LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Rebuilding Z - Soliciting Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 09:30 AM

Rebuilding Z - Soliciting Opinions

Here is the situation:
1994 Z28. Was as six speed car. Sold off the M6 and have a built 700R with 3800 stall sitting in the garage. The car itself has been sitting for 2 years under a cover outside (anything to worry about here?). Hasn’t run since I took out the M6. I am getting ready to bring the car home and take it apart. The plan was to pull the motor and go through it. I am debating on how far I should go with it. The stock shortblock only has 68k on it. What I was thinking was to disassemble it and clean it thoroughly. Then brush hone it and reassemble it with new rings, bearings and oil pump. Then I was going to send out the heads and intake to AI and get one of their 200cc packages with the matching valve train. Is this package too much for a stock shortblock? The car is going to be a track only stripper when complete. I am looking for mid to low 10’s on motor with a 3200lbs race weight. I probably have about 4k to play with.

All opinions welcome

Thanks!
Old 09-07-2008, 12:48 PM

4k, IMO your getting darn close to your budget if you wish to buy all supporting mods, you may even have overshot the budget. Just something to think about when building a motor it adds up really quick. However, AI is a great company that has many good results, so your on the right track there. If you ever plan on spraying it on forced induction you may look into the bottom end.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:53 AM

I have pretty much have all of the supporting mods and suspension. I am more worried about the stock short block and the stock rods. I don't plan on spraying more than a 100 shot once and a while just to run a number. I will be 99% NA. Should i do a minor refreshing of the stock short block and put my money on H/C or should I put the money in the lower end? If i keep the shortblock stock, what minor upgrades should I do that won't call for a rebalance. Can I replace rod bolts or should I?
Old 09-09-2008, 12:14 PM

ttt
Old 09-09-2008, 12:58 PM

you need a bigger budget for low 10's unless you have some tricks up your sleeve. The motor will be more expensive than you plan. It always is.

On a 100 shot you will be fine with stock rods. Leave the shortblock alone, fresh rings and bearings will be fine. Plenty of guys do horrible things on stock shortblocks and they hold, I wouldnt worry or lose sleep over it.

The power is in the top end. Thats where i would put my money.

Last edited by slomarao; 09-09-2008 at 01:14 PM.
Old 09-09-2008, 05:04 PM

IMO you should put the gas on it now... Forget the rest! Motor is fine right? No knock, smoke, oil burn, it a 350 it's fine I'm sure. Stock short will hold a 100 shot no problem as long as it's tuned correct (fuel).. Do the heads, if anything for the power, but I would not touch the low end till it blows... This gives you time to research and save for a proper build...... And you will be on the road quickly, and in the 12s pretty easy. If not I vote boost and spend more....

EDIT low tens is not gonna happen at 4K. You will spend half that to hook!

Bill
Old 09-09-2008, 06:35 PM

The AI stuff works well on a stock shortblock, though you might consider at least reconditioning the rods with new bolts since going into the engine anyway. The rodbolts stretching is the most likely cause of rod bearing failures seen once trying to spin up around 6500 and beyond.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
The AI stuff works well on a stock shortblock, though you might consider at least reconditioning the rods with new bolts since going into the engine anyway. The rodbolts stretching is the most likely cause of rod bearing failures seen once trying to spin up around 6500 and beyond.

Does this require rebalancing or special tools to do?
Old 09-10-2008, 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by PWR SHFT
The car itself has been sitting for 2 years under a cover outside (anything to worry about here?).
Only thing I see with this is dirt/dust getting between the cover and your paint along with wind causing a sand paper type affect...
How you doin'?!!! Was just thinking about you the other day and wondering what you were doing w/ that turd.
I'll try to call you this weekend...