LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Rebuilding an LT1... some questions inside...

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 07:54 AM

Rebuilding an LT1... some questions inside...

Ok, so after having 2 different engines built (1 in my camaro, and one in my honda) and both taking a **** because they wernt built right... Ive had enough.

Ive decided to just do this myself. The block has been machined, I just have to assemble and install it.

The engine will make around 450-500 rwhp, and Im going to be spraying it with a 200 shot.

First off, does anyone thing I should NOT take this task on? I have bought a book on how to rebuild the LT1/LT4 engine, which has step by step instructions... so I think it will be half way easy.

Second... which tools should I probably go ahead and round up before hand, that might not be so obvious... any special tools other then torque wrenches?

Any advise for a guy walking into his first engine build?
Old 12-21-2007, 08:39 AM

From the questions you are asking I would strongly discourage you from doing this.

It is extrememly unlikely a newbie will manage to sucessfully put together a 450rwhp+ motor, that is a big number you are unlikely to hit anyway.

Machining is a huge part of any engine build, just because the block has been machined does not mean it was done right.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:18 AM

The machine work was done right... I can guarantee that. This shop has put out thousands of engines... and I can guarantee everything has been machined correctly... and the rings were gapped properly... I have no doubt in that... its just a matter of building it now.

What do I have to lose? Hell, the first person wrecked a $14,000 engine because he did it wrong, and I had to spend over $3,000 fixing that (which is this engine im looking at doing myself... but I have about $3,000 in getting to this point with removing the engine, tearing it down, remachining the block, 8 new pistons, ect.).

The second overlooked a TON of minor things... and the harmonic balancer (96 Honda Civic, stock rebuild @ 250K miles... all new parts however) fell the **** off the car because he never put the bolt in... and the bottom end is toast... and has to come back out.

I can sure as hell not overlook stupid **** like that... so im going to do it myself... Im tired of shops not standing behind their work... and there arent any around here that will... they place blame on someone else... so if I do it, I have no one to blame but myself.

Last edited by 30AnvZ28; 12-21-2007 at 09:20 AM.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
that is a big number you are unlikely to hit anyway.

Side bet?

The first time it was in the car it ran for 3 miles...

Im willing to wager whatever you want to put up on that side bet...
Old 12-21-2007, 09:38 AM

I used that LT1 rebuild book and built my first engine ever which was an LT1 from a bare block up and it ran like a champ when I was done. I had a shop full of tools at my convience which was great. We actually did 2 engines exactly the same..we put one in an rx7 and then mine in my thirdgen, so it can be done. Just triple check everything since it's your first build...thats what I did.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:42 AM

What book are you talking about exactly?
Old 12-21-2007, 09:46 AM

The "How to rebuild an LT1/LT4" book.

Thats the way I see it... if I do it, I know if its done, and I can make sure to double check everything.

Im tired of wasting money, giving it to shops to dick me over... those days are over... I bought an engine stand last night, and I have all the tools in the world (I own a shop working on boats) so I will only need special tools, and a gauge.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by 30AnvZ28
The "How to rebuild an LT1/LT4" book.
Thanks,
Old 12-21-2007, 10:04 AM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LT1-L...spagenameZWD1V
Old 12-21-2007, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by mliers
I used that LT1 rebuild book and built my first engine ever which was an LT1 from a bare block up and it ran like a champ when I was done. I had a shop full of tools at my convience which was great. Just triple check everything since it's your first build...thats what I did.

Same here but i built over 25 reg. old skool SBC's
I think of every thing hard like Lego's, put the pieces together correctly and it will work.
Just follow that stupid book thats only good for Trq. Specs, and valve adjustments.

I just finished my First LT1 yesterday, pm me if you have any questions.

My father was surprised it runs good. Just some other bugs im working out (fuel issues).

Last edited by windsma; 12-21-2007 at 10:31 AM.
Old 12-21-2007, 10:51 AM

I bought that book.

Thats what I figured... its not hard... nuts, bolts, torques... its a matter of paying attention.
Old 12-21-2007, 01:50 PM

I've been looking at possibly doing a motor myself too. Let me know how it goes!
Old 12-21-2007, 02:43 PM

30anvZ28: Looks like you made the decision to go-for-it. Probably a very good decision. If you are 1/2 way mechanically inclided then you should be able to build the motor and it should perform very well.
I like that attitude where you might as well build it yourself and you'll know exactly who to blame if there is a mistake. That's why I started building my own engines a few years back.

Also, it's universally known that if someone has a strong interest in a subject that they will do well. You = strong interest in LT1 build correlates to a well built LT1.

Also,also: Keep reading and find a few trusted and seasoned engine builders to bounce questions off of. They do not have to know a thing about the LT1 to be able to offer sound advice. There are quite a few seasoned builder experts here in camaroz28.com and all of them are good folk who will answer even newbe questions. I bugged Ed Wright, (FASTCHIP), day and night with engine building questions when 1st starting out. Local machine shop owners are good for advice too.

The best LT1 engine build book I have ever seen is the GM Shop (HELMS) manual. Certainly I'm sure you can get by with that LT1/LT4 rebuild book shown earlier in the thread though.

Karl Ellwein
Ellwein Engines
Old 12-21-2007, 03:56 PM

I also used www.shbox.com for certain stuff
Old 12-22-2007, 09:56 AM

I am planning my first engine rebuild this winter also, a forged 383 LT1 to run some boost. I have the same attitude as you, that I'd rather learn something than shelling out cash. Plus I will only have myself to blame if something goes wrong. I have the LT1/LT4 rebuild book as well as the Helms manuals, so as long as I'm careful taking measurements and torquing properly, I expect good results. I have the major parts already (machined block, rotating assembly), and plan to start the project in the next few weeks. I don't think it will be ready in time for the LT1 shootout, but hopefully before summer at least. Good luck with your build!

Quick Reply: Rebuilding an LT1... some questions inside...