LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Recipe for 400 RWHP.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2003, 01:26 AM

Recipe for 400 RWHP.....

Ok i came to the conclusion that this is my goal for my 99 s10. Seriously what better than a s10 slammed on the ground with a 5 inch drop in the front and a 6 inch drop in the back pakcing 400 rwhp? Im not looking for a drag strip king here but this is my goal. I would really like to stay with the stock bottom end for right now until i can upgrade to a 355 bottom end. I will be getting a cc306 cam installed before the motor goes into the truck. I will have full exhaust with shortie headers but will be upgrading to full length down the road. I will also be running a walbro 255 LPH in tank fuel pump. Can you guys give me some numbers here or some recipes to get what i want. Like i said im not really looking for quarter mile slips im looking for the numbers and maybe occasionally run the truck on the street against some un knowing ricers....

O yea this truck will be a Daily driver probably until it is paid off then i can get the beater for the winters and rain.
Old 11-27-2003, 08:55 AM

Trying putting this in the lounge, you will probably get more responses since this not a "LT1 Tech" question.

But a good shot of Nitrious will always help you make more power for little money.
Old 11-27-2003, 09:12 AM

um, it is if he has an LT1 in his truck, and it sound like he does. And as for the question, yeah, that sounds like a good start. Do a search for Lloyd Elliott, he ports heads at a reasonable price, i believe his screen name is night train 66. He would also be a great guy to get a cam suggstion from. Hope this helps, Prorac1
Old 11-27-2003, 09:23 AM

Well, if it a LT1 pickup post all day long.

A while back that show on TNN, "Trucks" did an episode where they dropped an LT1 and the 4 speed auto tranny from a camaro in this S-10. The engine just had minor work done to it such as exhaust and intake. They seemed to have a lot of problems with the truck keeping good traction. 400 horse and the wheel is nice but worthless if you can't hook up.
Old 11-27-2003, 10:13 AM

whats the point of 400rwhp if you cant hook it? youre gonna be eatin those tires off with the truck being extremely lowered. if i was you id do the usual bolt-ons then get a 150 shot and an ignition system / timing setup to match it. id do this so you can get off the line with decent power from your bolt-ons, then hit the gas once youre movin. most LT1 fbodies w/ a 150 shot put down around 425hp at the wheels.
Old 11-27-2003, 11:03 AM

No i dont have an LT1 in my truck YET! It will be going in as soon as March so im just wanting to get this down now. Traction wont be to much of a problem since i will be running a 4 link outback with a posi and some good sized meats. Yea traction will still be an issue but the traction ill be getting will be good enough for the streets. What i was thinking was this. Get the cc306 cam with port matched Lloyd elliot heads along with 2.0 and 1.6 valves and 1.7 rr's. Along with that get the custom made LT's made for the v 8 s10 application and full exhauts behind that with a CAI. Does anyone know where this will get me? I wont be beating it to hard until i get a new rear and a beefed up tranny so i know you guys are gonna say that.
Old 11-27-2003, 11:12 AM
Ai

Search for dyno results... there aren't many guys making 400rw+ SAE.. and even fewer doing it consistently... so it's not too tough to narrow down what will likely get you what you want.
Old 11-27-2003, 11:35 AM

I made 390rwhp with the 306 w/ shorty headers and a 3" B&B Triflow. Since then I have installed Jet Hot LT's and 3" True Duals. Now I believe I am at 400RWHP w/ the new exhaust.
Old 11-27-2003, 07:06 PM

what year s10 is this going in? have you considered that lowering it that much may hurt your take offs? i have a 2000 s10 and i have it lowered 4/5 with belltech spindels and blocks along with the stock gm lowering for the xtreme. and though it made it look so much better, i think it hurt my 60 foots

check out these websites, they will become your favorites very quickly:

www.slammed98gmc.com (383 diect port n20)

www.machperformance.com (known for his help with s10s)

www.leeshightechtrucks.com (all the wiring and lt's you'll need)

hope this helps you out. oh and with those mods you should be able to hit 400 pretty easily, are you running a 4 speed auto or a 6 speed?

adam
Old 11-27-2003, 08:11 PM

Lack of traction sucks.

Last edited by LilJayV10; 11-27-2003 at 10:40 PM.
Old 11-27-2003, 10:38 PM

It won't hook up no matter what you do if you actually hit 400 RWHP. I had an 84 S10. I put a 305 HO from a Monte Carlo SS into it with a TH350 tranny and it would smoke the tires in 2nd gear at 50% throttle. Then I put a built 406 and a TH400 into the thing and I don't think I ever had traction after that. The wierd thing is that the stock rearend didn't ever blow up, I guess cause I never had traction it never put any strain on the thing. I wish I still had it.
Old 11-28-2003, 12:42 AM

Originally posted by fast00xtreme
what year s10 is this going in? have you considered that lowering it that much may hurt your take offs? i have a 2000 s10 and i have it lowered 4/5 with belltech spindels and blocks along with the stock gm lowering for the xtreme. and though it made it look so much better, i think it hurt my 60 foots

check out these websites, they will become your favorites very quickly:

www.slammed98gmc.com (383 diect port n20)

www.machperformance.com (known for his help with s10s)

www.leeshightechtrucks.com (all the wiring and lt's you'll need)

hope this helps you out. oh and with those mods you should be able to hit 400 pretty easily, are you running a 4 speed auto or a 6 speed?

adam

It is going into a 99 s10 Zq8 with a 2/3 drop on top of the Zq8 which is exactly what you did to your xtreme. Anyways after looking at it tonight and looking at it some more i dont think i will be going any lower. Just thinking of the problems i could have including doing minor repairs to it and such. Also i dont feel like dropping the extra 300 or so bucks to go just an inch and a half lower. Considering i only spent 200 on my spindles and blocks to go 2/3 lower. Anyways that isnt the point. those 3 sites i have looked over alot and have actually talked to troy many times via email. Mach performance doesnt really help on the v8 sides of things just with turbo and supercharger. Which they are coming out with a turbo 2.2 for the s10s. And LHT needless to say are awesome. Kinda slow on shipping i here but i will have to deal with that since I will be getting my long tube headers from them and also my Wiring harness wil be coming from current performance which is the guy who does Lees wiring.

I know traction will be a problem but also like i said before this wont be taken tot he drag strip but MAYBE once a year IF that. I work to damn much to be driving 100 miles to run down a quarter mile 6 or 7 times. I will be adding a 4-link and a posi with some 3.73 gears to the rear end and anyways this will be a street machine with ocassional street racing if any at all. I just want the power to be there when i need it which according to my family is never. I will be doing shortie headers off first just to get the motor in there and going but once all said and done i will be looking into full length before the heads are ported. More than likely a year or so after the intial swap is when ill be doing mods and such. Ill be doing a before and after Dyno and a dyno tune before it even hits the streets so ill let you know how it does. What do you guys think my dyno #s will be with these mods first off.

Cai
CC306 cam
1 5/8 primary shortie headers
full exhaust with a h pipe
Walbro 255 LPH in tank pump

What do you guys think?

Thanks for all your help it has helped me a great deal!

Sorry for the long post.

-Eric
Old 11-28-2003, 12:52 AM

330-340 to the wheels is my guess w/ cam only
Old 11-28-2003, 12:52 AM

Yea i know i dont own an fbody but my truck will soon be as fast as one.....
Ever watch that Dodge truck commercial where the goofball pulls up in a rail car? It'll be fast, but it won't be quick. All the power in the world won't help if you can't get it to the ground.

With that combo... 350-360 at the smoking wheels.
Old 11-28-2003, 01:40 AM

Ditch the cc306 for a XE 230/236, and get 1 3/4" shorties instead of 1 5/8". With this combo and ported heads I made 397 to the wheel in my 96 Z, mail order tuned.

Quick Reply: Recipe for 400 RWHP.....