LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Relocating IAT(incoming air temp. sensor)?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2003, 05:24 AM

Relocating IAT(incoming air temp. sensor)?

I relocated my IAT sensor to the end of the airfilter when i installed my K&N fipk, i noticed a decrease in gas mlg after i installed it, however most people on this forum say i should have a increase from the CAI, could i have thrown the computer off by moving this sensor closer to the cool air and giving it a more accurate reading?

Incase anyone does'nt know, its the sensor in the intake elbow, i've read somewhere that moving it closer to the airfilter, if not in the airfilter like i did, should give a slight hp increase..im talking 1-2hp at most.

Is this a wise move or did i mess something up? does anyone have exp. with this?
Old 06-17-2003, 08:28 AM

I am not real sure why people do this...that sensor is only used in SD mode and with our MAF set ups, the SD mode is a back up for the MAF incase it fails. That sensor is just a back up and 1-2HP is not going to show up, that might just be the difference in 2 dyno pulls.
Old 06-17-2003, 07:41 PM

huh, what is the deal??? why do places have detailed instructions and results for this setup and relocating it, on the computer diag charts...it shows the temp. in real time of the incoming air, and changes timing to adjust, you can see it adjust on days with a monitor, so that definetely untrue from what i've seen?
Old 06-17-2003, 07:58 PM

Originally posted by Blue96z28
huh, what is the deal??? why do places have detailed instructions and results for this setup and relocating it, on the computer diag charts...it shows the temp. in real time of the incoming air, and changes timing to adjust, you can see it adjust on days with a monitor, so that definetely untrue from what i've seen?
I am not aware of any pcm tables that show IAT temps vs. spark advance. How do you know it was the IAT and not coolant temps that were causing the changes in spark?
Old 06-17-2003, 08:11 PM

you could be right, i just figured that the temp was from the iat, since it seemed to be much to low for a coolant temp? in do not know though, i only saw this on a pic of the monitor that showed the temp and said it modified spark advance? So you think this sensor is how he described it as well? because i dont know, i would like to though? so should i just put it back in its stock location or does it even matter if its just a back up? how come people sell the kits for resistors and stuff on ebay and such if this dosent help? just asking?
Old 06-17-2003, 08:18 PM

I think Shon is correct. It may work for speed density cars, but not MAF cars. There is another recent thread around where Injuneer explains a little bit about it.

Don't think it will hurt anything to leave it where it is, but I would just as soon have my pcm know what the real air temp is coming into the engine.
Old 06-17-2003, 08:25 PM

Originally posted by Blue96z28
you could be right, i just figured that the temp was from the iat, since it seemed to be much to low for a coolant temp? in do not know though, i only saw this on a pic of the monitor that showed the temp and said it modified spark advance? So you think this sensor is how he described it as well? because i dont know, i would like to though? so should i just put it back in its stock location or does it even matter if its just a back up? how come people sell the kits for resistors and stuff on ebay and such if this dosent help? just asking?
i fell for the relocating IAT sensor too, but after reading this and the other thread we just wasted our money moving the sensor forward, i didnt know it was only a backup sensor
Old 06-17-2003, 08:33 PM

yeah same here.....i saw the other post as well....i think i may move it back to the stock location just for fun though, well thanks anyways guys