48 PM

Ok thanks , and what about the bottom ? I have the nose on , but none of the plastic UNDER the car ... i guess its the spoiler ? I donno what its called lol , i feel so retarded I know it , but jsut cant think or it , and keep wanting to say spoiler maybe i'm right ?
Old 08-13-2003, 11:05 PM

Shoebox, i finally got the picture you sent a link as to load, That is the part i tried describing lol ... I guess thats the upper ? ... So that leads to my next problem , what does the lower look like , anyone have a good picture ? It was hard to see in the other 3 ... Is the bottom one connected to the bottom spoiler thingy that occasionaly scrapes the ground ? lol
Old 08-13-2003, 11:45 PM

Shoebox, i finally got the picture you sent a link as to load, That is the part i tried describing lol ... I guess thats the upper ? ... So that leads to my next problem , what does the lower look like , anyone have a good picture ? It was hard to see in the other 3 ... Is the bottom one connected to the bottom spoiler thingy that occasionaly scrapes the ground ? lol
Radiator mounting

The lower baffle (#17) is held on by some push pins and one bolt on each on the side for the outer fascia deflector panels (#10). Upper baffle is #22.

Last edited by shoebox; 08-13-2003 at 11:48 PM.
Old 08-14-2003, 01:39 PM

Ok thanks, Looks like i actually do have everything, its sjut that some of it was bolted together, the outer fascia to the lower baffle ... I was going to put all that stuff on as soon as i get my retarded oil cooler adapter to quit leaking ... Thanks again , seems like everytime i come up with sumthing i didnt know what it was or where it went , you knew even though i give pretty bad descriptions lol ...