LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

really crazy TPS/TPP problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 05:03 PM

really crazy TPS/TPP problem

Alright, the other thread was becoming a mess and had information scattered all around, and the original issue is fixed, so I am creating a new thread to help make things clear....

Basically no matter what my TPS voltage is, my TPP is greater then 0%

TPS specs state anywhere between .2v and .9v is good and the ECM will baseline that as zero percent throttle.

Mine is not doing that. Anything greater then a TPS of .03v and it gives me a TPP of 1% or greater. Yes, with the TPS voltage that low it sets DTC 22 for being too low. Right now I have it set to .43v and the TPP is 7or 8 percent.

here are a few scans from yesterday:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y2/...tuff/first.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y2/...0stuff/sec.jpg

here is my latest scan, you can see at the beginning where my rpm is 25 that I haven't started the car. TPS stays constant accross the scan, as does TPP. TPP shows 8% Notice the RPM and IAC.....the car is not trying to idle at all.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y2/...0stuff/gah.jpg

Things I have done to try and fix it:

Tried a new TPS -> no change

Checked all the wires to the TPS, black is a good ground, gray has a good 5v, blue is the sense and corresponds to what the TPS shows on the scans.....

the TPS is slotted, and I can move it all around.....as I have said, the only way to get a 0% TPP is to move the TPS all the way to almost zero, .03 volts, which sets a DTC 22

I pulled the cables off the battery and pulled the ECM BATT fuse to wipe the ecm, no change.

Pulled the PCMForless tuned chip out of the ecm, no change

moved the wires around on the TPS, only fubard it worse, read a constant 5v....

running out of ideas here........

Last edited by thebufenator; 02-07-2008 at 10:09 PM.
Old 02-08-2008, 11:32 AM

any idea's anyone?
I am gonna try and find a different 5v source and see if maybe it is slow to build voltage there.......
Old 02-09-2008, 01:08 PM

it would be really cool if someone had an idea.....
Kinda at my wits end
Old 02-09-2008, 03:18 PM

Couple things I noticed in your scans are the MAP and BARO are they listed in volts? If they are then you've got a problem there. The other thing being the IAC counts are maxed out and even when the counts go down the rpm stays the same so is the IAC motor even working? What are you using to get these scans?
Old 02-09-2008, 04:28 PM

no thats not volts....

yeah the engine has a lumpy cam, the idle jumps around, so the IAC needs to move alot to get a different reading on the scan.

I am using freescan
Old 02-09-2008, 04:36 PM

If you moved your wires around and it made it worse,it sounds like you might have some bad wiring in some way or another ,bad connections,bad wire insulation somewhere? It's an idea.
Old 02-09-2008, 09:11 PM

I meant I had physically swapped the wires on the plug.
Old 02-09-2008, 09:31 PM
Administrator

EXACTLY how are you doing the install of the TPS? Are you sure you are acurately indexing the hole in the sensor rotating element to the flats on the throttle shaft?

Have you tried adjusting the closed throttle voltage to 0.67V with the key on (making sure the blades are tight against the stop), turning the key off, and then clearing the PCM using the PCM BAT fuse? Start the engine, using Shoebox's procedure for "setting" the IAC.

http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html#iac_reset

That should get everything in synch. Then start the engine and read the PCM for TPS and TPP. Do not fiddle with the TPS to do any more adjustment, and do not try and set it to 0.03V to get 0% TPP. Leave it alone and see what happens.

As I recall, you have posted screen shots from Freescan. Have you ever done a full data log? Maybe you did, and maybe you even sent me one, but I don't remember it if you did.
Old 02-10-2008, 10:59 AM

I give that procedure a go, but I am not sure it will change anything....
I did the same thing with .50v, still didn't baseline anything.

Are there specific PCM grounds that could be causing this? I have checked a few, so far they are all good, are there any really really important ones that I should check?

The scans above are full datalogs from freescan. The next time I go to the car I will record a longer length