LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Rear main? Or Intake manifold leak....

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2003, 07:47 AM

Rear main? Or Intake manifold leak....

What are the typical characteristics of each?

I have a leak coming from the back of the motor somewhere. I pulled my transmission inspection cover and found a little bit of oil inside that, and the oil that leaks is coming from the hole of that plate, IE, the oil collects in there, then drips out.

I checked the back of my intake manifold and it appears dry, my firewall has no oil splash either. When I did the cam install we use a rope bead of copper RTV and the back of the block in that area is greasy as any car would be, but there's no oil dripping that I can tell.

The leak isn't too bad, a small puddle after sitting for a week. I couldn't really tell very well with the converter in the way if the leak is from the rear main. It's no biggie if it's the rear main as I'm pulling the tranny in a few months to up the stall.

Thoughts?
Old 12-01-2003, 08:07 AM
RMC

I was in similar situation not too long ago. I swore it was the rear main. All the oil seemed to be only in that area and when I reached around to check the manifold I couldn't find wet spots.

I replaced the rear main while doing a clutch install and it didn't hurt to replace the rear main because it was obviously aged but that wasn't the leak.

It ended up being the intake. If it leaks down in the corner and runs down the seam of the head it's real hard to tell that's where it's coming from. I had to really reach back there to find it for sure and there won't be splash or anything it will just run down the edge of the block.

Now, if you've pulled the intake at all recently for your cam then that's probably where the leak is.
Old 12-01-2003, 09:02 AM

Well that would suck... if that's the case I'll probably just deal with the leak for a while. Not really in the mood to pull that intake again

I think when I pull the tranny anyways I'll change out the rear main seal.
Old 12-01-2003, 09:11 AM

Well bud, its one of those "deal with it" things. Either you just do or fix it. I just finished my motor and got a leak from the opti seal I think. After doing all the work, P&P'n my heads and everything, I don't exactly wanna go back in there for a lil while. But I know, sooner or later I am just because I don't like leaks.