LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Really Really bad miss!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2005, 06:12 PM

Really Really bad miss! (pics inside)

I don't know what's up with my car latley...it started doing it before the cam install and now it's doing it even worse! I replace the coil and ICM tonight and it seems to be doing it worse now! The last time i got gas i got it at Wal-Mart...could this have anything to do with it since i am running pretty low on gas now (under half a tank). The car just falls on it's face at like 5,500 rpms and will not rev any higher...it's like it's got a studder box on it or something! The rev limiter is set at 6250 but it's doing it way before then! And every now and then it will be fine and rev all the way to the rev limiter w/o any problem and other times it does it just a little bit and then now it's just going retarted!Any insight would be great!

I just went out side and noticed a arcing coming from around where the coil wire is...turns out this i where it's arcing...between the metal and black plastic ****...why would it be doing this!?!?

Last edited by TransAmGT; 01-10-2005 at 06:34 PM.
Old 01-10-2005, 07:46 PM

Re: Really Really bad miss!

That "arcing" you're seeing is coronal discharge and is normal. You may also see it at the spark plugs around the porcelain insulator. It shouldn't have anything to do with the high rpm problem espically it it's a new coil. The problem is likely the opti.
Old 01-10-2005, 09:44 PM

I don't think it's the opti...every bad opti i've encountered with my or my friends car (about 10 bad opti's) have been through the entire the rpm range...i'm hoping it's just bad gas?!!? I'm gonna run some water remover and injector cleaner through there tomorrow. And if that doesn't work i might run a gallon or two of C16 through there and maybe that will fix it?!

Last edited by TransAmGT; 01-10-2005 at 10:11 PM.
Old 01-11-2005, 03:25 PM

It seems to be getting worse and worse...i put some fuel treatment stuff in there this afternoon and still doing the same thing...I even tried taking it up to 5,500 rpms slowly (3/4 throttle) and it's fine as long as it's not WOT...as soon as i hit it it starts spuddering again! I can get a video of what it's doing if that will help anyone! I dunno what to do, someone please help!

I was also looking at the injector flow rate on my new tune versus a stock tune and the stock tune was 24.9lb/hr and the new tune (the one on the car) is 25.4 lb/hr could this have anything to do with it acting the way it is?!

Last edited by TransAmGT; 01-11-2005 at 03:43 PM.
Old 01-12-2005, 10:40 PM

Well i'm taking the coil and ICM back since it didn't help it at all...when i change the oil tomorrow i'm gonna check the plugs and wire to make sure it's not a burnt wire or loose plug! Then i'm gonna put a stock tune back on there and see if that helps...the only weird this is i can take it up to 5,500 at 90% throttle and it's fine but as soon as i hit WOT it goes to ****...please someone help me...and don't tell me it's the opti!
Old 01-13-2005, 09:17 PM

I don't see aftermarket lifters in your signature. If you had a high RPM drop in power before you put a new cam in, and worse after you put a new cam in, I would have to bet on the lifters. Especially when your car is a 94 and probably has a lot of miles on it. When I put a new cam and rockers on my 94 Z28 the guy at Comb. M. asked how many miles I had and said I should really put new lifters in it too. He said old lifters tend to cause high RPM fizzle in power and that a lot of guys run into this problem and don't know what the problem is. Squishy old lifters.
Old 01-14-2005, 12:39 AM

hmmm...that's weird....i dunno what's up with it man...i ran fine tonight...all the way up to 6200 rpms...my motor is posesed!
Old 01-14-2005, 01:45 AM

Must'a been gas, then.
Old 01-16-2005, 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by sharpe
Must'a been gas, then.
That's and my injectors are at 118% duty cycle..lol...tuned it out a little yesterday and it helped alot...gues it's time for new injectors!
Old 01-16-2005, 10:40 AM

My formula, though pretty much all stock, did the same thing for a couple of weeks. I'm pretty sure it turned out to be bad gas. I have been taking notice since then. I can get gas at a couple of stations around here and the car will already be acting up by the time I pull out of the parking lot.

It did it off and on for a while, but it's acting ok now. Hope your tune helped yours out.